Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I picked up a 164s engine and I'm just looking for some more info on this particular engine. The block number is what appears to be AR64301.60142

I'm converting the engine for use in a GTV6. Were all S engines the longer block? Just trying to make sure I source the correct parts.

Thanks all

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
Hey everyone, I picked up a 164s engine and I'm just looking for some more info on this particular engine. The block number is what appears to be AR64301.60142

I'm converting the engine for use in a GTV6. Were all S engines the longer block? Just trying to make sure I source the correct parts.

Thanks all
AR64301 is a 164S block but it is same size externally as AR06412 non-S block. They both are 3.0L engines and even same outside dimensions as 2.5L block, too. Even the 3.0L piston liners, rods, crankshafts and heads the same as 3.0L Milano Verde and 164B/L 06412 blocks.

The differences are only the internal parts such as higher lift intake lobes on cams and different duration/overlap, and higher compression pistons.

Are you sure the block serial number is 60142 seems awful high for AR64301 engine block.

If serial number is below 0005415 for AR64301 engine it will have a deep 8 qt oil pan and front cover bolt holes will match a GTV6 engine front cover and pan bolt pattern BUT if serial 005415 or higher the bolt pattern in front cover matches 7 qt shallower oil pan and will not match GTV6 pan bolt pattern or oil pan gasket.

The later S engine also has different aux shaft oil pump drive/driven gear set which would make GTV6 dizzy drive at different speed. Also later engines has fine threaded M12xa.25 flywheel bolts whereas early 164 engines and GTV6 engines has M12x1.50 coarse threaded flywheel bolts.

So tell us what is engine's real serial number.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Can you post a pic of the engine?
The 164 3L V6 12V engine numbers I'm familiar with are shorter, the numbers taller and stamped on a machined surface

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
That sure looks like to me somebody restamped your engine "164S" block with a very crude stamp set.

60142 transposed to 06412. looks like somebody added original 164B/L engine series 06412 as serial number 60142 for some reason. AR64301*00xxxx would be what original factory stamping would look like.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that interesting.... I'll have to check the cams for the appropriate cam stamps. Is there an easy way to identify hi comp pistons?

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Are you sure this engine isn't a 2.5L, or 3L from a GTV6 or Milano?, Maybe with S cams as some have installed?

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
Basically the 164 blocks and heads are the same. However most 164S engines and later 164L engines had an oil cooler pancake between black and oil filter and inside the block have oil squinter check valves to squirt oil to undersides off pistons for cooling.

Really no easy way to visually ID of 10:1 c/r of S or 9.50 c/r B/L pistons nor camshafts except for intake cam lobes. Exhaust lobe height same on all 164 cams but S intake lobes higher.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/832491-post26.html

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The head had a 164 style distributor, and the the engine had the transverse engine mounts. The oil pan did look like the picture you posted with the large hex drain plug on the side.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Here's a couple of shots of a 164S piston. It's out of an engine that blew up, so it's a bit beat up. Ignore the marks on the valve recess. They are not typical.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts
The engine does has the oil cooler, not sure about the squirters.
Later 164L engines got oil cooler pancake and oil squirters and faster gear ratio gears for oil pump drive.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
Well, if your pan looks like my pic, it must be a 164. I've never seen an engine number stamped like that.
Boy, your sure keeping me running back and forth to my shop getting these pic:)

·
Premium Member
26,908 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally made it up to where I am storing the engine and was able to snap a few more pictures (it's my buddy's shop and he's not very good at cleaning up so please ignore the beer bottles and cans lol). I just trying to confirm that this is a later 3.0. Here is the bottom of the oil pan. I believe it was also mentioned that the later engines have fine thread flywheel bolts. It sure looks like a later engine to me. Someone mentioned that GTV6 oil pans don't fit on the later engines. Is there a work around for this? Thanks again everyone.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts