Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lusted for Alfas since the 50's and am off to pick up my first, a 89 Graduate with 138K miles, which I got at auction, thought I'd reward myself on Veterans Day!! LOL (NO rust and not eaten-up by the AZ sun!!! Starts and moves at least 2 feet forward and back)!!!!! Talk about a crazy buy!!! So here's my first Alfa forum post!!! History is unknown so first thing I'll do is change the oil. Being a RV guy, one of the tricks of RVing is to hang as big (meaning long) a filter as possible off the big block!!!! Thinking this might be good for the Spider??? Any one already done this??? I realize I'll be limited by the air box on the Alfa, but reading some forum threads there's mention of long vs short filters. So what's the filter # of the long filters?. Thanks in Advance..Paul

·
Premium Member
21,691 Posts
One thing to worry about with a long filter is vibration and resulting tendency to come loose. I think if you go with a quality filter and change it every 3000 miles, the amount of filter media inside, and thus the length, isn't going to make a big difference. I use the Baldwin filters Centerline sells, never had a problem.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
PH8A or equivalent. I use a PH16 PH43 also.

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
Welcome.

I'd agree that a good filter changed regularly (in addition to the oil of course) will be all it needs. I change oil (Rotella 15w-40) & filter (Wix or Purolator) every 5,000 miles.

Now, that said, we do have some unwritten rules here. The main one being about photos. You have to post some. We like photos. If there is a pretty female in the photo even better...

·
Registered
447 Posts
About as long a filter that I've had any personal experience with is a Purolator L30001- about 5-1/8" long IIRC. Not too big in diameter which can be a problem if your alternator is adjusted to it's farthest extent, at least on my car. A well constructed filter, has anti drain back valve, and the price is right- $3.77 @ mall wart. FWIW...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,505 Posts
You don't neccesarily need to go longer but there are plenty of wider filters that will fit and give you some more filter area. Centerline sells the Baldwin 233 as their standard filter, and it's the same size as the Mobil1 M1-204 or the Purolator L14670 or PL14670.

Personally I use the Purolator PureOne PL14670: it's a good filter and you can get it for $7 at Amazon. I avoid the Fram filters as they're generally junk.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Going remote can allow for dual filters. Plus it's easier to replace. Question is where to hang the filter(s) - only if to move the battery to the trunk? Another question is - are dual filters really a necessity for regular street use especially if changing oil at regular intervals...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Seven quarts of a good quality 20-50 motor oil and high quality filter like a Mobil 1 is all you need for street use. A big oil filter is just a head ache to snake up though to the top leaving a huge oil mess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts