Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Looking for advice

5K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  halosorio 
#1 ·
I have a number of items from my brother who passed away that I would like to sell. I am not very techie for using sites and spent the last 3 hours trying to sign in to one. Finally got in on this one. My brother left a 77 that is 148/150 in the Mario Andretti version. A 1960 engine, front end and some kind of cone shaped metal thing. Also some parts he bought new and used. So I will attempt to post pictures. Not sure that worked at all.

#2 ·
Hi,

You may need to post a few more messages, ten(?) in total, before being allowed to post photos.

Lots of us have bought and sold stuff on this BB, so it is a good place to post items for sale. You can also solicit advice; there are many people here with deep Alfa knowledge.

Remember to add a general location with your photos.

Cheers

#4 ·
You may need to post a few more messages, ten(?) in total, before being allowed to post photos.
Yes, you will need to complete 9 more posts here on the BB before you can add photos. This restriction can be a pain, but helps to keep the spammers at bay. And your ad won't be very effective without pictures, so it is worth the trouble. So tell us what you can about the cars and parts, perhaps about when your brother acquired them, how he used them, etc. Spread that across several posts.

Lots of us have bought and sold stuff on this BB, so it is a good place to post items for sale. Remember to add a general location with your photos.
Agree. Posting a classified ad here will allow you to reach Alfa enthusiasts world-wide. But as BobG noted, unless you give out the general metropolitan area where the cars and parts are located, people won't be that interested. No sense in a New Yorker getting excited about a car that might be in New Zealand!

Once you are ready to post, be sure to put the car ad in the "Cars For Sale & Wanted" area of the classified forums. And the parts ad in the "Parts For Sale & Wanted" area.

Hagerty Insurance offers a good, free, on-line valuation tool for vintage cars. You can find it at: https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/auto?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjOrtBRCcARIsAEq4rW7c78CZjfAXGvpRnAYd6XGqNrqrGE4Uy4zwnEWlyF51S31TlHN59n0aAi-fEALw_wcB&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwjOrtBRCcARIsAEq4rW7c78CZjfAXGvpRnAYd6XGqNrqrGE4Uy4zwnEWlyF51S31TlHN59n0aAi-fEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!5126!3!283867042004!e!!g!!hagerty%20valuation%20tool&aff=g_us_hv_e

#6 ·
So I have a bucket of parts plus parts he took off the car. How do you know if the part is from 1960 or just a new remake??

Attachments

#11 ·
How do you know if the part is from 1960 or just a new remake??
Often you can't -- especially when there's no intact, used or broken original piece available for a side-by-side comparison.

#8 ·
SuziQ,

Your parts appear to be for a 1960 Touring 2000. I have two of these cars and tend to pick up lots of these parts to assist other restorers.

Do you have a price in mind? I’d be happy to buy the lot.

I’ll send you a personal message with my contact info. If you can’t access the PM system, post a way to get in touch.

Don

#9 ·
SuziQ and DPeterson3:

I sent a PM to SuziQ expressing interest in the Sprint GT grille shown in the last picture in post #6. I think Don will agree that this would not fit a 1960 Touring 2000 and as such, I am assuming that he wouldn't be interested in it. But I realize that Don did reply first, so he does have dibs on the lot.

#16 ·
I’ve received no reply either here on the BB, or to a PM.

Suzi, if you can, let me know your interest in selling the whole batch. You can either split out non-2000 parts, or I’ll do it. I’m possibly better equipped to ID what fits the old 2000 and what doesn’t.

#17 ·
So having a hard time trying to figure out how to get to respond to your messages. I see your posts in email but it didn't take me to the original posts area. My young friend trying to help me with it. So just not sure on value or how to arrange sales. I live in Appleton, WI.

#18 ·
Suzi,

To respond to the Private Messages (PM's), log in and then click on "Your Notifications" and then "Unread Private Messages". Clicking on an individual message will allow you to respond to it.

Most buyers will want to pay with paypal have have you ship the items to them. The various Flat Rate boxes from USPS (small/medium/large) are usually the best option unless the parts are too large to fit.

Chuck

Attachments

#19 ·
So playing tournament next few days, I will work on this on Monday. In general we are selling things at a little less then value to move it and be a fair deal, and I can do paypal. So I will get in touch with the guys that expressed interest for the small stuff. The bigger parts I have questions about ... sellable or junk?

1. Frame front end he took off, as in a bar with big spring coils on it, dragged it outside so exposed to elements.
2. A cone shaped structure with a pipe someone said went with the cone thing.
3. The 60 engine, how do you know if it works to sell it?

#20 ·
What sort of Tournament?

Feel free to send me pics. I’ll ID what you have.

If you have a 1960 2000 engine, which seems likely given your other parts, it’s value can range from zero to maybe $2,500, if repairable. Or, a lot more if it was professionally rebuilt and securely stored.

#22 ·
You can try to email me at autotech .... at..... flash.... dot..... net.

Don

#24 ·
Wow I have such difficulty navigating this and have not had time to figure it out. As I said I was away at a pool tournament and was plugging away and got through to the finals Sat morning. When I woke up that morning I had vertigo. Oddly enough it gave me a kind of tunnel vision to the match and I pulled off the first of 4 state womens masters titles for the season. The next days have been flu like symptoms and headache. I have tried to open the website link my young friend saved to my phone a number of times and it would just do that circling loading thing. So I finally had done chiro and massage yesterday to feel better and thought today about seeing if the past emails would allow me back on. So I hope you see this. I hardly know how to start at doing transactions and what is best for making a fair profit. Folks have msgd interest in particular items but not sure which ones they refer to or how much to ask. Tomorrow I have a tourney and then should be back in town for the week. I hope to catch up on the emails and see if young friend who also is playing tourneys on our crazy schedule will help me navigate and sell these things. The parts are malleable but the car needs them to get here in Appleton, WI. The engine I know just that he took it out to put a bigger one in the car. The front frame end with the spring like things, along with the big cone shaped thingy are laying outside in the snow and was going to have metal collector take it unless you guys think there is any value to that. Sorry for the slow responses. I hope you can read this. Not even sure if this shows for everyone or just who sent the email. Hope my improvement in health continues as the vertigo thing really sucked. Could not even enjoy the win because it has been an out of body type experience.

#25 ·
Congrats on your masters titles and sorry to hear about the vertigo. Yes, see your message.

I'm still interested in the red and white badge from your original picture posting.

If you want to Private Message someone, you first need to be logged in and click on your profile at the top right, then click on "Conversations" and then "Start Conversation." You will then need to put the name of the recipient in the "Recipients" box and it will list out anyone starting with that name. Let me know if you need assistance.

Chuck

Attachments

#26 ·
If you woke up with vertigo I suggest you make it to your physician as soon as you can. Not knowing your age, you can have crystals in your ear canal (typical and can be treated usually very easily) or you may have something else going on (inner ear infection or other). But its nothing to fool around with really.

Good luck in the tourney and get worked up by a health care provider please!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.