Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I bought some nice new under the hood insulation from Afra, and also found a nice under the hood lamp for my 102 Spider which will be tip top after re-chroming and some paint. However, I am missing the two parts comprising part 102.07.56.196, called 'SUPPORT, Ultralite, bonnet air intake in two sections. Does any one have those parts as spares and could be persuaded to part with it?

From the parts book it is unclear how these parts and the lamp are attached under the hood. Does anyone have pictures of it? I assume it uses the threads through the bonnet of the chrome ornaments that align the air intakes on the outside. Is that correct? ...and that the lamp is fixed to the under the hood part(s) that I am missing? So where does the wiring of the lamp go? Is it just laying on top of the insulation or is it fixed somewhere (maybe in a tube?) and how and where doe the wire go from the bonnet to the fuse box? Is it hidden somehow, or just running free?

Then a last question, the padding is that simply held in place by the different supports and sides, or is it glued as well under the bonnet?

Thanks in advance for you help...and please send me a PM when you can spare the parts, or know where to buy them.

Gr. Pieter

PS the parts are in the upper left corner of the picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Greetings Pieter in Denmark,

The one 12 volt wire for the light (+) is sandwiched between the insulation and the hood or as you say it is 'laying on top' of the insulation (the hood provides the ground (-) by the mounting bolts or studs). I believe the wire is fixed only at the lamp on one end and at the lower left (from driving position) corner of the hood by a small loop screwed into the underside of the hood.
For the padding, the original type has very thick fiberglass type insulation that is not easy to work with. There is probably little structural integrity between the layers of fiberglass but your best bet is probably to remove the hood and place it up-side down on a well padded table or work bench (with the wire for the light in place). A spray adhesive like 3-M Headliner & Fabric would probably help hold the insulation against the hood. It is like contact cement where you coat say the top half of both pieces then carefully let them make contact as you keep them in perfect alignment. Then you would spray the lower half of each piece and adhere them.
Amazon.com: 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive - 18.1 oz.: Automotive

The support cross bar, light, hood 'spear' washers and hood snorkel pieces help hold the insulation in place. Also contact cement 'brushed on' around the inside lip of the hood frame and outside edge of the insulation will help hold it in place.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts but I suspect you could find them on eBay by contacting anyone selling Two-Liter parts from a parts car.

59 underhood insulation light.jpg

59 underhood light.jpg
Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark,

This is exactly what I needed! Actually the last picture in your second response was what inspired me to upgrade the looks on the inside of my motor bay! ....found the picture in another thread about under the hood lining. What a fantastic looking car you have! The lining I bought from Afra looks exactly like yours (and the way you describe it).

Franco Veloce offered to make an exact copy of the parts at a very reasonable price. Cannot wait to get the goodies installed under the hood, once they arrive.

Gr., Pieter

PS The weather in Denmark seems to have the same difficulties getting started as my Alfa.... ;-D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Underhood stuff

There is no mention in this conversation of the different hood configurations: the narrow-spaced scoops and the wider-spaced so called Euro hood scoops. They take different interior air ducts, and there are no central spear screws to help hold the matting in place on the Euro. My '61 has a little copper grounding strap to the hood.
Is there another source of acceptable insulation besides AFRA, this side of the pond? I know there are many useable materials, but what is reasonably close to the original? That old fiberglas stuff always sagged.

Barry

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
My '61 has a little copper grounding strap to the hood.
Is there another source of acceptable insulation besides AFRA, this side of the pond? I know there are many useable materials, but what is reasonably close to the original? That old fiberglas stuff always sagged. Barry
Hi Barry,
Would you post a photo of your grounding strap and do you know if it is original? Do you have a light under the hood? I never thought about the under hood insulation supports on an Euro car. The old fiberglass insulation seemed to be about 2 or 3" thick, like something you would use to insulate a water heater; perhaps you could get by with less fiberglass. Some folks have used 'ironing board covering' material. It has a totally different texture, shark skin like but should resist some heat. Honestly, I'd get the original material while AFRA still has it.
Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
All of the 10204 cars I've had used a black, fiberglass insulation under the hood. The AFRA appears silver, which might be correct for the 106. I used the diamond-patterned ironing board material. Looks OK, although I may re-do it to clean up some installation issues. I wouldn't mind using something original if it was black, but I see no merit in changing from what I have to the sliver stuff from AFRA.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The original under hood insulation was almost certainly the silver material shown above. Not black and no diamond pattern ironing board covering.

