Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I obsessed over 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 for 16 years, until it fell victim to another driver running a stop sign, on June 1st, 2007 (the insurance company totalled the car).
I was able to purchase a 1994 164LS on ebay. I am now dealing with the A/C console issue, like a lot of you. My alfa machanic and I are talking a company in Boston, BBA-REMAN, who will repair the climate control unit: www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=563 .

I am a perfectionist when it comes to the car...so I would be very intrested to hear from anyone parting out 164LS's.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Beware

Having gone through the trouble, and doing this for 5 years now, before you send your unit to the Mass place, ask them exactly what they do with the unit. There really is only one way to fix this climate control correctly, that is to actually replace the mylar connector with a polyimide connector and use ACF film to bond to the glass and PCB. Many repair outlets do not understand the nuances involved in this repair. Ask Jason at Alfissimo as he and I tried to dechiper what another repair place was doing and, in the end, it was a band aid fix at best destined to fail again.

I am working on getting access once again to the lab to get the bonding done. I will know more for sure within a month. I encourage everyone that is pending a fix (and I have you all on my calendar for update in Sept) to wait until I can either get my acccess back or try to find an alternative, an alternative that does the job right.

I think Sam can vouch for my work as can many folks here. I have over 200 unit/years in the field and not one failure after the upgrade to polyimide.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
I obsessed over 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 for 16 years, until it fell victim to another driver running a stop sign, on June 1st, 2007 (the insurance company totalled the car).
I was able to purchase a 1994 164LS on ebay. I am now dealing with the A/C console issue, like a lot of you. My alfa machanic and I are talking a company in Boston, BBA-REMAN, who will repair the climate control unit: www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=563 .

I am a perfectionist when it comes to the car...so I would be very intrested to hear from anyone parting out 164LS's.
Do not send it to BBA, they ruin all they touch with these. I sent them 3 units(which had to be repaired again with new ribbon) which they repaired. 2 days later they both failed worse than before. The only reason they have the LCD unit repair is because I sent them the unit.
I pulled the unit apart and they burned the ribbon beyond repair. They do terrible work, very sloppy, broke some clips inside the unit as well.
All they do is rebond the old myler film and send it back charging you $125 or whatever it is.
They are worthless and don't waste your money with them!!! It WILL FAIL AGAIN 100% Guarantee!

Go With Goats or I can repair the unit for you with much better results and longevity than the BBA Reman!
I have many out there with no failures to date. Only about a 2 year runs so far though.

Ciao!
Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the alfa links. I bought the car thru a pvt sale from a seller in Buffalo NY. He was the 2nd owner. I lucked out, sort of, he posted the car as perfect, rust free. When my machanic put the car on the lift, there was so badly rusted area's. I told the sell about the rust and the expense to repair, with in 1 week I had check to pay for the repair in the mail.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will wait till you get set up, please put me on your list of people to call when you are ready.
I spoke to my machanic, Luciano of Auto Veloce Miami FL, he said he said that he has already spoke to you. So when you are ready we will be sending your 2 units for repair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great looking Car!!

I bought one just like it about 18 mths ago. Very low miles/kilometer, about 45,000/75,000. It looked great also, but the previous owner had a broken timing belt tensioner. I was aware of that before I bought it, I even knew the shop that repaired it. The only problem was when the top end went it spun a rod bearing. I had to rebuild the complete motor. I still love the car, and I have just about got all the rest of the bugs worked out. I have the same a/c consul problem to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts