Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently restoring a 1971 Gtv that I bought from a seller in Toronto. I’m trying to figure out the history of my car. From what I can tell the 71 gtv sold in the US had the later model wide tail lights and large rectangular side markers. My car seems to have the body style of a 69 gtv with small circular side markers and small tail lights. The interior also came with the 69 style twin pod dash, however the seats look more similar to the 72-76 car rather than the flying buttresses seats. I’m a little confused as to where my car fits in to the timeline if anyone can enlighten me on this I would really appreciate it. Attached below are some photos of the car prior to restoring followed by the car in its current state. Btw I’m new to the vintage Alfa game so please forgive my ignorance on the subject.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,471 Posts

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Others will chime in with greater knowledge than I, I am sure... but 2-litre cars started in 72, and they got the wide tail lights. Prior to that they were 1750s. Second-series 1750s didn’t get the flying buttresses seats. What motor do you think you have? If you’re not sure, you can tell by looking at the symbols on the front of the motor. Post a pic and you’ll get an answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Others will chime in with greater knowledge than I, I am sure... but 2-litre cars started in 72, and they got the wide tail lights. Prior to that they were 1750s. Second-series 1750s didn’t get the flying buttresses seats. What motor do you think you have? If you’re not sure, you can tell by looking at the symbols on the front of the motor. Post a pic and you’ll get an answer.
From what I can tell it was a 1750. When I bought the car it did not have an engine, but there were 1750 badges on the car as well as an iniezione badge on the rear. The car is currently running a freshly built 2 liter out of a spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
What is the serial number. And pictures of the TIPO plate in engine bay and driver side b pillar platic plate. K

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The vin is AR1531048. I’m can’t get pictures of the the car at the moment. Will update with photos of the tipo plate and the b pillar plate when I’m not at work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vin is AR1531048. I’m can’t get pictures of the the car at the moment. Will update with photos of the tipo plate and the b pillar plate when I’m not at work.
I forgot to add this to my initial post. The previous owner of my car is in Toronto. He purchased the car from the first owner out of Minnesota. I’m pretty sure the first owner purchased the car in either Minnesota or Iowa. Just some extra detail to help clarify.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Once you have this info, pass along. In the meantime, looks to be a 1969 US model (105.51).
You can distinguish this easily by the round side markers front and back, Inienzione badge on tail panel, back-up light, 69 front bumper in dusty garage pic, brake boosters omit, small tailights, gasket windshield and no rear defroster. 1969 interior was most likely swapped out during its life for a fresher 71 style.

It was most likely registered in 1971, as most Alfa's back in the day where registered later than actual production date.

Nice looking in silver. Where abouts in Toronto?

Regards,

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
AR 1531048 does not appear in the GT/GTV registry but falls between two said built in first half of 1970. Not that that means Alfa thinks they built them in chronological order as you can see if you look carefully at the list.

I more or less agree with what Anthony says above. Only other explanation (assuming it does not have telltale body modifications) is, re the seats, is that it is a transition car, which is hard to determine. When you have had time to buy the build info from Alfa post it here and on the GTV Registry.

Nice looking GTV

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
The floor mounted pedals would be 69 too. I had a 1970 105.44 and it was then hanging pedals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Once you have this info, pass along. In the meantime, looks to be a 1969 US model (105.51).
You can distinguish this easily by the round side markers front and back, Inienzione badge on tail panel, back-up light, 69 front bumper in dusty garage pic, brake boosters omit, small tailights, gasket windshield and no rear defroster. 1969 interior was most likely swapped out during its life for a fresher 71 style.

It was most likely registered in 1971, as most Alfa's back in the day where registered later than actual production date.

Regards,

Regards,
The last owner had the car in Dundas Ontario. I’m in the metro Detroit area and have had the car since August 2017.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Yup, I'd guess the explanation is as simple as that. Back before emissions and crash tests became such a big deal, motor vehicle departments just assigned the model year based on the date the car was first registered; not when it was built.

Yes, your car does seem to have later seats, but seats are easy to swap out. Probably the (now quite valuable) FB seats became worn out and a PO got a good deal on nice, later seats.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Yup, I'd guess the explanation is as simple as that. Back before emissions and crash tests became such a big deal, motor vehicle departments just assigned the model year based on the date the car was first registered; not when it was built.

Yes, your car does seem to have later seats, but seats are easy to swap out. Probably the (now quite valuable) FB seats became worn out and a PO got a good deal on nicer, 2L seats.
Jay I'm thinking they are 1970 or 71 1750 GTV seats.

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Correct Ken, those are 1750 S2 seats.

Reactions: brad fischer

·
Registered
487 Posts
I’m currently restoring a 1971 Gtv that I bought from a seller in Toronto. I’m trying to figure out the history of my car. From what I can tell the 71 gtv sold in the US had the later model wide tail lights and large rectangular side markers. My car seems to have the body style of a 69 gtv with small circular side markers and small tail lights. The interior also came with the 69 style twin pod dash, however the seats look more similar to the 72-76 car rather than the flying buttresses seats. I’m a little confused as to where my car fits in to the timeline if anyone can enlighten me on this I would really appreciate it. Attached below are some photos of the car prior to restoring followed by the car in its current state. Btw I’m new to the vintage Alfa game so please forgive my ignorance on the subject.
I have a rapidly dwindling set of originall factory stickers for your restoration project...see my ad about "emission stickers" I have two sets remaining for GTV 1971. When they run out the world will have no more originals! 9 each. I have the green lubrication sticker too . 9 also....no shipping charge. Bob Little

1 - 16 of 16 Posts