Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a used and tattered 2000 Alfa 156 that is being offered to me to buy. I took a trip to see it, it's a reasonable drive from me and of course, I am torn.:confused:

It's a 2000 1.8 Twin Spark, has been sitting for 2 years, and needs work. The right rear door is totaled, and the front bumper and fender/wing has damage. I understand that it is not a high spec car, and likely not worth much aside from it being here. Right hand drive, no a/c. (Ugh...) With a door, (sourced) and paint work, recon, I figure it will cost a couple grand to get it nice again, assuming no ugly stuff is bad under the hood. Has power front windows, 5 speed, nothing fancy.

To me, it's a $2000 car on a good day. Opinions?

Thanks for any input.
Bill
"AlfaBill"®

·
Registered
561 Posts
Never imported,not crash tested,never get it legally registered,needs a ton of work... nice lawn ornament.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
IMO whatever you are prepaired to pay. I don't think the interest exist to buy an RHD Alfa that can't be used on public roads in the US.
If you buy, have the cam belt and pulleys chanced before driving it unless documented proof that belt was changed in the last 3 year or 40000 miles.
Erik

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,452 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I agree that it is a risk situation. I'm not sure the "rareness" of the car over here justifies mad money. It's a rough car. I have driven it, a few years ago. It's been a while. I didn't want to crank it as the fuel is 2 years old, maybe not a dealbreaker, but why aggravate it.

We'll see what happens. I can only imagine what the a/c kit costs, and in Florida, it's a must have.

Best regards,
AlfaBill

·
Registered
732 Posts
The lower price I have found this car in europe is 1500€, I can't understand why AllthingsZagato say 350£ (475€) sounds crazy (junk is more expensive).

The 156 is one of the best cars in its class in handling (believe me, it was considered by some European car manufacturers as class reference until the arrival of the new mazda 6). So if you like it (156 design is delicious) and you are ready to fight (or pay) for the homologation issues, you will enjoy an exclusive Alfa in the USA (but better try to import a left hand drive one, and with the V6 engine).

Paco.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The price in Europe really has no bearing on the price in the US.

For reference, compare the prices of good 164s or 75s.

In many US states, it is relatively easy to keep an old car on the road. Roadworthiness tests? Practically non-existent in many places.

Then add rarity to the equation. I'd say the car in question is rare, wouldn't you? Illegal, but rare.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Take a look at the pictures

The price in Europe really has no bearing on the price in the US.

For reference, compare the prices of good 164s or 75s.

In many US states, it is relatively easy to keep an old car on the road. Roadworthiness tests? Practically non-existent in many places.

Then add rarity to the equation. I'd say the car in question is rare, wouldn't you? Illegal, but rare.
Rare or not rara, it's a trafic damaged RHD old car which is illigal in the US. Very few parts for it are not readily avaiable in the US, so it would be hard to make it a track day car or a garden ornament.
If anything send it to the Caribians.
Erik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts