Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so tired of replacing the dang water pump. My current pump just went out after 14,000 miles, which I should be happy about as it's almost twice as long as my previous pump.

I tried fitting an electric pump, which turned into a very pricy project. The heat didn't work, and ultimately it failed after 8,000 miles.

In a web search I came upon A1 Cardone Remanufactured Water Pump for a very reasonable $45 — does anyone know of these, they claim to use Totally new, upgraded severe-duty ball/roller bearing. Provides 20% longer life and handles up to 50% more radial load.

I also came upon a Beck Arnley 131-2099 Water Pump these seem to go for $60 to $120.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay extra for a pump that lasted as long as the timing belt.

Anyone try one of these pumps or have a better idea???

Thanks

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,085 Posts
You're not overtensioning the belt, are you? That's not good for bearing life...

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
I'm so tired of replacing the dang water pump. My current pump just went out after 14,000 miles, which I should be happy about as it's almost twice as long as my previous pump.

I tried fitting an electric pump, which turned into a very pricy project. The heat didn't work, and ultimately it failed after 8,000 miles.

In a web search I came upon A1 Cardone Remanufactured Water Pump for a very reasonable $45 — does anyone know of these, they claim to use Totally new, upgraded severe-duty ball/roller bearing. Provides 20% longer life and handles up to 50% more radial load.

I also came upon a Beck Arnley 131-2099 Water Pump these seem to go for $60 to $120.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay extra for a pump that lasted as long as the timing belt.

Anyone try one of these pumps or have a better idea???

Thanks
The ones I offer work just fine and have gone 60K++ miles on them.
$75.00 made in Italy.

Key is tension on belt but I have never seen anyone plow through waterpumps like this. What kind of coolant are you using?
I have over 70K on mine. Still no issues with it. Very high quality units.

Jason

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I think you are getting what you paid for. Stop looking for the cheapest one you can find. I have been on this forum for a good long while and haven't heard of people going through pumps this fast. Buy one of the Italian Saleri brand pumps for around $75. Mine has lasted a long time, now that I think about it. I believe I have only ever installed the one since I have owned the car and I have put at least 60,000 miles on the car myself. I think my dad had one put on it one time before that many years ago, so maybe this car has only had 3 pumps on it from new. I'm kind of guessing on that. I wouldn't buy any A1 Cardone junk for any car.
Charles

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,085 Posts
For the record, I did buy a rebuilt TR7 brake booster from A1 Cardone and it seemed pretty well done. But given that new V6 water pumps are still available and not very expensive I don't think I'd muck about with a rebuilt one.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Rule of thumb...Change the timing belt every 30,000 miles. Change the water pump every other belt change. I use the $75 ones. They easily last 60,000 miles. Tighten the serpentine belt just tight enough so the belt doesn't squeal. I probably have close to 225,000 miles on 164s. This rule of thumb has worked for me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My pump previous to the current went 70 thousandth and some odd change and it was an original made in Italy pump. I changed it because of the head gasket needed replaced but it still looked and felt solid. Di Fatta still has 4 on stock but I think they are a bit pricey, he told me he had to special order them and had to pay some good amount to get them airmailed over. Speaking of water pumps, has anyone ever run Pentofrost coolant? I use it in my Audi and it keeps all of my cooling parts in great shape, was wondering if it could work well in the Alfa also since it is phosphate free.

·
1991 164L
27,800 Posts
I changed my first one on Originale at 100K just because it had 100k and I was doing timing belt, too.

Have not had one fail on me yet but have gotten used 164s and worked on friends who have had bad pumps. I have gotten replacements from IAP. Difatta and AW imports and none have been rebuilt always new ones.

I have been working on rebuilding them myself and have a special fixture to disassemble and assemble but not ready to Alpha or Beta test one in an Alfa 164 yet.

I got new bearings and seals from a rebuilder of Maserati pumps so I think I have good parts but bearing sealed unit so wider/thicker on bearing shaft and I have to machine off face of impeller end that usually pushes on original seal set up so I can get impeller on fair enough..

To many other projects so haven't gotten arround to repulling impeller off to machine it down.

Over tightening serpeentine belt is the death of water pump bearings me thinks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the record my mechanic has been changing them and I'm not looking for the cheapest, I just want one that last. I believe my mechanic has been getting them though Alfa Parts, but I did buy one from Anthony Rimicci when he was selling parts.

He set's the tension light enough so that when you turn on the AC is squeals a little.

Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
570 Posts
A new mechanic. Sorry, but you just kind of set that one up.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yes, I have to agree with what everyone has said. My pump is the original unit with 120k kms on it and it's fine. I will probably change it next timing job just for kicks...

·
Premium Member
9,886 Posts
My pump previous to the current went 70 thousandth and some odd change and it was an original made in Italy pump. I changed it because of the head gasket needed replaced but it still looked and felt solid. Di Fatta still has 4 on stock but I think they are a bit pricey, he told me he had to special order them and had to pay some good amount to get them airmailed over. Speaking of water pumps, has anyone ever run Pentofrost coolant? I use it in my Audi and it keeps all of my cooling parts in great shape, was wondering if it could work well in the Alfa also since it is phosphate free.
Ahh, no need to pay more than $75 for the Saleri, they are just fine. Yes. I run pentofrost or Pentosin coolant. Awesome stuff. I don't run anything else. Works great and keeps coolant system nice and clean.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I took my 164 when I first got it to the dealer for a TB change. Palace Imports here in Pittsburgh. The fellow called me on the phone and asked if I would like the water pump changed since it's a job they recommend done at the same time. I said sure, go for it. 7 months later I took it back because the WP was leaking! He said I would have to pay for a new pump since there is a 6 month warranty on aftermarket parts. I said I never told you guys to put an aftermarket pump on this car. This is an Alfa Romeo dealership and I expect OEM parts which have 1 year warranty on it. To shorten a long story they replaced it with an OEM pump and I never had a problem since. They ate the cost of the pump but made me pay for the labor. I'll never go back there again! Thanks to this forum I just do it all myself!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hay italcarnut, where did they get the OEM pump? everyone I've talked to says it's not available.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
For what is is worth, my 24v 164 is still on the original pump, with 150,000 miles on the clock. Preserved the life of the slightly grumbling bearings by running the serpentine belt only just tight enough for last 40,000 miles. That's how much was avoiding changing it, due to fear of bolt shear. Cambelts changed regularly though - as a must.
Am changing the pump this year - had a new one sitting in a cupboard for at least 3 years...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts