Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,I am Looking for some help from Alfisti on this forum. On Tuesday 7/15 going to look at a 1992 164-S with 115,000 Mi Manual Trans in good condition Just had a Spring tune up. Timming belt,4 new pirelli's,oil and filter change,and tune up. The owner is approx 45yrs old and has owned the car for 3 years. Here is my Question is there anything that I should Know when I go to Inspect the car? Like paticular Noises or clicking or oil drips etc. Is this a Good Year for The 164-S? I saw a Picture and it's Black with two tone Light and Dark gray bottom and Black Leather Interior looks very Clean Thanks In Advance..........Dr Alfredo Romeo~

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ahhhh what a wonderful car! Similar to the one my wife had before I totalled it by hitting a deer!!

As far as things to look for besides regular maintainence, timing belts, engine mounts, etc. I would ask about the A/C stepper motor! Seems they go bad and are a real pain to fix. Check out http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/ and look around there for some great 164 specific info.

Good Luck-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reply , I Heard there are metal gears for the stepper motors and that solves the problem once and for all do you know about this? Thanks Dr Alfredo~:D

·
Registered
484 Posts
164 S's have a few unique things to look for, and a few things that are common to all 164's. The S's have a heavy rear spoiler that tends to warp the rear quarter panels due to springs that are inadequate to support the added weight of the spoiler on the trunk lid. Also unique to the S's is the poor paint retention on the rear spoiler and side view mirrors. The S's also have an adjustable suspension (sport and auto) mode. Check to see that they work (while driving). Very expensive to replace with stock adjustable shocks. All 164's go through steering racks like they were nothing. Check maintenance records. A car with this mileage should also have had the water pump changed with the timing belt and the radiator (plastic) needs attention by now. Exhaust also an expensive fix, especially if the catalytic converter is done. The general.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks General, I went to see the car today. Here is what I found in spite of not understanding much About the 164-S: First I heard the Stepper Motors clicking from outside the car when he stared it, the Paint on the hood, roof and spoiler area need to be Painted(very Dull orange peel looking, fogs didn't work, speedometer not working 115,00 on the miles??? carpets trashed needs replacement and mats,drivers seat riped in several places need complete re cover (leather Recaro) gas door broke need to open trunk to pull plunger for door to open to get gas,headlights were steamy looking not real clear. headliner dirty, dash warped at top of speedo,motor was very dirty and oil filmed. I also noticed wet oil in the lip of the air cleaner top cover,heard valve taps,went for a ride ran fast and shifted well but he drove the car.....ok enough already!!! I made a decision to pass on the car bottom price $4,500 to me not worth it. I will wait to get a clean S prefer 1993 red/black thanks for the input...........Dr Alfredo Romeo~

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Here is one for you to check out down in Miami:

92 164 S

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts