Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Look Ma, No Bungees! Slightly Better Mouse Trap? (Or Wind Deflector)

So last year I built this wind screen but didn't have a camera to show what I was on about.

Now that I've got the camera, I can finally share :)

If you look at the pic with 'fixing bolts' texted into it, you'll see where I removed the two outermost luggage skids that go in the cargo area.

Using #6 machine screws, some flat washers, 4 nuts and 4 wing nuts and drilling only 2 holes (that will never show if the cargo rails are put back in) I made the mounting system.

The shield was made out of one of the hunks o' 1/8" plexiglass they sell at home depot, and was large enough to get 2 panels out of in the event I broke the first.

The support bars are those 1/2" x 1/8" x 4' galvanized flat bars they sell for use in chain link fences.

The seats, if straight up, can go to the rearmost setting on the rail, and if you come forward 1-2 notches, they can be almost fully reclined.

The top can go up and down without removing the shield, so having to take it out or tinker with it isn't a neccesity.

The whole shield will fit in the trunk of the car, and if laid with the little support feet pointing up, will take up literally 0 trunk space. (of course there's a better chance of scratching the plexi if it's put in that way, but if you needed to stuff the trunk, you could)

BTW, the red vinyl on the lower 1/2 was something I had laying about that more or less matched my carpet and dash color, so I put that on as a 'lower level' deflector to stop air from coming in down low between the seats. It can be slipped right off with no problem.

As to effectivness, my wife can vouch for that.

Prior to this things creation, it was a 15 minute stop outside wherever our destination was so she could get her hair back in shape.

Post creation and install, the hair fix takes less time than what you spend at a short red light.

Net cost of the whole project: around $40

Net worth: priceless
I'm not sure I like the overall look as a permanent installation, but I can certainly vouch for your ingenuity and solving the problem when needed. I rode from Orange County to Monterrey in a spider convertible, not only did I get the ride of my life, but sunburned to a degree that wasn't comfortable and it took me 2 hours to comb the snarls out of my hair; and my hair isn't that long. The same thing pretty much repeated for the 5 days we were gone; I suppose I could have done nothing and settled for the windblown look. Before you ask if I've ever heard of a scarf, not my style, the same for the glasses that go with it. ;)

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

Do you mean these bugs?
(It's the hood's front edge, now folded on the morning following an hour's drive in the night with the hood up, photographed in the act of surprising me and causing my girlfriend to wonder if she'll EVER feel the same way about taking a breath at night in the open.)
This post took me a minute to figure out....because I'm so locally focused and we call the hood, what Brit's call the bonnet, so I was not looking for bugs on a convertible top and had trouble figuring out what I was looking at, at first. The origin of the post solved the problem for me. Pat's first wife was of Hungarian descent and she spoke Hungarian with her parents and a little with Pat.

Where I live, even though the smog is much improved from when I was child, breathing deeply isn't healthy for reasons other than bugs; I suppose less deadly than smoking but equal to inhaling second hand smoke.

Is acrylic o.k., they also had Lexan (more $$$)???
As I recall, Lexan is subject to pitting and scratching easily, the reason Pat did not use it for replacement windows even for track use. Providing I'm correct, it would be a consideration as to how much might get thrown up against it that would cause marring.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

So she became an ex-wife; I'm not surprised. Hearing Hungarian speech can be quite annoying (I know, I do it all the time) :)
Not exactly. She became a dead wife. Pat was widowed in 1978; his wife, Marie, died of cancer at age 42 after fighting it for some years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.