Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preferably trimmed. Will trade for some alfetta rims with a weird bolt pattern that i have in my garage.

Okay seriously, even back in the day did anyone order this part? Is there any way it was cheaper than buying a new car?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Probably just something that was purchased by an insurance company in the event of a smash? A couple of years ago I went to look at a very nice E30 BMW which was for sale not far from me. I commented on its unusually good bodywork and the owner told me that the previous owner was a highly respected commercial lawyer in London who had purchased the car from new. When, in the ninth year of her ownership, she discovered that the car was starting to suffer from rust issues, she successfully persuaded BMW GB to honour its 10-year anti-rust warranty and had a brand new body shell shipped out from Germany, into which was transplanted all the parts removed from her old shell. It must have cost a small fortune, and she must have put the fear of God into BMW management or that would never have been approved. Anyway, I'm not sure if any kind of anti-corrosion warranty was offered by the time that the 2000GTV came along, but what kind of obsessive would order a spare shell "just in case"?!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I know a guy down here has a LHD NOS shell/doors etc for a Giulia Super in his workshop.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,570 Posts
I've got one of those if you want to buy it. No rust, good paint, glass, kinda bent but drives great
on jack stands now

·
Registered
222 Posts
Anyway, I'm not sure if any kind of anti-corrosion warranty was offered by the time that the 2000GTV came along, but what kind of obsessive would order a spare shell "just in case"?!
LOL...an anti-corrosion warranty on an italian car in the 70s?

a corrosion guarantee, i'd believe. :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
What we in Oz call a concrete warranty - guaranteed all the way to the end of the concrete driveway ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are serious Classic Alfa were flogging complete restored shells for a bit.

They weren't cheap but if you have a donor car then it's a quick way to getting back on the road I guess

I had a look on their website just now and don't see any shells currently available

Andy

·
Registered
184 Posts
Preferably trimmed. Will trade for some alfetta rims with a weird bolt pattern that i have in my garage.

Okay seriously, even back in the day did anyone order this part? Is there any way it was cheaper than buying a new car?
Not sure about back in the day, but companies today like BMW and Porsche do this still. They're called "bodies in white" and have a part number, and can be ordered without undercoatings so they make for great race car builds (lighter weight and MUCH easier to seam weld). They come prime painted only. Maybe Alfa racers back then were ordering these things?

E46 motorsport body in white:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts