Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a 1600cc Giulietta engine and need to pull it from the engine bay. In order to get it out, its necessary to remove the exhaust manifold. The top part is easily removed, but disconnecting the lower manifold from a pair of exhaust pipes has proven much more troublesome. These connections consist of two sets of three bolts arrayed in a triangular pattern (a front and rear set), which are angled (precluding the use of a long socket extension). With much effort, I've managed to remove 5 of the 6, but the rear bolt in the lower set has so far defeated my attempts to access and remove it. The problem isn't that its frozen but there simply isn't sufficient room to wield a standard wrench between the engine block and exhaust pipes.

I've tried using half moon and crow's feet, but the bolt head is placed so close to the exhaust pipe that it seems to preclude using anything other than an open end wrench. Is there some obvious tool or technique that I'm overlooking.

Thanks, Norman

·
Super Moderator
3,488 Posts
Wedge a flat tip screwdriver in between the nut and the manifold underneath & try loosening the bolt from the top ??

I've ground down sockets before, fitted multiple extensions and swivels as well as heated and bent spanners to do this job - I feel your pain

Persevere, you will get there & when you re-fit, use an 8mm threaded rod connector - basically a long nut, machine the flats down to round off most of it and voila the spanner part is suddenly far away from the manifold. Makes refitting & any subsequent removal very easy

Ciao
Greig

·
9,922 Posts
Those six bolts & nuts are tough to access. I've never found an easy way to remove/replace them.

divotandtralee said:
Exhaust shops would cut the bolt off with a torch in about 30 seconds.. No torch? Die grinder it off. Bolts are easy to replace
Well, maybe. But if you can't get a wrench in there, it may be even harder to get a die grinder in there.

Alternative "B" might be to remove the rear exhaust pipes & mufflers, remove the transmission-to-front exhaust pipe mount, tie the remaining exhaust manifold against the L fenderwell with rope or wire and pull the engine. Once the engine is out, accessing that remaining hardware will be easy. Heck, once the engine is out, you can remove the header-downpipe as a unit and attack it on the bench.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bullwrinkle

Hurrah!! Finally got that last bolt on the exhaust manifold removed and can now easily remove the tailpipe.

Lessons learned:

1. This is a two person job (unless you're a lot more clever than me) as someone needs to hold the top wrench in place, while you crawl under the car.

2. I found the best solution was using a 1/4" racket with a deep 13mm socket to remove the nut. Yes, its a bit light but its the only thing that will fit in that tight space.

3. Replace all the bolts with 11mm or 12mm heads so you'll have room to put a socket on them and won't run up against the exhaust manifold. Also use shorter bolts, Alfa uses these ridiculously long bolts. Probably save close to 10 grams across all six bolts.

Thanks everyone for their assistance,

Norman

·
Registered
902 Posts
Exhaust nuts

Late to this discussion, but ………. buy "wabble" extensions …… they work great for getting at manifold nuts.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts