Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I built this wind screen but didn't have a camera to show what I was on about.

Now that I've got the camera, I can finally share :)

If you look at the pic with 'fixing bolts' texted into it, you'll see where I removed the two outermost luggage skids that go in the cargo area.

Using #6 machine screws, some flat washers, 4 nuts and 4 wing nuts and drilling only 2 holes (that will never show if the cargo rails are put back in) I made the mounting system.

The shield was made out of one of the hunks o' 1/8" plexiglass they sell at home depot, and was large enough to get 2 panels out of in the event I broke the first.

The support bars are those 1/2" x 1/8" x 4' galvanized flat bars they sell for use in chain link fences.

The seats, if straight up, can go to the rearmost setting on the rail, and if you come forward 1-2 notches, they can be almost fully reclined.

The top can go up and down without removing the shield, so having to take it out or tinker with it isn't a neccesity.

The whole shield will fit in the trunk of the car, and if laid with the little support feet pointing up, will take up literally 0 trunk space. (of course there's a better chance of scratching the plexi if it's put in that way, but if you needed to stuff the trunk, you could)

BTW, the red vinyl on the lower 1/2 was something I had laying about that more or less matched my carpet and dash color, so I put that on as a 'lower level' deflector to stop air from coming in down low between the seats. It can be slipped right off with no problem.

As to effectivness, my wife can vouch for that.

Prior to this things creation, it was a 15 minute stop outside wherever our destination was so she could get her hair back in shape.

Post creation and install, the hair fix takes less time than what you spend at a short red light.

Net cost of the whole project: around $40

Net worth: priceless

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Look Ma, No Bungees! Slightly Better Mouse Trap? (Or Wind Deflector)

So last year I built this wind screen but didn't have a camera to show what I was on about.

Now that I've got the camera, I can finally share :)

If you look at the pic with 'fixing bolts' texted into it, you'll see where I removed the two outermost luggage skids that go in the cargo area.

Using #6 machine screws, some flat washers, 4 nuts and 4 wing nuts and drilling only 2 holes (that will never show if the cargo rails are put back in) I made the mounting system.

The shield was made out of one of the hunks o' 1/8" plexiglass they sell at home depot, and was large enough to get 2 panels out of in the event I broke the first.

The support bars are those 1/2" x 1/8" x 4' galvanized flat bars they sell for use in chain link fences.

The seats, if straight up, can go to the rearmost setting on the rail, and if you come forward 1-2 notches, they can be almost fully reclined.

The top can go up and down without removing the shield, so having to take it out or tinker with it isn't a neccesity.

The whole shield will fit in the trunk of the car, and if laid with the little support feet pointing up, will take up literally 0 trunk space. (of course there's a better chance of scratching the plexi if it's put in that way, but if you needed to stuff the trunk, you could)

BTW, the red vinyl on the lower 1/2 was something I had laying about that more or less matched my carpet and dash color, so I put that on as a 'lower level' deflector to stop air from coming in down low between the seats. It can be slipped right off with no problem.

As to effectivness, my wife can vouch for that.

Prior to this things creation, it was a 15 minute stop outside wherever our destination was so she could get her hair back in shape.

Post creation and install, the hair fix takes less time than what you spend at a short red light.

Net cost of the whole project: around $40

Net worth: priceless
I'm not sure I like the overall look as a permanent installation, but I can certainly vouch for your ingenuity and solving the problem when needed. I rode from Orange County to Monterrey in a spider convertible, not only did I get the ride of my life, but sunburned to a degree that wasn't comfortable and it took me 2 hours to comb the snarls out of my hair; and my hair isn't that long. The same thing pretty much repeated for the 5 days we were gone; I suppose I could have done nothing and settled for the windblown look. Before you ask if I've ever heard of a scarf, not my style, the same for the glasses that go with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like a good solution to the wind blown look. I just wear a hat but I do get hat hair by doing that.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the spiffy part of it: the shield can be installed or removed in less than 3 minutes as it's held down onto the panel with wing nuts. ;) (the only thing left behind are the machine screws like what's shown in the 2nd pic)

I never worried about my hair, but the wife was having kniptions over it so something had to be done. (I didn't like the bungee solution, and no way was I going to pay over $200 for something that would just block my seat movement and make me cut up a perfectly good boot cover to just to use it)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Very nice. Too bad it won't work on my '71. I made a modified version last year that uses spring-loaded J-hooks to attach to the headrest uprights. Didn't work quite like I planned, but it's more the execution than the concept that was at fault.

FWIW, the wind blocker won't prevent your hair from getting messed up, it just lessens the degree. There's still plenty of breeze, but you can talk a bit easier and you might not lose your hat at highway speeds.

I cut off my ponytail late last year because my hair was getting thin enough on top that it started looking a bit silly. While I kind of miss it, I certainly don't miss the wind knots I got if I didn't tuck all my hair up inside a hat. The wind blocker helped that somewhat. It'll never make you forget you're in a convertible, though.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
re: going bald:

Been doing it for years myself actually
Those that go bald in front are the great thinkers.
Those that go bald in back are the great lovers.

Those that go bald all over think they're great lovers... :p

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
See if this brings it for ya Paul. (it should print out on a 8 1/2 x 11 if you rotate it 90 degrees)

As to the cargo panel holes, you kinda have to build the thing first to get them just right.

Remove the outermost scrub strips from the panel, come up through the bottom of the frontmost scrub strip mount holes with a #6 screw through broad washer (fender washer would be ideal) then through the panel, then a regular flat washer and nut to anchor it.

With the panel still off, and using the holes furthest out on the arms/uprights on those two screws, wing nut it in place, drill for the second set of holes and repeate the screw-washer-washer-nut as done in the front holes.

When it's done and installed, the headrests on the seats will brush up against the plexi just above the centerpoint between the upper and lower screws through the plexi proper.

Putting the top up and down can be done with the panel in place, though occasionally it'll 'just' rub the frame as it goes by so you may need to reach under there and give the panel a tug forward til the top clears.

The upright bars are strong enough to hold things in place, but just flexible enough where if someone moves a seat it'll give a bit instead of limiting travel.

LOL

Just noticed I didn't put the size drill for the holes in the support bars.

Those would all be 3/16" or 1/4", your druthers.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FWIW, the wind blocker won't prevent your hair from getting messed up, it just lessens the degree. There's still plenty of breeze, but you can talk a bit easier and you might not lose your hat at highway speeds.
Just to drop a late note on that:

With the above panel, windows rolled up, wing windows turned out, I can go 65-70 down the road and have no concern about my *hat coming off unless it's a particularly windy day. 55 is pie, and all bets are off over 75mph. (with the vinyl sub panel on, you can even smoke and not worry about ash flying everywhere but in the ashtray)

I suppose I 'could' talk to my wife too, if I thought she actually wanted to hear what I had to say......

* I've got a pointy head too, which as we all know does very little to keep a hat on in a breeze.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice job

When I built mine I ran some "U" shaped molding around the edge to give it a more finished look. McMaster Carr has it for about $10.00. Then it got cold and the plexiglass cracked all to hell and I threw the whole mess away.:( It worked like a dream before it broke!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mabe lexan instead of plexi in the colder climates might be viable then.

I used lexan (1/8") as a storm door window with no ill effect down to at least 40 below zero F and it's been the same piece in the same door year round for going on 10 years now.

I just went with the plexi because I could get 2 out of the piece for less than half the price of what would have amounted to 1 in lexan. (ie: I'm a cheap bastard)

I like the idea of the moulding, but the way I sit, I can see the top edge of the deflector right about dead center up to down in my center rearview. Having a literal 'line' running across there might be an annoyance in my case, or worse yet, a potential blindspot. (bifocal mirror LOL)

Still, for a finished look, I can imagine it would have a nice effect.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, as another 'noticed too late' moment from the cargo panel part of the install:

Using the holes furthest out on the arms/uprights on those two screws, wing nut it in place, drill for the second set of holes and repeate the screw-washer-washer-nut as done in the front holes.
Yeah, you're probably going to want to drill the second set of holes with the panel off, unless you're big on potentially boring a hole through the ECU or one of the relays.....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts