Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone suggest the kind of springs I could use on my 74 GTV.
And also where i can purchase them , who manufactures them and how much would it drop my car.

Thanks
Adrian

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
There are many springs out for a GTV, just depends what kind you want. Race or Street?

There are a few guys that make well designed race springs for GTV's, if you'd like that info I can give you some numbers. The price in race springs range from 400 +/-.

Many companies out that provide street springs. It all just come's down to what you want. Very Low and stiff, all performace. Or a nice ride height which is a smooth. Your going to get a lot of different opinions on springs, and you'll be buggin out, because you won't know if A spring is better then B spring because 25 people said they like B spring better then A, but a mechanic/race car driver will say A spring is better then B. So take your time find out plenty of info, then purchase.

Street spring run at about 225 dollars.

So what are you looking for exactly? If you're getting sport springs, I'd recommend looking into some aftermarket shocks, such as, Koni's, Bilsteins etc.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is my problem ,I cannot decide on which manufacturer to purchase the springs from.I want a street spring that can be used for autocrossing at club events every so often.I notice International Auto Sports ,Centerline and Alfa Ricambi sell them but which company has the better spring.Can anyone shed some light.

Thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are they the supersport springs , sport springs or race springs. I was leaning towards buying the supersport.How much do they lower the car.

Thanks
Adrian

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
The most important thing to figure out is not just the springs - but the rest of the package. The best performance springs are set-up to use a particular shock. Some are designed to use stock sway bars, while others are to be used a part of a system with stiffer bars.

I would drive a few GTVs with modified suspensions until you get that Goldilocks "just right" feeling. It's different for everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Now their super sport's. I had to get a coil cut off, because AR Ricambi sent me the sport spring. But cutting them is not bad (i think), the only difference between the sport and super sport spring is the length, not material. But no worries, I heard they stopped making the sport spring, and only make the super sport.

p.s. a picture of my car, but I had the coils cut, I assume this is how the super sport would look, maybe lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi,
I've had Ricambi springs on my Milano. The supersport are way too stiff for the street. Many people don't like their "balance" either. I don't know much about IAP springs, but they are designed to work with their larger rear sway bar. Nowadays most people use a stock rear bar or none at all. I have Centerline springs on my Duetto and they are low and stiff. The handling is very neutral ( Koni red shocks, rear sway bar from late model Spider, Falksn Azenis sport 196/60-14 on 14 x 6 BWA's ). They are on the stiff side and are best for smooth roads - the car tends to bounce on the bumps ). I am almost done with the suspension on my GTV and I'm using springs from Dave Rugh engineering of Oregon. The northwest Alfa guys swear by them, as well as many "gurus" in the Alfa world. Although I haven't driven the car with them yet, from an observation standpoint they appear softer than the Centerline springs. They are said to really let the suspension "work". I'm also using Bilstein shocks on this car because Rugh designed the springs with those shocks in mind, although many people run Koni or Sachs sporting gas.

As soon as I get this car down off the jackstands and over to the alignment shop I'll give a report. BTW, I'll be running Kumho Extsa 712's 195/55-15 on 15 x 6 Panasports.

Later,

Dan

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
who supplies the Dave Rugh springs,and how much do they cost.I have heard lots of good things about them but was unable to find any thing on the web on them.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Few Numbers

Alan Ward - Springs & Sway Bar $ 420 - shipped
(702)898-1270

Dave Rugh - Springs $ 289
(503)621-3799

Italcarguy is putting super sport springs on that Jr. from ricambi.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Eibach Pro-kit

How about Eibach Pro-kit springs?

I've seen some GTVs with them on it. But never able to find any information. Cannot find them on both US and Germany Eibach site. :confused:

If I cannot find Eibach, I think I will go for AR Ricambi supersport too.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
Alfa-Chan,

The owner from OMEGA MOTORSPORTS has Eibach springs on their GTV track car and said he is really happy with them when we spoke to him at the track. I dont have any of their info but perhaps someone else will chime in and give it to you. He might be able to sell you some or refer you to the right part # at the least.

Here is a picture of his car that is running Eibach's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Thx Simon

That is the "stance" I have in mind. That DTM style exhaust looks cool too.

I've one of those DTM exhaust laying around in the warehouse, maybe I should try to put it on and see how it sounds and looks. :D

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
This is an old thread, but I searched Eibach and it came up. Basically, there is no "kit" for Alfas. You have to order in length, diameter, and rate. The part numbers will go something like this: 1200.550.850 which would be a 12" free length, a 5.5" diameter, and an 850 lbs spring rate. So you can't get the stance of the Omega car above without asking the owner what he ordered. Or you can do trial and error.

Someone on this BB had ordered some that were (I think) 9.5" long and 1100 lbs. I was looking for that thread to see what the diameter was, and to review a bit about the rates. It's been a while since I read it and needed some review.

I have a set of IAP front springs that I haven't put on the car, and I've heard they are the stiffest of the street springs. I don't know if I really want to put them on. I've heard they are about 1200 lbs. Maybe something a little less, like 1000 or 900.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Well, one advantage to Eibach is you order exactly what you want, if you know what you want. The price is generally about $50 per spring, +/- about $5 depending on where you buy. If you knew that the Alfaholics spring was say, 1100lbs rate, you could just order Eibachs 1100lbs rate spring in the right diameter and length and you have the same spring, probably at a lower cost.

In addition, if you want to try something slightly different, you can give it a try.

Sure, many people say just do what the experts have found. This is good advice, but some like to tweak things slightly without going way off. If IAP is 1200 lbs and Alfaholics is 1100 lbs and this is still a little too stiff, one can try a 950 or 800 lbs spring for not too much. (those are hypothetical values by the way)

And yes, if it turns out not to behave well, you have spent the money and some will say, "We told you so". I would always keep this in mind. That doesn't mean you can't try another value and sell the spring that didn't work. If you need to pay someone to install them sure, you may not want to go this route. It could get expensive.

·
Registered
936 Posts
you could just order Eibachs xxxx rate spring in the right diameter and length and you have the same spring, probably at a lower cost.
and therein lies the trick. sure, you could pick out someone else's spring rate setup, but how would you know the correct length ? you would also be "taking away" money from a valued Alfa community retailer who spent the time and effort to come up with that setup. :(

In addition, if you want to try something slightly different, you can give it a try.
of course, you would really need to try the original established setup first, to know what you want to change . . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts