Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My spider 86-model has lost its front lightning og left side. The headlight and the parklight on the same side. I`ve checked the bulbs and they seem okay.

I`ve also googled and found the fuse box diagram for this car. Seems like those lights have each a different fuse. I`ve also tried to touch the fuses and turn them around to see if that could fix it, but the only result I got from that was losing the lightning on the right side a couple of times..

Any idea what the problem might be? I lost both lights at the same and suddenly, I think. How am I able to tell if some fuses are defect? Can I tell by looking at them?

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I would take a good look at the ground connections at that corner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering!

There are two wires coming and are joined up in a split/splitter/switch/ a connection (don`t exactly know what to call it, even in norwegian which is my language)..

This connection is supposed to be connected to the headlight. There`s a single wire going from this connection further to the park light. Can it be that simple that the connection is loose? But that doesn`t make sense, does it (?), because the park light could light even though the head light was screwed out and/or deconnected, right?!

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I would take a good look at the ground connections at that corner.
If not the ground(s), it might be your light switch ( this was my clue to start a rebuild ).

Biggish job ( well, mostly fiddley ) - could squirt some Cleanitup® in there to see if it improves anything - if it does, you'll still havta fix the switch eventually...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`ve had some problems with this light previously. But then it suddenly has come back, and I have stopped thinking about it. The switch..hmm. Is that viewable from the front seat? Is it under and behind the steering wheel?

I`m living in Norway but the car is parked in a garage in Denmark during the winter season. I`m soon going to bring the car to the ferry and drive down to the garage. I`m going to drive on the highway after dark and no ligtning on the highways in Denmark, so I need to fix this within three weeks. Is the easy-fix method just to touch and make some movement on the wires connected to the switch and see if that helps?

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Check for voltage at the affected lights. If you have battery volts at the positive side, check for the voltage at the grounding side. If there is voltage at the negative side you have a ground issue. If no voltage it could be a bulb socket problem.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I`ve had some problems with this light previously. But then it suddenly has come back, and I have stopped thinking about it. The switch..hmm. Is that viewable from the front seat? Is it under and behind the steering wheel?
If it is the switch, it is easier to remove the Steering Wheel to get at the headlight switch just behind it. It's at the other end of that stalk you use to turn on the lights/flash/high beam.

I`m living in Norway but the car is parked in a garage in Denmark during the winter season. I`m soon going to bring the car to the ferry and drive down to the garage. I`m going to drive on the highway after dark and no ligtning on the highways in Denmark, so I need to fix this within three weeks. Is the easy-fix method just to touch and make some movement on the wires connected to the switch and see if that helps?
Prolly not, as the problem usually concerns the the switch contacts housed inside a little box they live in. They will need to be cleaned & sanded as there is prolly cruft built up between the contacts. [remember ignition points?]
But you won't know any of this till you take it all apart.
Easy.
Putting it back is a little challenging, but w/determination, anything is possible.

Pray for grounds...

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. Thanks. Can you take some days off and come over from the states and fix it for me? Or maybe I need a wire diagram then?

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
A switch problem would not explain the loss of lights on one corner of the car only would it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My '84 recently lost the front right turn signal and marker light. After reaching up in there behind the lights I cleaned the connectors (there are several) they are back on.....most of the time. Next are the ground connections. I think that'll do it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The factory headlight grounds on S3 spiders are really crap. It is supplied by a pig tail wire going from the head lamp plug to one of the sheet metal screws which holds the headlight bucket to the fender. These screws go into U-Clip speed nuts on the painted hole in the fender which receives the bucket. A worse means of supplying ground could not be imagined.

I had my 88 quad repainted late last year, taken apart and painted in pieces. Evenything got many coats of new paint. During the reassembly process, when I was installing the headlight buckets I drilled a new hole in each bucket, in the top behind the light assembly. I fitted these new holes with a small rubber gromet and fed a heavy 12 gauge wire through each gromet. One end of each new ground wire is spliced onto the ground wire coming from the lamp socket and the other end has a round eyelet attached to the intake opening sheet metal with a bolt and self locking nut. All this attrachment hardware is stainless steel. I sanded the intake sheet metal where the ground bolt holes are to the bare metal and applied dielectric grease to the bare spots. Now I have totally positive independent grounds to each headlight and no longer have intermittent headlamps.

Previously I had intermittent head and side lamp operations. I also created new positive ground wires to each front parking/turn indicator lamp, going from the mounting bolts to a smiliar hole in the intake sheet metal with the same attention to hardware and metal to metal contact.

Where Alfas are concerned, you can have too little ground but you can never have to much ground.

Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts