Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a rebuilt or good working condition wheel to wheel 4.10, 4.30 or 4.56 LSD differential for a 1974 GTV. Also will need appropriate speedometer gear. Have posted under Parts for Sale forum as well. Running a 5.12 now but would like longer legs for highway drives.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Are you sure you got an 8/41 or 5.12 in your car?

There are some parts books that mistakenly list an 8/41 for 2000 GTV when in fact it was a 9/41 (4.56) in US models. Euro 2000 GTV always came with 10/41.

·
Super Moderator
10,584 Posts
If you do a lot of highway driving, I would suggest narrowing your search to just the 4.10 and crossing the 4.56 off your list. If you're going through the trouble of doing a differential swap, hold out for the 4.10. Check your speedometer's accuracy with the new diff before assuming that you need to change its drive gears.

As Alleggrita asks, how did you end up with a 5.12 in your 1974 GTV?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do a lot of highway driving, I would suggest narrowing your search to just the 4.10 and crossing the 4.56 off your list. If you're going through the trouble of doing a differential swap, hold out for the 4.10. Check your speedometer's accuracy with the new diff before assuming that you need to change its drive gears.

As Alleggrita asks, how did you end up with a 5.12 in your 1974 GTV?
The car came with the 5.12. Guessing that a previous owner set it up for autocross or hill climbs or something short. I like the quickness from the 5.12 but it’s not great for long highway drives (though probably saves me from speeding tickets). I do a wide variety of driving so looking for a more versatile diff.

I’m torn between a 4.10 and 4.56 and probably will try both over time. Doubting I’ll find a 4.30 but that would be a nice compromise between the two. At this point I’m primarily looking for a good unit at a reasonable price.

I will likely change cams next but wanted to get the feel for the differential before doing any more modifications.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'd go for the 4.10 if it were me.
1897, where are you located?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m in Westchester County, just outside of New York City.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
ballough510 in Florida might have a 4.10 for ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts