Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Looking For Best Spark plug recommendation for Spider S4

8K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  CADCHUCK429 
#1 ·
Looking to replace Spark plugs with a proven record for my new to me Spider S4. Presently installed are NGK BPR6EGP from the P/O. Car shows 66K miles. New spark plug wires are also going to be replaced. Any suggestions or recommendations would be well appreciated once
again.
Thanks,
Chuck

#7 ·
Heat range 6 is one hotter than stock for an S4. I would definitely recommend going back to 7. You also want resistor plugs (with an R in the code) to damp electrical noise, as you've got electronic ignition and ECU computer.

So standard plugs would be BR7ES, or BPR7ES if you want projected tip (P.) If you want iridium you'd go with BR7EIX or BPR7EIX respectively.

I'm not sure about the projected plug thing, myself. I was running projected but noted some pinging under hard running in the hills, so currently switched to the non-projected to see if that helps (BR7EIX.) No difference in performance but I haven't gotten a good opportunity to see if it helped with the pinging.

(Since projected tip plugs move the spark closer to the piston, apparently this has the same effect as somewhat advancing the timing. With our 91 max octane fuel here in CA I'm likely pretty close to the advance limit at stock. We'll see if the standard plugs help.)

#8 ·
If your current plugs are working fine then there is little to be gained by changing them. It is true that heat range 7 is stock but 6 will be ok if you are not doing a lot of fast driving. Your current plugs are platinum wire electrode and the only "upgrade" would be to iridium electrode plugs that Tom suggests.

#10 ·
You'd want BR7ES, with the "R" in there. It's a resistor version, which is recommended for cars with electronic stuff.

NGK part number 5122. Rock Auto has 'em for $1.44 each. You want to go nuts, they have the BR7EIX iridium version (NGK 6664) for $5.18 each. I've used them both and never noticed a particular difference but for $20 total I just go with the iridium ones, myself.

Either one is a perfectly suitable plug for any sort of driving in the S4. It's a cooler plug than the 6 (which is a good thing for sustained hard driving) but it won't foul on you around town.

#11 ·

#14 ·
ooh! another sparkplug thread, it's like an oil thread;)

my 2 cents:
The resistor (5K.Ohm) is already in the original Bosch plug leads, so no need for an 'R' plug if you are using the correct leads (for S4)
In fact no need for 'P' (protruded tip) either, if you ask me, but each to his own.

My car runs perfect with B7ES (both with the ecu chip and without it), which is the cross referenced plug for the old Lodge 2HL.

NGK also lists the fancy upgrade, the EIX (iridium)

NGK Partfinder for Cars & Light Commercial Vehicles

but Bosch, Champion (alfa handbooks have often listed Champion as alternatives), Denso, Beru et al,
they are all 6 o' one and half a dozen of t'other
:)

#20 ·
I used NGK for a long time. Good plugs, no complaints. But.. if you are looking to try alternatives, someone on the forum suggested BERU plugs for the twin spark. I got a set of 8 and it has run very well on my fuel injected twin spark. I got a set of 4 for my Spica GTV and the car idled and ran much smoother than a brand new set of NGKs. They are 4 prong, but not platinum or iridium. I've had them in my twin spark for maybe 10 years, and the GTV for several years now.

UX56 Beru Spark Plug

#23 ·
Normally I use NGK BP7ES. But I’m very interested in BERU UX56. Because it looks similar to Bosch 4 platinum that I used used before and it was very good. Now it is very difficult to find Bosch 4 platinum. Therefore, I want to try BERU as alternative.

#21 ·
I routinely use Bosch Platinum Spark Plug; Platinum+4; FGR7DQP+ because these most resemble the original Lodge center electrode plugs used by Alfa Romeo

#24 ·
Normally I use NGK BP7ES. But I’m very interested in BERU UX56. Because it looks similar to Bosch 4 platinum that I used used before and it was very good. Now it is very difficult to find Bosch 4 platinum. Therefore, I want to try BERU as alternative.
Hello And Good Morning.I thank you all for chiming in with your feed back. I went with the NGK 4055 BPR7EIX Iridium seems to be the most popular. I'll install them this weekend along with new spark plug wires and main gas filter.
Happy Motoring,
Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.