Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am a college student, and on a very tight budget. I am interested in finding a cheap ($1000 or less) spider. I understand that I will not be getting a real gem in that price range, but I am really just looking for something that is running, I can take care of the rest. Let me know if you know of anything available within a few hundred miles of new orleans. thanks a bunch.

by the way, what kind of gas mileage can I expect to get in your average spider, with gas prices creeping up, anything is better than my gas guzzling truck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not to be a downer, but a sub-$1000 spider will cost more in parts and labor than you might save in fuel economy. I wouldn't think you could find a running spider for under $1000. On a good day a Spider can get 30 mpg, but I typically get 22-24 driving like a madman. Best bet for you would be a Toyota Corrolla, etc., or a motorcycle/scooter. Nonetheless, I'll keep an eye open for runnig spiders for less than $1000.

Andy

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Hello all. I am a college student, and on a very tight budget. I am interested in finding a cheap ($1000 or less) spider. I understand that I will not be getting a real gem in that price range, but I am really just looking for something that is running, I can take care of the rest. Let me know if you know of anything available within a few hundred miles of new orleans. thanks a bunch.

by the way, what kind of gas mileage can I expect to get in your average spider, with gas prices creeping up, anything is better than my gas guzzling truck.
It's not a Alfa :( but it is a Spider and I know it's for sale. Excell. gas mileage too:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha, real funny. but seriously, I am looking at this more of a project car kind of thing..I will still be using my truck for most of my commuting, so I dont plan on relying on a car that is falling apart. really I am just looking for something running, that is not completely rusted out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also, does anyone know where there are parts/alfa mechanics in southern louisiana area? thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The answer to that all depends on where in south louisiana you are???? Parts, there pretty much are none, but there are many places you can order them from and have them shortly..... as far as mechanics, there is a guy in Baton Rouge who dabbles.... there are two shops in Memphis, TN and Houston, TX that people around here tend to use.... well, then there is my husband Tim who worked for the Alfa shop in Texas briefly....

and Andy, I hate to say it, but Tim's plat Milano was a $600 ebay car that just needed brake pads and tires to get it on the road.... and then there is the spider - $1600 - once again, it just needed tires, well an keys....

coyle, don't let andy be a pessimist :p they can be found, but just aren't common - it's a search - where in louisiana are you - you really should talk to my husband Tim....send an e-mail to [email protected] (that's my alfa e-mail address as the webmaster of the deep south site) I can give you Tim's number and he'd be glad to talk to you about it - he is the eternal Alfa optimist, (sorry Andy :) much love!) Tim will help ya out!

Brittaney
'06 Scion Xb (Tostapane)

Tim's Alfa
'85 Spider Veloce (Abbriana)
'88 Milano Verde "S" (Maura)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brittaney, thanks for the (optimistic) response. I actually have a spider that I am looking into right now, I will be sure to contact you or your husband when I have something lined up. Ill also be sure to check out your site when its up and running.

as for the parts and mechanics, I have grown used to alot traveling since the storm, so anything within a few hundred miles of new orleans/ baton rouge is great. Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds great - I don't know how familiar you are with Alfa's, but if you wanted anyone to have a look at the car as well, just post a note on here - there are tons of very knowledgable guys on here that would be glad to take a look at it for you - let you know what to watch out for.... I only say this having us have the experience of buying a car we definately should not have - which is now rotting away in Houston. Good luck and let us know if you need any help/advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts