Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here looking to buy a 69 GTV1750.
Just some questions i have about the car i am looking at. Actually i have not been to see it yet. hope to do that in the next two days. but hoped to clear up some questions before i go.

first i live in the US, eastern mid-atlantic states.

Questions:
1) is there a better forum for me to be on based on my location? best places to price parts based on my location?

on the car itself. this is listed as a 69 GTV1750 US version.

i have noticed different front turn signal lights on different 1750's. this car has them above the bumper. Some i have seen have them below the bumper. signal a certain series/year? where it was shipped? or just Alfa was not real consistent during that time.

on this car there is the script "ALFA ROMEO" on the trunk lid. I have seen that but on most other cars i have seen the round Alfa badge above it. Some not and not this one. Again is it a year things? series?

on some cars i have seen two brake boosters. this car has just one. the VIN number is like 1530246 if that makes a difference.

on the dash to the left of the steering wheel there is a rubber grommet filling a hole. i believe there is a light that might go in that hole. maybe a 4 way flasher? or some sort of brake light? E-brake?

this car has the SPICA fuel injection. i have read if set up properly they work quite well. what maintenance is there to them? is there something to keep an eye on and is there any help out there on adjusting or fixing? you tube?

Should this car have 14" wheels? i think that is correct but checking. and what size tire can i put in to fit if they need to be changed?

i am not really worried about being a purist as such. i am just looking for a driver i can use. the reason for the questions is i think it should influence the pricing. i tend to pay too much for cars...

i know to check for rust and plan to get a good look at this car all over... and under.

Thanks for any help or suggestions

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
1) is there a better forum for me to be on based on my location? best places to price parts based on my location?
The classic Alfa community just isn't that big, so no, there aren't northeast, southwest, etc. Alfa forums. This one is world-wide, but really, the same small group of people contribute to most of the conversations. Similarly with parts suppliers; there are only a handful left in the US, let alone in your region. Many of us in the US get our parts from European suppliers. There is a list of Alfa parts suppliers somewhere here on the BB.

The closest thing to a regional forum would be your local chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club. Go to aroc-usa.org to locate the chapter nearest to you. There may be someone in your hometown who can answer all of your detailed questions.

A good resource for you would be the book "Illustrated Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide" written by Joe Benson.

Reactions: alfabeach

·
Registered
154 Posts
There are a number of details on this car that are not "correct". But, as you know, the most important consideration is the condition of the uni-body - rust, filler, accident repair. Then, after that, if it's well sorted and drives well, etc. If these things check out well, then you can worry about negotiating the price based on having these incorrect compliments - some of which are as follows:
Non original color/interior - was originally AR109 Giallo Ochra w/black interior. Maybe you can find who restored it and changed the color to learn more about the history. Hopefully someone will recognize the car and be able to help. The chassis number is an S1 1750 USA "1969" version. The front bumper and signal lights are not the correct ones for this car. They are from a Euro spec GTV - I believe S2 1750. The correct front bumper is not available as a replacement. So, this may be why it was changed. Originally, there would have been two brake servos and a dual circuit brake system. One servo was removed - maybe also changed to a single circuit brake system. You can check if it has a dual or single circuit master cylinder and/or the dual circuit manifold on the firewall. The fuel injection - or at least the manifold, air box and idle circuit - was also changed to an S2 type (and painted red!). The hole plug in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel would have been for a brake safety warning light for indicating brake circuit pressure differential. The Alfa Romeo script on the trunk lid is correct for this car. But, there should also be a round Alfa Romeo Milano emblem - which was presumably removed during prior paint and restoration / color change.
I would ask here on the ABB if someone can point you to a good alfa shop in the area to have it inspected by an experienced alfa mechanic. Someone should be able to help, and it would be money well spent to have it thoroughly checked out by someone in the alfa circle.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I find the commentary on Bring a Trailer can be useful after filtering out the peanut gallery noise. Here are a couple of good reference cars for a S1 1750 GTV.

As far as your other questions, use the Search function. There’s plenty of good info on the BB site. GLWTP

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is always a punt when you buy anything at auction, typically there is not the opportunity to inspect things thoroughly in my experience, often there is a good reason it is in an auction, that is too offload the car. At auction there are no comeback unless it was not described correctly in the catalogue and even then it is hard to comeback. The auction house terms and conditions are all most bullet proof generally it is: If you register and bid it means you have accepted the item with all its faults. Having said this you can be lucky if you understand what it is you are buying. I second the idea of getting a pre-purchase inspection there are many pigs with lipstick on out there and if your thinking of getting a decent car it will be money well spent. When I bought my first Alfa I paid twice its real value because I was not patient in looking for a good car.
Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. will do some more reading and checking. i am in no hurry... but like most i tend to get excited and spend more than i should!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
I'm not sure if the new and improved version of the forum has a better search than before but I've found a google search yields much better results. the search would look something like this brake pad alfabb. just put alfabb at the end of what you are searching for. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip on the search. Don't think it is just this site. i have never had luck on searches for any of the car forums i have been on. i just thought it was my old age... but will try this.

i have redone 5 or so British cars over the years. the one thing all 60's cars have in common is they rust. So i know to look for that. And been watching you tube for areas to really look for.

The one thing about the British side is there are a lot of cars out there and thus a lot of parts. there is hardly anything you can't find and the ordinary stuff is readily available from a few suppliers. Prices aren't totally crazy either.

But i have no background or frame of reference for Alpha's. Love the car and would love to have one. But a little more nervous about this than usual. Are there some big suppliers in the US that i should be checking on? Again trying searches but not sure i have found them all... or the best ones?

The other thing is these cars are not cheap. Heck if it was a Bug Eye, you have nothing invested to begin with.

i like to turn a wrench. Have a nice shop and in the winter... i can be out there for hours on end. got all the set up to play as much as i like. (although i am not a body/paint man for sure)

As i said earlier, i am not worrying about being purist here. Don't care if it has the wrong bumper or even the wrong SPICA system (if it works well or better than a series 1 would). i just don't want to jump in and spend too much on the car to start with. i have history there. Maybe my age now will help me out. ... ha.

Thanks for all the ideas. having been on many forums and i know new owners can be a pain with their lack of knowledge. MY turn? i have the book coming tomorrow and will do some reading. Not sure it will be a source for all the questions i might have. But i will start there.

and also try to keep from buying the first thing that catches my eye. did i mention i have history?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
For parts Centerline, Classic Alfa, Alfaholics, ok parts, My Alfa, and others.

Yes these cars are expensive and always were way more expensive than a sprite. In the day in some markets almost as expensive as an E Type new.

Every part you need will be found in repro, NOS or used.

Some of these cars look and run great but are complete rust buckets underneath so be careful. A rust free or proper resto is often worth the extra money.

Good luck

Ken

Reactions: alfabeach

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the search. Don't think it is just this site. i have never had luck on searches for any of the car forums i have been on. i just thought it was my old age... but will try this.

i have redone 5 or so British cars over the years. the one thing all 60's cars have in common is they rust. So i know to look for that. And been watching you tube for areas to really look for.

The one thing about the British side is there are a lot of cars out there and thus a lot of parts. there is hardly anything you can't find and the ordinary stuff is readily available from a few suppliers. Prices aren't totally crazy either.

But i have no background or frame of reference for Alpha's. Love the car and would love to have one. But a little more nervous about this than usual. Are there some big suppliers in the US that i should be checking on? Again trying searches but not sure i have found them all... or the best ones?

The other thing is these cars are not cheap. Heck if it was a Bug Eye, you have nothing invested to begin with.

i like to turn a wrench. Have a nice shop and in the winter... i can be out there for hours on end. got all the set up to play as much as i like. (although i am not a body/paint man for sure)

As i said earlier, i am not worrying about being purist here. Don't care if it has the wrong bumper or even the wrong SPICA system (if it works well or better than a series 1 would). i just don't want to jump in and spend too much on the car to start with. i have history there. Maybe my age now will help me out. ... ha.

Thanks for all the ideas. having been on many forums and i know new owners can be a pain with their lack of knowledge. MY turn? i have the book coming tomorrow and will do some reading. Not sure it will be a source for all the questions i might have. But i will start there.

and also try to keep from buying the first thing that catches my eye. did i mention i have history?
The search function on this sight works well especially if you take the time to fill in a couple of the search terms but Google also works but not always.
Also look below the end of a thread at the Recommended reading list
K

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
@tricarb Your posts say a lot about being pulled in different directions. First is a desire for a '69 1750 GTV, which is one of the more desirable models with its flying buttress seats, 1750 engine, and simpler grill/dash compared to, say a later 2000 GTV. Yet, you're not a purist and you're concerned about price.

