Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out last night at a friends and as I was pulling away, he stopped me and pointed out a liquid stain on the street. I checked my oil and brake fluid levels (both were OK), and drove the car the couple of miles home. There didn't seem to be anything amiss.
This morning, there was a small amount of fluid in the garage and I looked under the car and on the passenger side, behind the oil pan, there's a plug missing and whatever fluid was in there has drained out. (see pic). I've looked through the service manual twice and can't figure out what it is. So my stupid question is, what is it and what drained out?

Attachments

28,704 Posts
So what is missing oil on dip stick or coolant in radiator or something else. You need preflight your machine for vital fluids.

Not to mention - please identify what year and model of Alfa you are asking about.

· Registered
1,868 Posts
From the picture it's a 105 series car.

The hole you've circled is in the lower cross member which holds the engine and front suspension in place! This has no fluids in it, it's a plain box section part of the structure of the body/chassis.

Are you sure the leak's coming from there?

AFAIK there aren't any drain holes or plugs in these UNLESS the car's been drilled to fill this cavity with wax and a plug's been put in there.

Here's a nice picture of the top of this "reservoir" -

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem resolved...

This car is a 1986 AR Spider.

I guess I need to clean the undercarriage so I can se things better.

Problem solved, BTW, as I checked my car for both vital and 'non' vital fluids. Washer fluid reservoir is cracked and leaked fluid when I filled it.

I guess I panic when I see fluid on the ground...once bitten.

:rolleyes:

· Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Mound Dawg is right, it is likely your steering box.
Pop the little plastic cover off and see if you can see any fluid in there.
Also look on the bottom side and pitman arm to see if its covered in oil.
The lower seal has probably failed, and you either replace it or do what others have, which is fill it with very thick oil (consistency of molasses).

· Registered
1,761 Posts
From the picture it's a 105 series car.

The hole you've circled is in the lower cross member which holds the engine and front suspension in place! This has no fluids in it, it's a plain box section part of the structure of the body/chassis.

Are you sure the leak's coming from there?

AFAIK there aren't any drain holes or plugs in these UNLESS the car's been drilled to fill this cavity with wax and a plug's been put in there.

Here's a nice picture of the top of this "reservoir" -

Jim,

That picture is downright cruel to show us mere mortals. I could eat off of that crossmember! Mean, mean, mean.

· Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Reversed steering box?

Perhaps the photo shows a transplant from Great Britain, or some other backward country where they drive on the wrong side of the road:D.

An easy fix for proper viewing, however. I just held my iPad up to the mirror. Strangely enough, I could not see my own reflection :eek:. Advice?

Also, in a feeble effort to stay on topic, I only become concerned about "new" leaks. EPA wants to declare Bella's side of the garage a Superfund Site :(.

· Registered
2,068 Posts
running along the front of the crossmember is a plastic hose, the drain for the vapor seperator. my 74 had a crumbled hose, and it was the source of a lot of "leaks" oiling up the bottom f my engine and frame. I guess they put it there to cut down on rust. it goes from the oil vapor seperator to the dipstick tube base to drain the oil back into the sump.
cliff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.