If you do use the original fiberglass material with the silver layer of 'plastic type' material, it is important to seal up any holes that go through the hood (bonnet) if you ever intend to wash the car with water or drive it in the rain. Otherwise water may seep through those holes and collect in the fiberglass insulation material weighting it down or worse causing the hood to rust on the inside from the trapped water.

Mark

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, speaking from someone with a very original car (Don...per your post on Oil filters, my 102 has all of its original components, so now Jay can say 4 spiders he's seen), my under hood insulation is fiberglass under with a thin, almost light grey (or perhaps at one point was silver...) plastic covering. Maybe its different color than N/A delivered cars as mine was originally delivered to France, via Renault. Also under hood is painted with a similar black coating as the trunk (that undercoating thick textured stuff), including the support strip that goes from side to side. Man, this engine compartment is one dark place....

On mine, the wire for the light runs forward, outside of the insulation, towards the front of the hood, where there is a tab that it runs thru and then goes under the insulation and re-emerges at the back of the hood, drivers side almost in the corner, with a male contact that connects to the engine bay when the hood is attached (it is not on the car now - getting ready to install the rebuilt motor in the next few weeks).

My insulation has never been removed and is too delicate for me to pull off at this juncture. I'll try to post a picture. i hear its complicated......

edit/add per Don's comments below: My car is a 1960 so that may be the difference. The liner I have is stiffer then the black stuff under the dash, so perhaps after becoming a sponge, the black stuff sagged too easy? And the grey does show the various residue's ....

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
I think I recall hood insulation color being debated before. It may be that different years had different colors. My 3 10204's were all 59's and all had black. I bought my first Roadster in 71 when it was only 12 years old, and totally original - including Gulf Coast rust. The hood insulation was the same stuff mounted under the dash.

One of the possibly intentional benefits of black hood lining is its ability to hide the oil and belt residue slinging around in there. ��

·
Premium Member
171 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,416 Posts
I'd say it's a toss-up between silvery and black hood liners: I don't think there was any rhyme or reason to which one was used other than what was available and cheap. The liners on 106 Spiders in '62 were silvery, but black on the 2600 SZ in '65.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Is there another source of acceptable insulation besides AFRA, this side of the pond?
Barry
Alfa Romeo 2600 Spider Hood Insulation Mat New | eBay

I just noticed Mr.Fiat** has the original type of silver under-hood insulation on eBay right now. I've never seen a Two-Liter with 'black insulation' under-hood but I suppose it is possible some came that way. Mine has the black insulation on the firewall of the car (in the occupant compartment).

**Note: before buying anything from Mr Fiat, I would suggest that you write or call David and ask him specific questions: What are the dimensions of this part? Are you sure that it fits XXXX model and make? I'd just about guarantee that the under-hood bumpers he has listed for 2000/2600 are way too small; I have a full set in the garage already, you only have about 10 or 14 days to return anything that does not fit. I should have returned the hood bumpers and the Duetto gas tank (no filler neck)!
Mark

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just got hood insulation from Mr.Fiat for my 2600. It is better than the original, having silver outer layer on both sides. Also agree with comment about checking with them. Ordered a rubber battery bottom at the same time, but it does not fit my series 2 car. It's too short.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mark,

The tall rear underhood bumpers are identical to some used on aluminum sliding doors. I noticed this at a friend's house and took my one existing bumper to a door/window supply, and the salesman just gave me an exact duplicate. How's that for luck?

B

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Mark,

The tall rear underhood bumpers are identical to some used on aluminum sliding doors.
I remember seeing a post about using sliding glass door bumpers for the tall rear rubber bumpers. I guess I am still using the original ones; they are not too bad. I got new front bumpers from a guy that sells Maserati parts on eBay. I was able to re-sell the small bumpers on eBay for half of what I paid for them:).

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts