Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today while driving my 1992 164 (12V, RHD) the interior fan suddenly stopped, and I later found none of the electricals controlled by the ignition switch worked - ie windows, seats, radio, headlights etc. Other electricals are OK (eg hazards, interior lights), and the car starts & runs normally. I can't see any blown fuses. Strangely, while fiddling, the failed items suddenly came good for about 30 secs, but then went off again and I couldn't reproduce this sequence. Is there a single fuse or relay that controls all these items, or is it likely to be a faulty ignition switch?
Grateful for any suggestions.
-- Dave

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Probably switch, so try jumping from red power wire to pink wire in connector going to switch and see if those systems come back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Steve .. that red-to-pink bypass restored all electricals except the headlights, so clearly it is a faulty ignition switch. I've run a separate wire from the battery to this pink connector so I can have blinkers while driving to my mechanic's shop.
On a separate note, while fiddling, I noted that the hot 12V lead to the horn button is a black wire with a black connector - I expected black would have been reserved for earth connections. I suppose it IS headed for earth, via the horn switch.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It's always a good idea to check the rest of the wiring while you're at it. The old insulation can crack easily when exposed to some solvents. Only when you move the wires you can see the insulation crumbling. I had this problem on the tachimetric relay on my 4-cylinder 2.0 Turbo.

·
Premium Member
27,284 Posts
Thanks for the help Steve .. that red-to-pink bypass restored all electricals except the headlights, so clearly it is a faulty ignition switch. I've run a separate wire from the battery to this pink connector so I can have blinkers while driving to my mechanic's shop.
On a separate note, while fiddling, I noted that the hot 12V lead to the horn button is a black wire with a black connector - I expected black would have been reserved for earth connections. I suppose it IS headed for earth, via the horn switch.
The horn button is a ground to earth for horn relay when pushed so black it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts