Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for the "perfect" Spider a while (perfect=good condition, nearby, inexpensive). Keep in mind, this would be my first Alfa. I'm watching one that seems to fit the bill on ebay. It looks like a nice car. I haven't seen it in person. I've never bought a car off ebay. I asked the seller about doing a deal outside of ebay, but they refused. The "on occasion hard to start" line is a bit concerning. With my research (mostly on the board) I've never heard that one as a common problem. There's no mention of the transmission (which I will ask about), but is there anything else that jumps out at you? Anything I should ask about, or something that screams, "Just turn around and walk away!"

Also, as I write this, the bid is at $2800. For other similar Spiders, it seems like the asking price is in the 5's or more. I'm not going to get into a bidding war and spend more that I want, but what would you think would be good target?

I'll appreciate any input. You guys (and gals) are great, and I respect your opinions.

Thanks!!

P.S. If the link doesn't work, the item number is 220124550017.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
With original paint, good body, good interior and nice soft top, that Spider looks like it has been cared for. Nonetheless, you should have the car inspected in person. I would recommend that you offer to pay someone who knows Spiders for an hour of their time to go with you and inspect the car. Check the undercarriage and the body for rust, and of course you need an assessment of the mechanical condition. Definitely check for how well does the engine pull, oil pressure, transmission, etc.

The bidding has now exceeded $3500, and if this is a decent car (as it appears to be), it should go for a lot more, even with the occasional no start issue. This time of year, decent series 3b Spider Veloces can easily top $6k, and at those prices they are bargain, in my opinion, simply because it is expensive to buy a cheap Spider and then have to re-do a top, interior and body.

One last note on the steering wheel. The small wheels (that's a Momo, 350 mm) need an extra spacer since they place the wheel right over the turn signal and light stalks, and your hand will hit these when you turn the wheel. If the spacer has not been fitted you should plan on doing so, unless you just want to get used to it like some of us. Also, as positioned, note that the wheel will probably not let you see the top cluster gauges (oil and voltage) when you are driving.

Best regards,

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see nothing in the ebay listing that would make me walk away from this car, although Enrique's advice to have it checked out in person is right on. If Indiana is anything like central Iowa it may be hard to find someone who knows these cars very well.

The desciption of the starting problem, "sometimes a delay from when the key is turned to when the starter motor is engaged" sounds a lot like a problem I had with my car. A new battery and cleaning up all the electrical connections and grounds in the charging/starting circuit fixed it. Could be more involved than that, I guess, but it doesn't sound like a deal breaker.

My car was also a California car originally that spent most of its life in Arizona.
Its been in Iowa for several years but always garaged, never driven in snow and rarely in the rain. It has NO rust, so its possible this spider is rust free as well, although that is something you will want to check carefullly.

Others here will have a much better idea that me, but I would say if it goes for $4-5k, it will be a reasonable deal. Good luck, Tom!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts