Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car has had electrical related ignition issues since I bought it, but I really felt that I had them all solved.. So imagine my surprise when I started losing power on I94 and had to get a tow back home (about 3 miles away or so). The RPMs dropped slowly, so I realized after the fact that it must have been fuel related.. So I opened up the tank and lo and behold, the stepped hose. I never thought it would happen to me but now I realize that until Tuesday, I had never run this car with less than 1/2 a tank of gas! New parts ordered, I'd say it was a successful stress test in the heat - engine temps were pegged at 185 ish for the entire 2+ hrs I was driving around.

CB651D97-8924-4287-8374-EBD79F6D5236.jpeg

I have the chunk that came off, in case you were wondering.

·
Premium Member
23,452 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 85 Spider. Never ran it below half tank, til one day I did, on the freeway in Oakland, when it started sputtering. Luckily, offramp right there and a gas station. Filled up, drove home. Took the unit out, found just what you did. Not the greatest design; these all fail in time, in my experience.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
This car has had electrical related ignition issues since I bought it, but I really felt that I had them all solved.. So imagine my surprise when I started losing power on I94 and had to get a tow back home (about 3 miles away or so). The RPMs dropped slowly, so I realized after the fact that it must have been fuel related.. So I opened up the tank and lo and behold, the stepped hose. I never thought it would happen to me but now I realize that until Tuesday, I had never run this car with less than 1/2 a tank of gas! New parts ordered, I'd say it was a successful stress test in the heat - engine temps were pegged at 185 ish for the entire 2+ hrs I was driving around.

View attachment 1690164 View attachment 1690165

I have the chunk that came off, in case you were wondering.
That will do it every time. Glad you still have the bracket that goes around the fuel pump. I have seen pumps slide off of that hose without that bracket even with hose clamps

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
odd the hose looks so destroyed and yet the pump looks almost new (with perfect zinc plating, no signs of corrosion at all....)
was it a correct stepped hose you think? or does it look like some (non submersible) fuel hose jammed in there?

I carry a spare stepped hose in the trunk (along with enough stuff to get most broken down S4s back up and running if I came across one on the side of the road..)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might look worse than what it really was because I picked at it a bit. It does look correct though, and I have to think its all original too. The tank is crystal clear, so I wasn't expecting much rust in and around the components. Even the sock was not super dirty.

I find humor in the idea of trailering a spare spider in case my primary spider breaks down =).

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Being completely ignorant about later model Spiders, out of curiosity I did a little search on the issue, and was completely surprised to find that the stepped hose appears to be on the output side of pump. So how does it work with a broken hose at a half-full tank and above? Does the main pump have enough suction to draw fuel from the tank on its own? And if so, why does it need the in-tank pump at all?

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
yes, main pump can draw fuel on its own (eventually it will struggle, make wierd noises and then fail)
under 1/2 that hose is not submerged and the main pump sucks air, then fails

alfa recognised a problem with the injected cars where the 'pick-up' was on top of the tank and sent out a TSB to add the in-tank pumps to existing cars (thereafter the in-tank was added at the factory)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts