Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mid way through a restoration only to discover the head is N.G. Fully realizing how scarce they are would never the less appreciate any leads, thanks, Fred. Autostrada 360-588-8311.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Contact Merritt Cardin: (510) 396-7893. I don't know if he has a head, but he advertised a bunch of other GTA bits for sale (like the magnesium cam cover) in the latest "Overheard Cams"

If that phone number doesn't work - let me know - I pulled it off a search on this site, but I can double check with his ad at home if for some reason that # is wrong...

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Fred, If I remember correctly, Ken McBride knew of a head for sale earlier this summer, and he was thinking of buying it as a spare.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
I've got Merritt's phone number listed as 510-797-2446. That worked last year.....

-df
the original number I posted is the same as currently listed in the 12/07 Cams.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is it?
Didn't know that. How so? I thought they were remanufactured normal heads, welded and redrilled, but what seems to be wrong with them?
Anyone know?

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I heard that they are fresh castings, but the quality was sufficiently poor to make a well-known racer here in the UK commission his own castings. I guess that it can get misleading when too many second-hand stories are passed around, so maybe someone with genuine experience of these heads should comment.

Jim Evans (also in the UK) makes those welded-up GTA heads, but he's a very difficult man to contact. I'm not sure he even has an email address! A shame, because he'd have a lot to contribute to this forum ...

Alex.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there.
Can you explain why the head needs replacing? There are alot of clever engineering companies about that can work their magic and rescue so called junk heads.

Mel.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
A jolly good question, I can only suppose that after numerous machinings the thickness of the head falls below a certain threshold. At that point the compression ratio gets alarmingly high and the valves start to become a little too intimate with the pistons. Why thicker gaskets can't be used is, again, another good question and perhaps someone could explain both to me and Mel. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
I've seen extra-thick copper gaskets to remedy this problem but I seem to recall someone saying that this is not a viable long-term solution because of electolysis issues between the copper and the aluminium, unless you're only going to build up the engine when you plan on using it ... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deadheads-

This particular head had the valve spring pockets machined down then epoxied when the H20 area was breached. Over-porting may have also compromised this area. I've seen cars running double washers under the head nuts when planed "too much". That particular car ran special pistons w/ deeper valve pockets. Thanks everyone for the leads- have not confirmed anything yet but am pursuing a couple of things, Fred.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts