Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't find any reference to this in other searched threads so I thought I'd ask really quickly.

Basically, the entire cylindrical VVT unit can be pulled in and out of the aluminum housing, which IS secured well to the cam cover. Just the unit itself is loose. The little plunger moves freely in the cover.

Obviously this is an issue - because of it moves in too far it can actuate the plunger manually and of course the vacuum leak.

So my question - how was this originally secured? Rubber gasket? The old rubber gasket has turned to mush. So, how was it mounted, with what, and at what depth and orientation? The workshop manual wasn't clear on this.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Vintre - much appreciated.

I took it all apart and cleaned the VVT solenoid and the housing. Then I neatly and carefully wrapped the solenoid in good clean electrical tape, measuring size relative to interior of housing with calipers. Then mounted it all and tapped it firmly in place with a wooden block and rubber mallet until I could peer through the little hole in the aluminum housing.

Fired up the car and worked the throttle with my hand and saw it neatly opening and closing.

I mean, electrical tape is pretty darn close to a rubber bushing. And it's in there rock solid. I'm pretty tickled at how easily that worked out.

A permanent solution? Mate or maybe not. But until an alternative becomes widely available I'd say it's a pretty good rubber grommet. :)

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Glad that worked out for you.

Keep an eye on it though.

I actually lost the entire solenoid during a drive once, never to be found.

Opened the hood, found the housing and 2 cut wires.

Good luck,

Vin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,509 Posts
As Vin mentioned, APE does sell solid replacement bushings if you decide to go with something more permanent.

·
Registered
520 Posts
my mechanic used a radiator hose, cut to length and then wrapped the VVT in that. worked for the past 110k miles so far

1 - 7 of 7 Posts