Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello i live in san francisco and i was looking to buy a 1974 alfa romeo spider
it has 180,000 mile on it about 20,000 on a rebuilt engine, he has service records for the last 10 years or so, its always been serviced. it runs good from what i can tell and it has virtually no rust and a great interior it also always starts on the first try has a new top, all electrical works. the only issue is the paint its not that bad but in some areas(3 areas) it has some blemishes and it looks like a car backed into it and left its license plate #s on it :eek: no structural damage but it did leave some scrapes on the top of the bonnet. there is also a large srape on the passenger side door. he whants $4300 usd for it is it worth it?
this is my first time buying an alfa....... fell in love with them when my friend let me drive his.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Looking to Buy a 1974 Spider, is the Price Right?

hello i live in san francisco and i was looking to buy a 1974 alfa romeo spider
it has 180,000 mile on it about 20,000 on a rebuilt engine, he has service records for the last 10 years or so, its always been serviced. it runs good from what i can tell and it has virtually no rust and a great interior it also always starts on the first try has a new top, all electrical works. the only issue is the paint its not that bad but in some areas(3 areas) it has some blemishes and it looks like a car backed into it and left its license plate #s on it :eek: no structural damage but it did leave some scrapes on the top of the bonnet. there is also a large srape on the passenger side door. he whants $4300 usd for it is it worth it?
this is my first time buying an alfa....... fell in love with them when my friend let me drive his.
Welcome to the bb --- or at least as a new poster.

With the information furnished, about all I can tell you is that 1974 was a good spider year and one some seek out. You don't say where you are located in relationship to the car. It's really hard for anyone to give a relative, let alone relavent, value based on a description without pictures. My $4,300 car might be very different from yours just based on use of the English language and interpretation of what you wrote about the damage or "blemishes" as they appeared to you. Your blemish might be moderate damage to me.

I would suggest either posting some pictures or finding some one in your area that is Alfa knowledgeable that would be willing to go look at the car with you and who knows the hidden Alfa problems to look for. Another alternative is to hire someone to do it for you.

HTH.

·
Registered
572 Posts
criler - I've been looking too...

the price on that car sounds VERY good compared to some others out there. I priced some restoration costs..new top (re-finish frame, install, etc.)....rubber trim and flooring....(and install)....proper dash (and install)...etc.. and it is all VERY expensive and soon your inexpensive ride is easily 5 figures. Body and paint are variable, from expensive to really expensive! This is just cosmetic stuff - there is still MECHANICAL things to consider as well - yikes, be careful!

I love the series 2 spiders just like you - they are the best in terms of styling, performance, and 'classic' look spiders imho...at reasonable price.

·
Registered
572 Posts
also want to add...

some owners of cars who do brakes, bushings, driveline 'stuff' confuse maintenance with restoration. Restoration costs are high to do right. A car should drive - properly and SAFELY.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Based on what you say, and considering San Francisco prices, that sounds good. It might be a good idea to take it to a body man and see what it would cost to fix up the dings and maybe buff out the paint. Did you look for rust under the floor mats and in the spare tire well in the trunk. Also, you should read the sticky "Pre-purchase Inspection on a Spica Injected Alfa."

Post some pictures for us and we can give you a more competent opinion.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
listen to roadtrip - you need to get an idea of how much it would be to for the added cost of working on the car after.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts