Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 15 years ago I secured a set of restored Borroni's for the day when I would restore my 101 Spider Veloce. It has been riding on a set of chromed Fergats for over 50 years. Work well and look great but obviously not correct if I wish to show the car. Well the restoration is nearly complete and I've come to find out one of the wheels has a center section that is warped. So I'm looking for a Borroni that is in restorable condition. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you put the wheel on a balancer and look at the inside of the rim while spinning at where the center section is attached tp the rim you will see a distortion. When I looked closer I could see where someone had taken a sledge hammer to try and beat the distortion out of the wheel. It's not a wheel I would trust on the road. It will make a nice buffer stand.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
I understand Borrani is making them again. They are sold in the USA via AEM Garage, see here (and in the UK here).

·
Super Moderator
11,244 Posts
The all steel (Not the bi-metal) were preferred for USA racing if required to use stock wheels in the early to mid 60's as they were physically lighter than the Fergat version. The Bi metal was lighter still, but EXPENSIVE by the standards of the day, and seldom seen on budget racers (my) cars. The Borrani's were of a softer steel alloy than the Fergat. The Fergat often developed cracks in the harder spider and around lug nut holes. The Borrani was softer here, and it was possible to collapse the cones around the lug studs by using an pneumatic socket.
Driving-racing, the Borrani front spider would bend if you put much side thrust too it. This could easily be felt in steering, and we would move that wheel and tire in back, fitting another Borrani in front. This was preferred to using Fergats which would crack and they fly off somewhere, abandoning the car altogether, ending your race and sometimes others. The "others" then became very unfriendly.
We tossed the bent Borrani's and bought more new and used. Probably why today, they are hard to find.
When you do find a bent one these days, the soft alloy is beneficial, as any good wheel shop can straighten them out, and even fix collapsed stud cones. STILL a better choice than a cracked Fergat for a restoration or driving.
My opinion only from my experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Alphil,

PM sent.

Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts