Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a '79 Alfa Romeo that I need to have looked at.

i know there's a guy out in Spicewood, but was wondering if anyone knew a good Alfa mechanic in the Austin city limits.

problem: fuel pressure light comes on after engine gets hot and car eventually stalls out.

i've troubleshot and troubleshot and can't resolve the issue. need help from a pro.

thanks in advance,

austinringding

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'll leave it to others to recommend a shop, but have you changed your fuel filter(s)? Experience has taught me that dirty filters will cause low fuel pressure and running problems. I would do that first, and then turn to a pro if the problem persists.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yeah, i've replaced both filters, both pumps, blew out lines, etc. there is a gremlin living in the fuel system, and I need a pro to flush him out. no pun intended ;)

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've reviewed this & previous posts;I'm certain that I can help. I have owned & repaired spica injected alfa's since 1978. call me @ Elite Import Auto 873-8680 or 517-9062 (cell). Joe

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,036 Posts
Welcome to the board Joe!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've reviewed this & previous posts;I'm certain that I can help. I have owned & repaired spica injected alfa's since 1978. call me @ Elite Import Auto 873-8680 or 517-9062 (cell). Joe
Been on the board for one post and you already have another customer! About time!

·
Registered
259 Posts
September coffee & cars

Look forward to seeing everyone Saturday. School & football are back, but so are manageable temperatures. Should be a nice drive with the top down for the first time in a few months.

·
Registered
107 Posts
italian motor services on lake austin is amazing alfa shop he only works on alfas.. His name is BJ great guy

his phone number 512-447-7001

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bump: Just moved to Austin with my babies (wife, kids, and 90 Spyder) and am looking for a mechanic myself. Noticed that the thread is a little old so I thought I'd see if there is any new info. I'd prefer someone in Austin proper if possible. Thanks for any and all input!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Almost all the Austin Alfa mechanics got their start, worked for, were associated with Bob Fernald who started with the famous 'ZAP' motors, a countercultural Alfa shop back in the day. This was a good thing because there's a higher level of Alfa fixing competence in Austin than in a lot of much larger cities.

Bob is sort of retired now (which means he doesn't like to get underneath cars anymore) but will sometimes undertake smaller jobs like cylinder heads and Weber rebuilds.

I can recommend Joe Foster, an early ZAP graduate who's been fixing Alfas for more than 30 years. Joe is a successful vintage racer and is factory trained. He's an old friend and a good guy.

Services, BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA), Jaguar Club of Austin, Elite Import Auto Service, Austin, TX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the info 180out! Much appreciated. Y'all wouldn't happen have a referral for someone reliable and affordable to replace a convertible window. The one in mine split when I put it up in a cold snap.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Bob Fernald is also a great mechanic, but I think he does not take on any new work anymore....unless someone corrects me
[/QUOTE]

Bob will do some small jobs that he likes to do and on cars that he likes, but at age 78 he isn't much interested in getting under cars anymore. He says there's a reason he didn't put a lift in his little shop behind his house . . . :001_smile:

·
Registered
3,922 Posts

Bob will do some small jobs that he likes to do and on cars that he likes, but at age 78 he isn't much interested in getting under cars anymore. He says there's a reason he didn't put a lift in his little shop behind his house . . . :001_smile:[/QUOTE]

I got lucky :)

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Bob and Charlie dropped by the house a while back to pick up a spare transaxle I was selling, and gave the car a pretty thorough going-over. They gave me enough ideas that I was able to pinpoint the problem (worn out AAV) and have had trouble free running ever since!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts