Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am on the search for my first Alfa, a GTV to be exact. Would love to find a well priced 69 with a body that is straight and either restored or worth being restored. I am a poor man, so this might be a challenge:) Would love to be able to find a car that is ready to go but feel I am possibly a little shy on funding at this time for that. In the event that you know of a complete car or a good base for a rebuild let me know. I live in LA so the closer the car the better.

Cheers,

Roger

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi Roger - You've come a little late to the party if finances are tight. The last couple of years have been a little crazy. A cheap GTV won't be good and a good one won't be cheap anymore, unless you get extremely lucky. My advice is to broaden your search to include the 2liter cars - more plentiful and better priced. A project will likely end up costing you more than a decent driver in the long run, so I'd keep saving the coin until you can get into a solid car. A nice 71 recently sold on Ebay for just shy of 20k. That was one of the better valued GTVs I've seen lately.
Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Roger - You've come a little late to the party if finances are tight. The last couple of years have been a little crazy. A cheap GTV won't be good and a good one won't be cheap anymore, unless you get extremely lucky. My advice is to broaden your search to include the 2liter cars - more plentiful and better priced. A project will likely end up costing you more than a decent driver in the long run, so I'd keep saving the coin until you can get into a solid car. A nice 71 recently sold on Ebay for just shy of 20k. That was one of the better valued GTVs I've seen lately.
Good luck.
I am always late to the party.. I understand that I am going to have to pay the late guy premium I just want to make sure I do not pay the super late guy premium!

I had my eye on the 71 last week, even had what would have possibly been a winning snipe on it but canceled the bid on the last day. My hesitations look like they might have cost me a deal.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That blue one really was a deal. I'd have bid on it too if I knew it would go for 20k. Just don't let your emotions take over. The most important thing you can do is follow the market daily. Keep track of every auction and listing you can find and get to know the problem areas at a glance. It took me a long while to find mine, but as soon as I saw it here in the classifieds I knew it was the right car at the right price and bought it sight unseen - maybe not the smartest thing to do, but I knew if I didn't someone else would have. I got a great GTV for the money. I passed on a lot of others and I don't kick myself over any of them except the 12k very dry Stepnose less than 100 miles away here on the east coast - What the hell was I thinking?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Roger -
I totally agree with all of Matt D's comments but would hasten to add: (from Galaxy Quest) "never give up - never surrender" - there are still nice GTVs that come up from time to time (more and more infrequently) but you should really extend your search to include 2.0 liter cars. If you can find a nice 69-71 car with the 2.0 liter engine you can always drive it for a few years and when you're feeling flush re-engine the car with a 1750. I bought one three weeks ago that is a nice car (nice - not great) that is a spectacular driver without much rust (none where it counts) and bought it with a currently strong running 2.0 liter/dual Weber set up as well as a spare 1750 engine/tranny and 4:10 rear end for $17K. I don't think it was a great deal - just fair but I've never driven a car that handled like this in my life - they absolutely terrific and that's a serious understatement.
Good luck and keep the faith,
Steve
63 Giulia Spider
71 GTV

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Roger -
I totally agree with all of Matt D's comments but would hasten to add: (from Galaxy Quest) "never give up - never surrender" - there are still nice GTVs that come up from time to time (more and more infrequently) but you should really extend your search to include 2.0 liter cars. If you can find a nice 69-71 car with the 2.0 liter engine you can always drive it for a few years and when you're feeling flush re-engine the car with a 1750. I bought one three weeks ago that is a nice car (nice - not great) that is a spectacular driver without much rust (none where it counts) and bought it with a currently strong running 2.0 liter/dual Weber set up as well as a spare 1750 engine/tranny and 4:10 rear end for $17K. I don't think it was a great deal - just fair but I've never driven a car that handled like this in my life - they absolutely terrific and that's a serious understatement.
Good luck and keep the faith,
Steve
63 Giulia Spider
71 GTV
Thank you! I will keep looking, the right car is out there I am sure.

Think I saw your car at the best of France and Italy show last month. I had my eye on it but had even less of a budget to deal with at that point, glad it went to a good home.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Look every day. I have bought 2 Alfa's in 2 years. Good ones go quick. I bought a GTV 1750 on here. I was the first one to call and he liked me. Ended up up on Bring a Trailer, and he wouldn't budge on price but no way I would have got it if I didn't jump right on it. Also bought a Super on eBay but had to jump on it quickly.

Very few steals out there. I'm always looking to add to my collection. I was looking for a Super for a year or so, so you have to be persistent.

·
Registered
392 Posts
By the way, I've noticed on eBay that the choices are larger currently than I have seen in the last 2 years. Very good selection of nice cars on there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hope you're following the re-listed red one on ebay with the 2500 mile rebuilt engine and tranny - needs upholstrey but could be worth contacting the owner for a "buy it now" price. Car is in SF - you could even drive it home...
S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts