Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'nuff said; I recall a project posted here that implanted the 3.2 stroker and Squard,a and had what (guessing) 300HP dynoed?

·
Registered
119 Posts
A friend of mine did a 3.2 on his 164. He kept the block and swapped the heads.
This is his channel on YouTube. Didn't seem a huge difference in performance to me, although there is some difference.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
friend of mine did a 3.2 on his 164
Hello Tharanga :) I am happy to find you on the forum.

My project on my 164 is soon finished, I still have to install a quaife differential in the gearbox and it will be perfect :)

'nuff said; I recall a project posted here that implanted the 3.2 stroker and Squard,a and had what (guessing) 300HP dynoed?
The conversion to 3.2 of my 164 24V, I simply installed in the engine block 164 the crankshaft and the flywheel, the cylinders, the connecting rods and the pistons of a 3.2 GTA engine.
I also used the 164 heads, I only installed the intake 3.2 camshafts. The exhaust camshafts are identical between 3.0 and 3.2.

I was inspired by this conversion which was carried out a few years ago:

This superb 164 black was then adjusted by Squadra Tuning and which obtained 267cv, Here is the video of the optimization of the ecu:

I currently have this setting on my 164 3.2 and I can tell you that the horses are there :)

Starting from a base of 210hp, the conversion to 3.2 brings a gain of almost 60hp which is enormous.

Before the conversion, my 164 was equipped with 45 mm intake pipes as well as a squadrachip which brought the power to 240 hp.
In my case, I estimate the gain of the conversion 3.2 about 30cv. The result in acceleration I think is very satisfactory because I gain 2sec on the measurement of 100 - 200 km / h (15sec with the 3.0 and 13sec with the new 3.2 engine)

Here is a comparative video on the measurement of 60 to 150 km / h, above the video it is the 3.2 engine and below is the 3.0 engine. The gearboxes are also different because I now have a 6 speed gearbox in my 164.
The gain is also very clear with the new 3.2 engine.

In conclusion the conversion to 3.2 was a real pleasure at realize, I am very satisfied with the results and it is a real pleasure to drive a 164 of 28 years with such an engine :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Swapped the heads with a 3.2 unit? Is there any difference between the 24v 3.0 and 3.2 heads. I thought the biggest difference between the two engines is the extra 200cc gained by the slightly longer stroke.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, i used the heads 164. They are very similar but the heads 3.2 are incompatible with the block 164, because of the oil pump system which is very different between these two generations of engine.
Indeed the differences between 3.0 and 3.2 are 220cm3, the pistons have the same bore but are different and the intake camshafts have a different profile. On the basic engine with 45mm pipes fitted, these small developments represent around 30 / 40hp of gain.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I show you the photo, on the left it is the intake camshaft 3.2 and on the right it is the intake camshaft 3.0. If I'm not mistaken, the distribution diagram for 3.2 and 8.55.47.9 and the diagram for 3.0 and 9.47.47.9. So, the intake valves this close later with the camshaft 3.2, this promotes power at high revs.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I find that 164 parts are getting more difficult to source.The164 24v was not produced in large numbers, so if you get the opportunity to get a 156 long block get that instead. For example tensioners, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets etc are all different between the 156 24v and 164 24v engines. The 156 24v engine came in the 156,147, GT,Spider,GTV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Indeed the various gaskets and other tensioners of new generation engines are easy to find.
The gaskets for the 164 24V engine are difficult to find individually, however the complete set of gaskets for the 164 24V engine is still available, but for how long ?! There is a Ferrari timing belt tensioner available and identical to the 164 24v, but expensive :(

A new generation engine can adapt in a 164 24v, but will require a lot of modification of the accessories in order to fix the alternator at the front of the block and the power steering pump at the rear.
To adapt to motronic 1.7, it will also be necessary to install the front face of the engine 164 on the new generation engine to operate the sensor ( unless it is possible to operate the TDC sensor with the flywheel ) and also install the rear engine support 164.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Yeah parts will be a problem. The 164 24v was probably one of the lowest number of 164 model produced. Alfa was still selling the 164 in 1997 but from what I see Is, some of it were using the latest and last version of the 3.0 12V. Many were V6 Turbos, 2.0 8-valve Turbos and maybe even diesels. That means the chances of manufacturers producing 164 specific 24v parts are slim.
Next year I will stock up on 164 gaskets, In case I blow another HG. Already blew one last year on the 3.2 LOL.

has anyone tried Ajusa gaskets? My supplier of choice is VictorReinz via OKP or Tyunder

·
Premium Member
27,100 Posts
I used a 12v 3.0L Ajusa gasket set years ago.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The 24v gasket set I have is Ajusa. Have just posted a query about head gasket change.
And parts wise, grabbed a spare 164 24v tensioner when saw one come up on ebay a while back. Been grabbing parts for a while as future availability always a question. For same reason keep the used parts, as templates for potential rebuilds. Had to build an extra shed to store it all...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts