Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Hi Tif. Hey, neat deflector, but in the process, now let it be known you have rust on your convertible top bracketry (a word?), and in need of resto work!! When are you gonna tackle this, huh?

Rust eats on itself (feeds on itself?). Cancer.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Look Ma, No Bungees! Slightly Better Mouse Trap? (Or Wind Deflector)

Do you mean these bugs?
(It's the hood's front edge, now folded on the morning following an hour's drive in the night with the hood up, photographed in the act of surprising me and causing my girlfriend to wonder if she'll EVER feel the same way about taking a breath at night in the open.)
This post took me a minute to figure out....because I'm so locally focused and we call the hood, what Brit's call the bonnet, so I was not looking for bugs on a convertible top and had trouble figuring out what I was looking at, at first. The origin of the post solved the problem for me. Pat's first wife was of Hungarian descent and she spoke Hungarian with her parents and a little with Pat.

Where I live, even though the smog is much improved from when I was child, breathing deeply isn't healthy for reasons other than bugs; I suppose less deadly than smoking but equal to inhaling second hand smoke.

Is acrylic o.k., they also had Lexan (more $$$)???
As I recall, Lexan is subject to pitting and scratching easily, the reason Pat did not use it for replacement windows even for track use. Providing I'm correct, it would be a consideration as to how much might get thrown up against it that would cause marring.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Random answers in no particular order:

1) lexan will far exceed plexi for durability and shatter resistance (you can hit lexan with a hammer and it won't break)

Scratches and scuffs can be easily buffed out with the proper stuff. Gouges obviously cannot.

2) aluminum might not be stiff enough to stop the screen form flopping around in the wind. Do let us know if it does or doesn't please.

3) cutting either lexan or plexi can be accomplished with a jigsaw using a very fine metal cutting blade at slow reciprocating speeds, though it'll still likely melt itself back together right behind the blade. Having a few slivers of sheet metal to slip into the freshly cut groove can help alleviate that. Otherwise, just try to keep the cut slot open a bit until it cools.

4) rust on the frame gets touched up periodically. I'm more concerned about the rockers right now than the top frame truth be told.

5) lexan is the material of choice for replacing windows on race cars. NASCAR even uses it for windshields, but they do have those tear away layers to help protect it a bit. (plexi on the other hand is actually against the rules do to it's habit of shattering into large shards when impacted)

·
Registered
454 Posts
you have rust on your convertible top bracketry (a word?),
When I purchased my car from Germany and inquired about the hood, er, sorry: convertible top, we had to say "Diese Metallkonstrukt". So, trust me: "bracketry" (or anything else, for that matter) is fine.

and in need of resto work!! When are you gonna tackle this, huh?

Rust eats on itself (feeds on itself?). Cancer.
So the Metallkonstrukt was handed over separete from the car and its forward edge (that comes just over the windscreen) was rusted pretty bad. I removed the rust, painted the remaining surface to prevent further rusting and ended up with an edge resembling something from a JAWS movie. Jagged. Teeth all along, where the metal still remained, and huge gaping maws where the rust had been cleared. Back then knew next to nothing about the intricaties of a Spider top but obviously I couldn't place CLOTH over that razor, especially the part which takes up all the tension; it'd rip my top to shreds in about two seconds. And I certainly couldn't afford to buy a new Metallkonstrukt... er, bracketry (not that I knew how to take it apart, even if it's possible; I still don't know).
Therefore I took an old bike inside tyre, cut it down to size, folded it on the JAWS edge and put the cloth top over it. The rust is (theoritically) stopped from spreading, the cloth is protected (let the JAWS bite the rubber for all eternity) and the rubber is covered by the cloth, invisible.
(OK, so it's a cheap Easter European solution unworthy of a Spider. But I hid it so cleverly that NOBODY will EVER figure it out! MUHAHAHAHA!!! (diabolical laughter))

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Look Ma, No Bungees! Slightly Better Mouse Trap? (Or Wind Deflector)

So she became an ex-wife; I'm not surprised. Hearing Hungarian speech can be quite annoying (I know, I do it all the time) :)
Not exactly. She became a dead wife. Pat was widowed in 1978; his wife, Marie, died of cancer at age 42 after fighting it for some years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
"No Bungee" Questions

Thanks, Tifosi,

----after researching the whole thing in my Home Depot, I found that you are pretty close to perfect....... they had some aluminum bars, 1/8"x3/4"x4', and they even had zinc-coated (?steel or iron???) of the exact same dimensions as you stated, but the Home Depot guy (I actually found one) said that would be hard to bend.....so sure enough I found galvanized bars exactly as you stated by the fence department.

I am having a piece of Lexan made up to your exact dimensions.... Home Depot had Acrylic but not in the right thickness, so i went to my local glazier, who is going to cut it for me---- I don't think i could do a perfect cutting job-- I'm a checkbook mechanic with a little jigsaw at home. Sure enough, though, it's gonna cost me around $100 for the finished cut and rounded Lexan (1/4" thick.)

Some questions:

Aren't #6 machine screws gonna be too narrow to hold the pressure of wind on the Lexan? Also, what length screws did you use? I thought of adding lock washers, --do you think this is necessary?

Finally, I thought of putting some strips of metal UNDER the cardboard rear deck, so as to sandwich the deck between two pieces of metal, -does the cardboard rear deck ever deform under the wind pressure, or is it strong enough to hold wind pressure?

Thanks for your invaluable creation! (It's better than the $260 windscreen i bought from IAP, I could have saved a lot of money for a useless contraption.)

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Aren't #6 machine screws gonna be too narrow to hold the pressure of wind on the Lexan?
They've been fine for the last couple years on mine.

Also, what length screws did you use?
That's dependant on how thick the stack of parts is.

If nothing else, go a little long and you can cut them to length.

If you've got a set of wire strippers/crimpers, they usually hve a spot at the pivot point where you can screw in small screws or bolts and cut them without messing up the threads.

barring that, figure the length you need, run a nut down on it a ways, then cut to length with a hacksaw. Take the nut back off and it'll clean the threads as it's removed.

I thought of adding lock washers, --do you think this is necessary?
No, but the flat washers are, and a drop of locktite on the nuts is pretty well a must. (you could go with urolock nuts, but the extra thickness they have put me off)

The thought I had in mind was to keep it all as thin/low profile as possible.

I even considered using aluminum screw rivets at one point, but didn't want to deal with trying to finesse them so they fit just so.

Finally, I thought of putting some strips of metal UNDER the cardboard rear deck, so as to sandwich the deck between two pieces of metal, -does the cardboard rear deck ever deform under the wind pressure, or is it strong enough to hold wind pressure?
It's quite strong enough as is, (it's pressboard, not cardboard), though fender washers on the back side are needed to prevent the screws from pulling through.

No reason you couldn't go with a strip of metal instead.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Oooh, can't recall what size holes for the screws, but they were just big enough to let the screws pass through without binding.

No rubber under the steel washers. If the screwholes are small enough and the nuts tight enough there is no movement, thus no scratching.

Don't peel the protective 'skin' off that lexan til it's all said and done so no scratches get created during the work.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Look Ma, no bungees or holes!

Hello All,

Thought I would post my idea on this.

Firstly, I want to say that I love my windblocker (that what you call it?). Have used it for a few years now and would recommend it to anyone who wants to have a coversation with the passenger or listen to music or not have their hat blown off when driving.

I used the designs on the BB to build mine and held it in place using Velcro straps that went around the headrest posts.

Only problem with that method is that if the 2 seats are not aligned, neither will the windblocker. I tried to have the windblocker rest on the rear shelf, but it would often be pulled off and then the weight of it would hang on the velcro straps, making it less secure.

Lastly, being held against the headrests, at slow speeds, you would hear squeaking sounds as the windblocker would rub against them. For that, I had added pieces of felt (kind used on furniture feet so as not to scratch floors) in between. It worked, but I never liked the look.

I wanted to build a stand like Tifosi's but the S4 does not have those luggage strips and I didnt want to drill any holes in the rear parcel shelf.

So here is what I made. This shows the final assembly, unpainted.
Tire Trunk Vehicle Automotive tire Auto part

I used 3 pieces of flat, slotted steel, 6 nuts, 12 washers, 4 wingnuts and 2 regular nuts. I used my bench vise to help with the bending.

Instead of drilling new holes in the parcel shelf, I bent the steel so that it would wrap around the back of the shelf and I lifted the steel to put a nut through it (picture below) to hold the vertical support.

Here are some more pictures to give you an idea of what I did.

Wood Floor Flooring

Machine Plant Machine tool Circle

For the passenger side, the wrap around bend has to be shorter due to the ECU underneath. The drive side is about 2X that length.
Bumper Metal

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Shows wrap around shelf
Metal

Bolt without drilling shelf
Finger Hand Floor Thumb Nail

Vertical support
Metal

Assembly painted
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Trunk Auto part

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Side View
Car seat cover Car seat Motor vehicle Vehicle Car

Here is the rear view when the boot is on as well. I am happy with the way it turned out and functions.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior City car Auto part

Vin

·
Registered
222 Posts
Has anybody messed with creating a deflector out of a scrap top leading edge? My brother has an MGB and he fused a bit of plexiglass to the front edge of a spare ragtop. When he puts the top down, he pulls this contraption out and locks it in where the top would connect. It deflects the air up and over, so there's very little "wrap-around" to beat you in the back of your head. It fits neatly in the trunk when not in use. Actually, I hate to admit it, but it's very cool. (Don't tell my brother. Really. I can barely stand the whole MGB crap as it is)

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Has anybody messed with creating a deflector out of a scrap top leading edge? My brother has an MGB and he fused a bit of plexiglass to the front edge of a spare ragtop. When he puts the top down, he pulls this contraption out and locks it in where the top would connect. It deflects the air up and over, so there's very little "wrap-around" to beat you in the back of your head. It fits neatly in the trunk when not in use.
That sounds interesting.

Can you bite the bullet and ask him for a few pictures?

Vin

·
Registered
282 Posts
Has anyone done one of these that doesn't extend all the way down to the parcel shelf? The modern wind blockers I've seen (BMW, Mercedes for example) are just at the headrest level.

I'd hate to have my speakers blocked off so thoroughly, as well as losing access to anything stored behind the seats (water bottle, camera, jacket, etc.).

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.