Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A while ago, a friend and I were considering to buy and restore a 60s-vintage Alfa that was sitting in the lot of a local garage. The owner was asking an absurd price given it's condition, so we refused... his loss, the car is still sitting there.

I've secretly wanted an Alfa... I've loved all of my cars (Impreza, Integra & multiple VW's), but I've never had a love affair. And it's been brewing since the mid-90s when I was barely a teen, largely due to one issue of European Car magazine that my dad bought me upon returning from a business trip... it featured a wicked 3.1L VR6 Corrado and the GTV6 project car. I still have the mag, having taped it back together due to repetitive reading.

Long story, short, an 84 GTV6 popped up in the local classifieds, but in need of restoration. It's a shot in the dark, but given the price I can live with it. I'm hoping to check it out shortly (once midterms are over) and buy it once I can work out temporary storage and transport.

I have 2 plans:
Plan A:
- restore and proceed through re-inspection
- drive an Alfa and have jealous friends

Plan B:
- If too much rot/bodywork required, will donate mechanicals to another project

Honestly, I prefer plan A, and I'm sure you guys will as well... more details, including pics to come within a week or two. I'm already armed with part prices from IAP, info from alfagtv6.com, etc. Fingers crossed.:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Keep an eye out for used parts too, I have was able to pick up a 2.5l block with new pistons and rings, all balanced for a song, did the same for a pair of rebuilt heads, you just have to take your time and know where to look.

My current love affair of 16 years with my GTV6 got it start from an article in Sport Cars Illustrated and an Alfa brochure, the magazine also had a Nissan 200SX with a V6, and all my high school buddies thought I was crazy for lusting after the Alfa instead of the Nissan, but what would you rather have today??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am truly cursed... it's gone, missed it due to being occupied with midterms. This is vehicle #3 since October when my daily driver first crapped out on me... first was a 2004 Subaru that I refused to skip class to check it out. I arrived to test drive it, only to have a couple put a deposit 15 minutes earlier. A week later a certified, low-mileage 07 Rabbit was missed by 20 minutes... now this. Argh!

Oh well. I guess all I can do is just keep looking.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am truly cursed... it's gone, missed it due to being occupied with midterms. This is vehicle #3 since October when my daily driver first crapped out on me... first was a 2004 Subaru that I refused to skip class to check it out. I arrived to test drive it, only to have a couple put a deposit 15 minutes earlier. A week later a certified, low-mileage 07 Rabbit was missed by 20 minutes... now this. Argh!

Bad luck :(

My love affair for GTV6s started when I was 13 years old (back in 1981) when I saw a grey one in Switzerland. It was parked at traffic lights. I knew I needed one in my life when it accelerated away....:cool:
I've been saving for nearly 30 years in order to get my 'perfect' '6 - she'll finally be ready (after a near-4 year rebuild) in Spring 2011!

300 bhp should make her fun....:D

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
110 Posts

Bad luck :(

My love affair for GTV6s started when I was 13 years old (back in 1981). I saw a grey one whilst on holiday in Switzerland. It was parked at traffic lights. I knew I needed one in my life when it accelerated away....:cool:
I've been saving for nearly 30 years in order to get my 'perfect' '6 - she'll finally be ready (after a near-4 year rebuild) in Spring 2011!

300 bhp should make her fun....:D

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I would say, when you're lusting, it's easy to get pulled into bed by a skank. Do yourself a favor and wait for the right woman. Same goes for Alfa's.

Kinda like getting Diane Lane after a few marriages gone bad. Used but not abused, and simply dying to be loved (and driven) properly!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't argue with that logic! Well I'm going forward with my Lotus 7 replica project while keeping my eyes on the prize... that GTV6. In the words of Clarkson: "You're not a real petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa."

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
G-Lader would be a nice compressor for the GTV6.
turbo_g_lader.jpg
VR6 is an interesting powerplant, but it too, had head gasket and indeed head warpage issues (one head covering both banks).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Long story, short, an 84 GTV6 popped up in the local classifieds, but in need of restoration. It's a shot in the dark, but given the price I can live with it. I'm hoping to check it out shortly (once midterms are over) and buy it once I can work out temporary storage and transport.:D
Where are you located? If you are somewhere near New England, I might have a 'Plan C' for you?

Not so long ago, I had an engineering student at UMass approach me about his similar dream. He later decided to buy a ready-to-drive Alfetta Coupe, and put off the GTV6 project until he finished college. I had a rust-free GTV6 parts car he was very interested in. I told him that shell may not be available until I had stripped it of the valuable bits. After a bit of thought, we concluded that if he could could purchase a very cheap rusted out GTV6 parts car, he could swap me that, plus a balance that would cover the difference between rusted and rust-free.

I'd still have all the removable parts on the rust bucket, and he wouldn't have to wait. By the time I'd finished stripping the car, it might be showing some rust, anyway. And the car he took away would still have a windshield, etc., etc. on it, so his project would not be as major.

He was also interested in my 3.0 Verde engine and headers as part of his on-going project. Plus I have a ton of extra parts on my other parts cars, so he could mix and match seat design, A/C, etc.

Don't know if that option has any appeal to you, but it's once again available. If you find another GTV6... I have plenty of used parts to help complete that one, too.

Just a thought...

Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can't argue with that logic! Well I'm going forward with my Lotus 7 replica project while keeping my eyes on the prize... that GTV6. In the words of Clarkson: "You're not a real petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa."
Huh. I'm taking your approach in reverse. The Alfa is a project that I can drive while it's in progress. It should be complete about the time the rust finishes off my Miata, at which point it becomes the drivetrain/suspension donor for a se7en clone :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have extra GTV6 transaxles and suspension parts... as much as you need. If you decide to start converting your Lotus 7 earlier than waiting for your GTV6 to become an organ donor.

I owned a 1971? Lotus Europa years ago. Definitely the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Street-legal Go-Kart. Totally impractical car, but the way it would take a corner made it worth the trouble.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Assuming you're replying to me....re-read the post. The Miata will be an organ donor. Certainly not the Alfa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just to clarify...
I was hoping to get the GTV6 and work on that as a project. If the body was too far gone, I would've used the mechanicals for the 7. Since I didn't get the GTV6, I was thinking of moving on to the 7 project using a VW 4-cyl, T5 trans, custom bellhousing, etc. then going for an Alfa later. I prefer an Alfa for it's complete package, rather than chopping it up.

Since my last post, summer employment plans have changed, which may require something with better gas mileage (e.g. Golf TDI) I'll know more about my vehicle situation in the coming weeks...

RedGT, the Miata is the perfect donor. With so many other builds around and several books about its use for a 7, it's a no-brainer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts