Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what sort of 16" wheels will fit on a 75/Milano? My brother currently has the stock 15x7's on his '87 Platinum but the universal wear indicator is showing (steel belts are poking out the tire) and instead of getting another set of tires, he'd like to put larger wheels in the back, maybe 16x8's or something. Yes, he will need to "modify" the arches, but what sort of wheels will work on these cars? Does Panasport make wheels to fit? Any references for aftermarket wheels for a 75/Milano would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, different size rims front and rear

Yes, my brother would like to run larger tires in the back (for better traction) and something like 15x7's in the front. While we can "modify" the rear arches a bit to accept the wheels, it is my understanding that we'd need to get the 75 Evo front fenders and bumper to fit larger rims in the front.

And the way the cars handle, I am not sure much more tire up front helps much. Oh, yea, his car has been lowered with the huge torsion bars, stiffer coils, bigger front sway bar, etc., and he is planning on stuffing a 24v under the hood.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
redrill the back to ford/toyoda/nission like I did then the rims are less then the tires. and you can get them any where,
I just got a set of spar 16inch for $60 each at the local tire store

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/178972-235-40-17-17x8-et-35-wheels-milano.html

for $100 you can get 8, 9, 10 wide like the 9x17 I have with 245/35ZR17
17" Saleen SC Style Mustang Wheels at LRS - Free Shipping!

The rear is so easy. but the front is a bit harder as the alfa disk will not work if redrilled. I think a mazda FD disk is the fix for that but have not had the time to get a set to see if they will work.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Sounds to me like this is a track car. Stock wheels for the Milano Platinum are the "wineglass style" 15"x6" (not 7"). They look nice when clean but with all that offset, and the type of alloy (mag?) they bend pretty easy. On thge good side, they are pretty light.

You can drill and do all that stuff, but essentially, there isn't much out there in 5x98. No shortage in 5x100 though.

In terms of traction, that's going to come from the tire choice. Wider doesn't always translate to more grip. Keep in mind that bigger patch distributes the weight more. So depending on the compound and track conditions, you might actually lose grip.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
In terms of traction, that's going to come from the tire choice.
+1

I've always run 205's or 215's on the Milanos and over the years, have figured out the best balanced approach so the car has a mild oversteer tendency but is overall neutral. Tire choice is key.

However, if he's looking for that staggered look, slyalfa's approach is a good one. The Veedub boyz are all about stagger, so go check out their 5x100 Classifieds at VWVortex.com - 5x100 Classifieds

Preferably, you should just buy new wheels because used ones tend to be pre-bent and you'll spend a lot of money just trying to straighten them.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
100% agree on tire type.

my wides are old hard rubber I do my day to day driving on and even with cheapest tires I could get the new tires in a 215 on a 15x7 on the rear out griped the wide guys.
the good new is it is so cheap to try different sizes after I redrilled.
now the grippy stuff I have in the pic posted would be a different story. but I don't drive on that day to day as they would be gone so fast.

but I also have the new 15 set out farther so they line up the same as the wides to the fender. and that seems to help with the grip. and it also does not look funny when I switch them on.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Stock wheels are 15x6. You can fit 15x7 wheels with 205/50's with no problems. A 16x7 Team Dynamics with a 205/40 would probably fit as well.

The Milano is slightly nose heavy (52/48?), so I think I'd keep all four wheels the same size.

I have plenty of 15x7 wheels with 205/50's mounted up if you'd like to swing by and try them on for size.

bs

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wheels Wheels Wheels....

We have been using for years a 15x7 et38 for Milanos & GTV-6's. Run a 205/50-15 and you'll have no rubbing issues, no matter how low you dare run your car.

Additionally, you can run a 225/50-15, or a 225/45-15 with a little fender roll. I run both of these sizes on my racecar, with the above sized wheel with no issues.

I have seen the below sizes fitted to Milanos with no issues. Quick reference to Tirerack's website provides the following diameters:

205/50-15 = 23.1"
205/45-16 = 23.3"
205/50-16 = 24.1"
205/45-17 = 24.3"

First size is the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, all remaining sizes Continental ExtremeContact DW.

I will be fitting the Continental in the 205/50-16 size to a set of Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 16x7 et38 here shortly on a new Milano I just picked up, and will post pics to follow.

Yes, I know we don't get all the wheels the BMW and AUDI cars get, but TeamDynamics offers a couple of choices, as well as Centerline Alfa, and Serpent Autosport.

Give Joe a call at Group 2, he's got wheels in stock from TeamDynamics for Alfa Romeos.

Pics to follow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have in front 7x15 ET25 (6 kg) with tire 205/50R15 and rear : 7.5x15 ET25 (6.5 kg) with 225/45R15 on my Alfa 75 turbo Evoluzione.
Tire is Toyo R888.
It's very good!
Wow 6/6.5kg? that's light! What make wheel?

My 17" BBS replicas weighed in at 10kg (7.5J) and 10.5kg (8.5J)

I have not got them on the car yet, but I am hoping to run 205/40/17 front and 225/45/17 rear.

Regards,
InstiTS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow 6/6.5kg? that's light! What make wheel?

My 17" BBS replicas weighed in at 10kg (7.5J) and 10.5kg (8.5J)

I have not got them on the car yet, but I am hoping to run 205/40/17 front and 225/45/17 rear.

Regards,
InstiTS
Hello, the wheels are "Mad'In" (made in France).
They are custom-made 5x98 and ET25. Excellent quality !

Mad'In : Mad'in jantes et freinage

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Wow BS, you are in Gilroy? We should put a get together...together. /jack

·
Registered
157 Posts
Show us your Cibies....

AuvergneAlfa! Let's see a pic of the front of your car with those Cibie lights on it!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Im thinking of selling 2 sets of 16 x7.5" wheels. Not 100% sure now, but if the price is right im selling.

Kosei K1
TSW Evo

Just fyi in case anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
haha that car doesn't look anything like that anymore =(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.