Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'd like to have my '69 Spider Veloce painted in the near future. I'm looking for a paint shop that works with vintage imports and is meticulous in the quality of their work. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in LA? Thanks.

Chuck

·
Registered
830 Posts
what

Hi,

I'd like to have my '69 Spider Veloce painted in the near future. I'm looking for a paint shop that works with vintage imports and is meticulous in the quality of their work. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in LA? Thanks.

Chuck
what would you like to spend?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what the going rate is. Price is always a consideration. I'll pay what I need to to get a quality job. Aside from a couple of touch-up areas, this would be exterior only, matching the original color. The door jams, trunk, dash...etc. are all fine. Do you have a paint shop in mind? What would the price range be?

·
Registered
830 Posts
well

I'm not sure what the going rate is. Price is always a consideration. I'll pay what I need to to get a quality job. Aside from a couple of touch-up areas, this would be exterior only, matching the original color. The door jams, trunk, dash...etc. are all fine. Do you have a paint shop in mind? What would the price range be?
Any shop that is goint to take any vintage car is very difficult to make original match do to todays formulas most of the original formulas are no longer avalible, the solid colors are almost not avalible, I have being working a in a Body Shop for 18 years. even today's colors are hard to match. if I was you look for a shop that are more old school type. some one that will do home work to do research on the original color, glasurrit has paint line 22, which is solid good paint. line 55 is color with clear coat. and line 90 water base do not used this. it will not be close to what had before. good luck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, although it now sounds like a more difficult task than I thought. I have the Alfa color code and the original Duco sticker is in place. I think that should help. The car still has lacquer paint, so it makes sense that using modern formulations will be somewhat of a tradeoff. I agree that what I need is an old school type, probably a smaller shop that will give the car proper attention. Still could use suggestions if anyone knows of such a shop.

·
Registered
830 Posts
can you post

What if I said $4K-6K. Now can anyone suggest a shop?
can you post pictures of your car. specialy the areas that need most of work. the price to do a good restore with no major work, like replace 1/4 panel, rear body panels , floors, rockers. it runs 6K to 7K this will include jams, inside engine compartment, doors, hood,trunk, rockers, also will include rust protections, inthe areas that are most like to get rust again. now the paint materials are also important. the best paint materials are glassurit, diamont. so for 6K to 7K. make sure this materials are used. also to have good results the car needs to primer 2 times before final paint. the first primer is to fill all open pores, and it must be sand by block. if I know I let you know. adan

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you looking for show quality paint (ie. never driven, no risk of chipped paint) or a really good driver quality? How much disassembly are you willing to do to make the shop's job easier (remove trim, bumpers, lights, wipers, etc.). If you want the door jambs, engine compartment and trunk painted are you willing to strip those areas down to the paint yourself? The more work you do the less the shop has to do and the less you have to pay. I mean, why pay shop rates for grunt labor? Besides they like doing the stuff that shows, not the removal/cleaning of trim, etc., so they go into the job with a better attitude and get their job done quicker.

What do you mean by L.A.? I know of a good street quality shop in La Habra and a great shop in Pomona.

Randy Harris
'62 & '67 Spiders
'78 Sport Sedan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
can you post pictures of your car. specialy the areas that need most of work. the price to do a good restore with no major work, like replace 1/4 panel, rear body panels , floors, rockers. it runs 6K to 7K this will include jams, inside engine compartment, doors, hood,trunk, rockers, also will include rust protections, inthe areas that are most like to get rust again. now the paint materials are also important. the best paint materials are glassurit, diamont. so for 6K to 7K. make sure this materials are used. also to have good results the car needs to primer 2 times before final paint. the first primer is to fill all open pores, and it must be sand by block. if I know I let you know. adan

Adan, thanks for the paint info. I was wondering, should the exterior paint be taken away completely (bare metal) for best results or is it enough to sand and prime? How would that effect the cost?

The paint on the car is a great 10 footer as is. No rust other than a little surface rust on a shallow ledge inside the engine bay near the battery. The body is straight and other than a slight wavyness in a panel or two, the only dents are the kind of thing a dent removal shop could push back out. The difficiency is that the paint is older and showing some haze that while improved by detailing, is still present. Also, the paint is showing some scratches and wear-through along some edges due to an over aggressive detailer somewhere in its history. Aside from the exterior, paint everywhere else I believe is original and is in great shape. This is a very original car. So I would only be interested in doing the minimum, refreshing the exterior paint and taking care of that area in the engine bay.

Chuck

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you looking for show quality paint (ie. never driven, no risk of chipped paint) or a really good driver quality? How much disassembly are you willing to do to make the shop's job easier (remove trim, bumpers, lights, wipers, etc.). If you want the door jambs, engine compartment and trunk painted are you willing to strip those areas down to the paint yourself? The more work you do the less the shop has to do and the less you have to pay. I mean, why pay shop rates for grunt labor? Besides they like doing the stuff that shows, not the removal/cleaning of trim, etc., so they go into the job with a better attitude and get their job done quicker.

What do you mean by L.A.? I know of a good street quality shop in La Habra and a great shop in Pomona.

Randy Harris
'62 & '67 Spiders
'78 Sport Sedan

The car is not a trailer queen, but it may be one of the best original cars around. I just want to bring the quality of the exterior back up to the level of the rest of the car. So I would say I'm looking for the paint to be top quality driver. The nicer the better. I'm fine with removing and reinstalling bumbers, trim ...etc. and letting the paint shop do what they do best. I would actually prefer doing it that way.

I would consider taking it to a shop basically anywhere in the LA basin, OC or San Fernando Valley. It would be worth the travel for a really great result.

Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
120 Posts
Chuck,

The Spdier looks great in that color. Give me a call at 909-596-5832 (evenings) or 909-638-5004 (days). Every time I try to leave a post of over a couple of paragraphs the BB eats it instead of posting it.

Randy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chuck,

The Spdier looks great in that color. Give me a call at 909-596-5832 (evenings) or 909-638-5004 (days). Every time I try to leave a post of over a couple of paragraphs the BB eats it instead of posting it.

Randy
Randy,
Thanks for your help. I also like the way this color works for the car, especially from inside seeing the matching dash and nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lanse Haselrig painted my 1961 Giulietta and did a beautiful job.

2261 Federal Ave
Los Angeles, CA
(310) 473-0881

Steve
Thanks Steve.

I'll contact him as well. There was some good feedback about his work on a Mercedes BB.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chuck,
Love the color! I have the exact same car and color.
Steve

·
Registered
194 Posts
Body work

Chuck,
I am in the same boat you are. I am prepping the car for paint. My metal shop has been removing the dents the old fashioned way.Here a few shots of the hood and trunk. They are working on the doors now. My car is a CA car with original paint and 32k miles. The great part is NO rust. The bad is 40 years of small dents all over the body.I plan on using the Glasurit paint. I did see the formula for our color on a website. I will be curious if it matches. Hopefully by this time next year it will be painted.

Steve

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts