Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Quick introduction here, my name is Xander. Engineering student and relatively old hand at playing with various car and motorcycle projects but new to Alfas. Always loved Alfas and got into the GTV6s for performance potential but now really dig the looks as well.

I'm going to look at one this Friday, an '83 with a torn down motor and a theoretically rust free body. The owner says there's rust behind the front wheel wells, I know that's a common place for them but I'm not particularly worried about it. I have welding and fab experience and it looks like an easy panel to make.

What I'm concerned about is other rust. I find it hard to believe that in my northeastern climate that's isolated rust. But on the other hand, there seems to be a plastic panel there and that could have been accumulated water and mud behind it. Has anyone else seen rust only in that location or is it likely I'll find it all over the car?

Anything else to check for that would be a dealbreaker?

·
Premium Member
14,676 Posts
My '85 is completely rust free except for that same location on one side, but my car spent most of it's life in the desert West. Check around the front shock towers. Rust there could be terminal. I am sure that other folks who have owned rusty GTV6's can tell you of more key places to look.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
From the AlfaGTV6.com site, GTV6 Buyer's Checklist

"Rusty spots to watch for are the rocker panels, the front fenders behind the wheel well also around rear wheels area, the base of the windscreen, trunk area along rear bumper & spare tire well, also check rear hatch at top & bottom."

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
The owner says there's rust behind the front wheel wells, I know that's a common place for them but I'm not particularly worried about it. I have welding and fab experience and it looks like an easy panel to make.
It might be easy, it might not, depends on how far it has progressed. When you look at it, check carefully aroung the front jackpoints, because once the splash panel and body are holed, the front wheels shoot muck and water up inside the sill and rust it out. It'll be obvious if it is.

Also, check for rust on top of the sill at the base of the seat belt retractors. When the window rubber shrinks, rain drains down into that location.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alfaparticle, I'm optimistic that this car is like yours. I'll be hoping for that but not expecting it.

Bill2000, the owner tells me that the entire rust spot is smaller than a fist and is only just starting to go through. If that's the case shouldn't be that bad. I'll definitely be going over it with a fine tooth comb.

·
Premium Member
14,676 Posts
Alfaparticle, I'm optimistic that this car is like yours. I'll be hoping for that but not expecting it.

Bill2000, the owner tells me that the entire rust spot is smaller than a fist and is only just starting to go through. If that's the case shouldn't be that bad. I'll definitely be going over it with a fine tooth comb.
The cover that fills the space at the rear of the wheel arch is held on by a few screws. If you can jack up the front of the car, remove the wheels and then the covers, you should be able to see how bad it is. Mine has a drain tube from the sun roof that dumps into the the space behind the cover. No wonder that it rusted.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfaparticle, I'll definitely be taking that apart. **** this guy if he'll be offended by my skepticism, this ain't my first craigslist rodeo :)

Also, big thanks to Glenn/Heavy Metal Alfa for giving me a ton of advice on the phone this morning about what to look for and just generally talking Alfas for awhile. Hopefully I can repay you with my business if I buy this car!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Hi Xander - if the body shell isn't holed yet then your probably in good shape as far as the sills are concerned.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
btw - I think the rear splash guards come riveted, so you may not be able to remove them when you go look at it

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The killer rust for these is on the inner fenders up near the top / rear. difficult to get at to repair because the front fenders don't unbolt.

Also in the spare tire well - not the bottom, but the outboard side, which is a part of the rear "framerail"

It is possible to fix these areas on the car (I have done both) but not cost effective. Sentimental value for me.

Like you say the outer front fender rust at the lower rear corner is an easy fix. I found that it has to be pretty significant before the nose of the rocker gets involved. It also seems to be the first place to rust, so I can believe that it woudl be limited to there. Jack points are always a weak spot on these, but week jack points don't mean bad rockers.

Hope that you succeed in bring one back to life.

·
Registered
377 Posts
my advice/suggestion would be to have the '6 looked at/eyeballed by someone who knows, really knows Alfas in general and '6's in particular, and assuming that the car you're looking at is in your neighborhood, the guy to track down for this is Richard Welty (I believe he lives in Waterveliet)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, an Alfa guy in Watervliet? This sounds good. Is he a member of this forum?

I had planned on putting another 2.5 in for the summer and building the original motor with performance components next winter for either NA or a charged application with standalone ECU and all the goodies. So in short I'm not particularly concerned with anything but block integrity and out of the ordinary damage. That said I don't turn down anything but the worst advice and having more info is always better.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Great talking to you Zander.
If the body tub ain't toast, the rest is easy. The engine you have in mind could make it a good runner. Hope it is as relatively clean as we hoped.
Very interested in seeing what you do for your performance engine build.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey there HMA,
I spent a while on your website the other night. Fun stuff! Loved the videos, especially getting two cars with a Budget truck and trailer. Reminds me of the sort of wild adventures my dad would take me on when I was a kid. And that was all before craigslist! :)

Oh I've already got all kinds of plans. Still need time and money, so no one hold their breath. I haven't even bought a car yet, but if this one doesn't work out I'll be looking for another. I'm in hook, line, and sinker.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I looked at that Alfa today. TOTAL BUST. The car was entirely misrepresented both on the phone and in the ad. It had been sitting outdoors for 2-3 years, scaffolding had collapsed and wrecked a front fender, the other front fender had a crappy fiberglass patch, the interior was shot, paint was replaced with rust, engine was torn apart and the components were left out and rusted. As far as I could tell the body underneath was good but I couldn't get to much of it and trees had grown up around the car so I wasn't even sure we could get it out! I just felt bad for the car but the owner was just the kind of scuzzball who would let a classic rust into the ground cause he wanted a quick few grand out of it instead of the $500 it was worth. My friend and copilot wanted to go back and steal it just to save the car.

On the other hand this was my first time seeing a GTV6 in person and despite the poor example I'm totally in head over heels! I've redoubled my efforts to find one on my short budget and already have some promising leads!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Bummer. That must be why he wouldn't send me photos. I hope you find one soon. Come on up to Maine and I'll let you drive one!!

·
Banned
764 Posts
I bet one of those "43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts" that HMA has would be a good place to inquire. FWIW

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Xander- they come up regularly on craigslist in the greater NYC area, if you don't mind expanding your search area a bit. There's a couple on there now. The '81 has been there for a long time so I assume it's overpriced at $5500. What is your price range?

Bill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts