Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Headliner

Starter motor from a Twin Spark 75/ Milano decent weight saving also works better, doors really make a difference although I think reskinning standard doors not so much, my GT sat up when I put fiberglass doors on. Does anyone know the weight difference of rear window glass versus plexi ? also I have been keeping my headliner because I like it but how much weight would that save ?
Mine had to go in order to weld in the cage. I have a light-weight gear-reduction starter that weighs half that of the original.

Doors!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Great Input

Lots of good comments. I got my Gtv down to 1870 pounds, and it’s still all steel (no driver or fuel)

The later doors have very heavy crash beams in them, they can go. Then gut the rest and replace the stock latch with something light weight. Speedway motors has good options.

You can cut most of the hood and trunk bracing out too.

Glass is a big one. Go with plastic all around.

If you can take a few hundred pounds out, it will change your whole suspension setup, ride height etc. it’ll be like a new car.
Thanks! This is definitely the way I'm going.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ounces

Hit post to fast...

Pitch the Dust shields
Headlights and wiring
Cut the exh down
Lose some or all of the stainless trim.
Lose the Heat shield under the driver
Toss the Brake booster

I’m sure there are lots more without huge spending. Just look at the car and channel Colin Chapman!
Wow... now we're talking ounces. I agree but it will be a while before I get to this point.

How's the braking without the booster?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Rules

Ah yes, lots of good stuff at Alfaholic$ (note revised spelling). If the rules you run under allow such a change they make a coil over front spring kit that saves almost 19 lb. and also their rear coil over setup. Both use small diameter springs compared to the large stock versions and the front kit eliminates the spring pan.

Then, you can always consider their ever-popular Titanium suspension bolts... :devil2:
Thank you George.

Between SCCA club racing and VRG/HSR I don't think I can do the suspension mods.

However, I poured over your spider at the 2015 convention in CT and really like the custom air box and other mods. You are unbelievably fast!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pedals and Booster

If you are still running the stock pedal box, brake MC, and booster, those together were surprisingly heavy when I removed mine. The Tilton setup I am using feels quite a bit lighter. Also has a practical use as you get better bias adjustability and a redundancy benefit.
Thanks. Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
If you are still running the stock pedal box, brake MC, and booster, those together were surprisingly heavy when I removed mine. The Tilton setup I am using feels quite a bit lighter. Also has a practical use as you get better bias adjustability and a redundancy benefit.

Thanks. Can you elaborate?
I am running a Tilton boosterless firewall mount pedal box and dual master cylinder. Spruell used to make an adapter plate to mount the pedal box, but it would not be difficult at all to make one yourself. This gives you the ability to run a remote bias adjuster so you can adjust on the fly.

I’m also running Alfaholics 6-piston brakes, but braking is fantastic :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Lots of good ideas. Here's the approach I would take:

1 - unsprung rotating mass (i.e. Wheels)
2 - other unsprung mass (i.e. calipers, dust shields etc)
3 - sprung rotating mass (i.e. flywheel)
4 - other sprung mass ( i.e. Body parts, glass etc)

Losing weight is a far better way to increase power to weight than increasing power. Losing weight helps braking and handling too!

Erik

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Compliments to an old guy are nice, thanks. A lot of my modifications are allowed under SCCA Autocross rules, and the AROC Competition Code; which are likely not as restrictive as what you deal with for SCCA club racing and VRG/HSR.

Back to your car (it's fun suggesting changes to someone else's car), have you considered an Aluminum radiator for weight reduction?. Wes Ingram sells a very nice version with an integral oil cooler. And, I didn't see where you use a small lightweight alternator. This provides several lb. weight reduction.

My cold air box design is per Wes Ingram and I use his aftermarket ram tubes for SPICA, but a cold air box also works with Webers. If you don't already have one, the very slight weight penalty would surely be offset by the additional power.

Thank you George.

Between SCCA club racing and VRG/HSR I don't think I can do the suspension mods.

However, I poured over your spider at the 2015 convention in CT and really like the custom air box and other mods. You are unbelievably fast!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Picked up some donor doors... anyone have any experience they'd like to share on how to lighten these? I just want to be careful not to lose all structural integrity.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
structural integrity?! that's what the cage is for! :)

depending on the year - they have have side impact beams. they're about 30 lbs each. cut those out.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Yes, flywheel is aluminum.

My current doors have the side impact beams but the donors do not. Maybe I don't have to do any cutting and instead just need to clean them up, paint them, and replace the glass with Lexan?

·
Registered
69 Posts
As Kevin said the cage side bars are your protection. You should be able to cut the inside of the door leaving about 3 -4 inches all around. Basically the door is hollow. Depending on the door maybe some kind of X brace. And you don't need any glass or lexan in the doors. Just front, back and side .
Mike, where in Ct do you live ? I am in South Salem NY , 10 min from Danbury. Be happy to stop by some time.

Vince

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Doors

As Kevin said the cage side bars are your protection. You should be able to cut the inside of the door leaving about 3 -4 inches all around. Basically the door is hollow. Depending on the door maybe some kind of X brace. And you don't need any glass or lexan in the doors. Just front, back and side .
Mike, where in Ct do you live ? I am in South Salem NY , 10 min from Danbury. Be happy to stop by some time.

Vince
Thanks Vince. I really admire your car - looks awesome. I'm in Glastonbury, just SE of Hartford if you're ever in the area.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yes, flywheel is aluminum.

My current doors have the side impact beams but the donors do not. Maybe I don't have to do any cutting and instead just need to clean them up, paint them, and replace the glass with Lexan?
cool thread

your donors are the newer doors mostly like with the wire reel window mech vs the old ones with the crank?

to avoid a floppy cutaway door, you can drill a hundreds holes in your door frames. swage flair the larger ones. done right, it can be much stronger and lighter than the stock doors while retaining the original sheet metal without additional reinforcements.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my doors are basically nothing but a flimsy frame to hold the skin. you can get really good lightweight latches too....speedway carries good options.

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Why ruin steel doors, just buy fibreglass ones!

Pete

21 - 40 of 49 Posts