Many parts are interchangeable between models and as originality morphs into customization, valuation may drop. How do you feel about a 2000 GTV with a 1750 grill? Or a 1750/2000 GTV with Webers? What about a color change or a less popular color such as Cava or Piper?

As with any classic car, buy the best quality car your budget can afford. These cars are never rust free, but you're more likely to find a better example from the west coast than anywhere else in the US IMO. And if you're not a purist, I would consider one that a PO may have taken liberties with part swapping. Also, drive it before buying if at all possible. A fully restored GTV with new interior and shiny paint may drive horribly if not properly sorted out, while an unrestored, well used and maintained GTV with patina may drive fantastically.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
@tricarb It looks like AR1530246 has some rocker issues and damage to the lower front clip. The original color appears to have been Giallo Ocra, not it’s current white... it has a dash cap... the top bumper mounted front turn signals are poorly executed... comparatively speaking, the Cava Beige GTV that recently sold on BaT that I posted earlier is way better than the car you’re considering. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update and a question:
i went to look at the car today. As Ken eluded to above, the car is over-valued. from the other cars i have seen sold lately, i kind of think it is about 15k over-valued. At least to me. Too much i would have to have done to suit me.

my question:
is on the seating position. first time i have ever sat in one of these. but my knees felt like they were up to the ceiling and i was sitting on the floor. it really is just my right leg. the gas pedal is so close. has there been any changes people have made for this? now this is a series 1 car with the pedal box on the floor. are the later models, where the pedals hung, a bit better for longer legged people?

after i got out and talked some more to the guy, i could not help wanting to sit in it again. this time it did not feel near as awkward. but still i am not sure it is a car i could drive for any distance. i am about 6-2.

Thanks again

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm 6'3" and I really prefer the S1 1750 over the S2 or 2000, because I can get the seat further back allowing more leg room. The S2 and 2000 have a different seat/mechanism, which allows the seat to come forward to allow passengers in the back... supposedly hahha like a 2 year old or something. Anyway, it's easy to make a simple mod on the S1 seats to allow them to move all the way back to rest essentially against the rear seat - if you want to go that far. Then, the limiting factor becomes reaching forward to locate 5th gear - but this is only a problem with fixed 5 point harness in a track car and the like. With inertia reel shoulder belts, you can move the seat back until your legs are pretty much straight. For me at least, it's great. Very comfortable this way

·
Administrator
14,460 Posts
This is how these cars are. You need to spread your legs, instead of straight legs. Spreading your legs also makes heal and toeing easier. All Alfas you need to spread your legs. If you need to have straight legs, then you need to look at old English crap, er, cars

I've never had an issue with spreading my legs around the steering wheel ... I guess we are all different :)
Pete

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
6-3. Thanks for the info. It was just awkward feeling. Maybe need to try it a few times to get a feel for it. The cars certainly look worth it. Had this car appealed more I probably would have spent more time in it.

Pete... you are an administrator here? Great reply then...I guess.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
There are a few things you can do to the seating and peddle position besides the normal seat fore/aft and seat back recline adjustments. These include:
  • Modify the seat rails to allow the seat to slide all the back until it hits the rear seat
  • Add spacers under the seat mounts (front and/or rear) to adjust the seat bottom rake and attempt to get more angle to bend your legs
  • Modify the shifter if it interferes with your knee when in second gear (the PO of my car actually had the shifter bent to the right a few degrees)
  • Adjust the throttle pedal stop to lower the closed throttle pedal position. This needs to be adjusted in conjunction with the throttle cable and throttle plate adjustments as you dont want to limit the pedal throw too much and prevent wide or near WOT. If the pedal is too high, it’s possible there’s some room to lower it. There was an after market kit (no longer available by Shankle) that lowered the throttle pedal by extending the throttle lever arm that is mounted on the firewall. Having such a kit or modifying your throttle in such a way can lower the throttle pedal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ken
Thanks. i did not feel as if i needed to move the seat back more. my arms were pretty straight. in fact it felt better being just ahead of all the way back. but either i needed to sit higher or move the gas pedal back. And it was only on the gas pedal side. i had read about the seating position before which was one reason i wanted to see this car.
i will have to see how another car feels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts