Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Most US groups frown on fiberglass doors.
Why is that?

Once a steel door is gutted it is as weak as a fibreglass door.

So these groups would prefer that original doors are cut up depleting the stock of unrusty doors ... makes no sense to me.

Now if you not allowed to gut the door, yep I'd get their view ...
Pete

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Just to remind you youngsters, AutoDelta has the same problems getting the GTA's down to their class 980 KG weight in the 60's. With LARGE budgets they made aluminum for any panel that wasn't structural, even the floor pans, as still could not get there. They even rifle drilled the rear axles.

Robert

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Just to remind you youngsters, AutoDelta has the same problems getting the GTA's down to their class 980 KG weight in the 60's. With LARGE budgets they made aluminum for any panel that wasn't structural, even the floor pans, as still could not get there. They even rifle drilled the rear axles.

Robert
980 Kilos is 2160 pounds My 64 Sprint Registration weight is 2050 ...Guess I should put it on a scale and check it.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sebring

Okay, I know where Glastonbury is. I am heading to Sebring next week for the SVRA vintage races. When I get back , we should get in touch.

[email protected]
Cool. I'm in Sebring the week of the 12th for the support races with HSR before the 12 hour race. By 8 PM on Saturday most people don't even realize there's a race going on all around their party.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
CT Events

We are in Brewster,NY.
Not sure about the NY chapter, but the CT chapter is pretty active with drives, etc. in the nice weather. We also have a regular brunch every couple of weeks, typically in Woodbury... not too hard to get to from Salem/Brewster.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Doors

cool thread

your donors are the newer doors mostly like with the wire reel window mech vs the old ones with the crank?

to avoid a floppy cutaway door, you can drill a hundreds holes in your door frames. swage flair the larger ones. done right, it can be much stronger and lighter than the stock doors while retaining the original sheet metal without additional reinforcements.
I sense the opportunity to buy a new tool:)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
My '66 GTV weighs 1850 pounds or so depending on the wheels it wears etc. And it has a least 25 pounds of unnecessarily roll cage bars and a full-size battery. Wheels are critical because they are rotating mass and unsprung weight. As discussed, a lot of weight can come out of the doors. Lexan front and rear windscreens save a lot of weight. My car has fiberglass flares which probably weigh less than the steel cut out under them. An aluminum radiator won't necessarily cool better, but weighs a lot less. The late model starters are a lot lighter than the early ones. Fiberglass hood and deck lids save lots of pounds. A tubular front sway bar.

Adding lightness, as they say, is all about the details. If it isn't necessary, and the rules don't require it, lose it! You don't have to rifle drill the axles, transmission main shaft and cams to get rid of a lot :smile2:

Erik

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
OK. I used some real research instead of using my Wine-addled memory. The GTA weight limit was 720 KG, or about 1600 lbs, not 960 KG.

Sorry

Robert

41 - 49 of 49 Posts