Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tried and tried and this won't hardly budge. Moves slightly then stops with impact wrench, breaker bar, etc. I have a feeling the last guy that tightened it stripped it down. Tried liquid wrench etc but not heat, any risk with that? assembly is off the car and doing a complete bearing change and rotor change or turn. Cutting it off seems impossible without ruining the assembly completely. Any thought?

My thought was if it can be pushed out the other side?I removed the two screws on the hub and that lifted away some. Can it be pounded out the back side? I know would take the rear bushing and seal with it, that's good but not sure of clearance with the washer on front side going out that way. I'm assume the front bearing race won't push out that way. Please advise, hopefully I'm making sense.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AlfaJay, I knew that but didn't apply that, how stupid of me! I've did turn it that way to see if I could then loosen counter clock and it didn't come loose but I didn't put much effort into that direction.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up question. Now that I've got both apart, I still need to remove the bearing and seal on the rear. And I should be replacing the race on the front as well, correct? How best to remove everything, I have a press but I'm thinking that's overkill for this. ImageUploadedByAG Free1416612717.321994.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1416612729.802996.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
I still need to remove the bearing and seal on the rear.
I use a tool that looks like this to remove that seal:

That tool will destroy the old seal, but that usually isn't an issue. Once the seal is removed, the bearing will just fall out.

And I should be replacing the race on the front as well, correct?
Not necessarily, no. Unless the race is pitted or otherwise damaged, I just thoroughly clean out the old grease, re-lubricate, and re-use the bearings & races. Others may disagree, but given the low miles my cars see, I have never had any problems with well-lubricated bearings that pass visual inspection.

If you do need to remove that race, it is lightly pressed in. A brass drift inserted from the rear, and tapped around the circumference of the outer race will knock it free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts