Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wheels I'm considering have thicker center sections so I may need longer wheel studs. Has anyone found a good source?

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Alfa went to the longer studs in 72 or 73 when they started using the steel wheels with the sombrero caps.

So yours should have them.

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
Alfa also lengthened the studs when they started using cast, "Turbina" wheels instead of steel wheels. Again, this happened in the '72 timeframe.

One source of Alfa-compatible studs is Serpent Autosports. See: SERPENT AUTOSPORT Accessories Scroll about halfway down the page and look for "spline wheel studs". I don't know if their 70 mm length is longer than stock on a post '71 Alfa.

·
Premium Member
5,778 Posts
Alfa also lengthened the studs when they started using cast, "Turbina" wheels instead of steel wheels. Again, this happened in the '72 timeframe.

One source of Alfa-compatible studs is Serpent Autosports. See: SERPENT AUTOSPORT Accessories Scroll about halfway down the page and look for "spline wheel studs". I don't know if their 70 mm length is longer than stock on a post '71 Alfa.
Thats why the sombrero cap wheels have such long lug nuts. So Alfa only had one stud for all the rims. The different rims use different nuts. But all use the same studs.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'll second Charlie DiMarco at Serpent Autosports. Good guy, good quality selection.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent source, thanks for the reminder. SERPENT AUTOSPORT has expanded their offerings since I last visited their site some years ago.

The custom built wheels I finally ordered don't have a thick center section, so I may not need the longer studs but have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery for final determination.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
George, if you do determine that you need longer studs send me a message. I found some aftermarket studs for Hondas that have the right knurl. I might have to search for a little bit, but I’m sure I can find the source if you need it!

·
Super Moderator
11,660 Posts
The custom built wheels I finally ordered don't have a thick center section, so I may not need the longer studs but have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery for final determination.
We would know a lot more if you told us the year and model Alfa you are working on. I'm most familiar with the 105/115 series. In those cars, anything built in the 2 liter era has pretty long studs (again, to accommodate the cast turbina wheels). 105's built in the 1300/1600/1750 era had shorter studs, with LH threads on the LH side, to accommodate steel wheels. So if your's is a 2 liter, you'll probably be OK.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should have offered more details with my original question, so here goes: The car in question is a 1976 Spider modified for SCCA Autocross competition in class F-Street Prepared. I have 8 15x9 Centerline "Autodrag" wheels, and 3 of these are cracked or broken outside of the outer circumference of the bolt circle. Centerline is no longer in business and 15 x 9 wheels with a 4 x 108 mm bolt circle and 0 offset are hard to find, but I came across Keizer Wheels and their Kosmo style wheels that have a thick forged center section that may requires longer wheel studs. After further discussion with Keizer, I ordered 4 of their 15x10 A1 style wheels with thinner thickness at the bolt circle. Lead time is 6-8 weeks for these custom built wheels, at which time I will know if I need to buy the longer wheel studs offered by Serpent Motorsport.

The wheel width/offset/backspace is a compromise to accommodate Hoosier A7 275/35x15 tires, modified fender openings, tire interference, and rear-mounted front sway bar attachment links. 0 offset and 4.5 in. backspace on the 9 in. rim places the inner rim edge at the same place as a stock wheel. I currently use 1/2 in. spacers at the rear in order to use the same wheel/tire at all four corners, and this spacer use is what might require the longer wheel studs - even with the change to a different Keizer wheel.

I can't complain about the wheel failures; I have used them for over 30 years with R Compound tires grippy enough to have broken the panhard bar support structure 3 times.

For the curious: Formula & Sports car racing wheels | Racing Wheels | Keizer Aluminum Wheels

We would know a lot more if you told us the year and model Alfa you are working on. I'm most familiar with the 105/115 series. In those cars, anything built in the 2 liter era has pretty long studs (again, to accommodate the cast turbina wheels). 105's built in the 1300/1600/1750 era had shorter studs, with LH threads on the LH side, to accommodate steel wheels. So if your's is a 2 liter, you'll probably be OK.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
64 Posts
I should have offered more details with my original question, so here goes: The car in question is a 1976 Spider modified for SCCA Autocross competition in class F-Street Prepared. I have 8 15x9 Centerline "Autodrag" wheels, and 3 of these are cracked or broken outside of the outer circumference of the bolt circle. Centerline is no longer in business and 15 x 9 wheels with a 4 x 108 mm bolt circle and 0 offset are hard to find, but I came across Keizer Wheels and their Kosmo style wheels that have a thick forged center section that may requires longer wheel studs. After further discussion with Keizer, I ordered 4 of their 15x10 A1 style wheels with thinner thickness at the bolt circle. Lead time is 6-8 weeks for these custom built wheels, at which time I will know if I need to buy the longer wheel studs offered by Serpent Motorsport.

The wheel width/offset/backspace is a compromise to accommodate Hoosier A7 275/35x15 tires, modified fender openings, tire interference, and rear-mounted front sway bar attachment links. 0 offset and 4.5 in. backspace on the 9 in. rim places the inner rim edge at the same place as a stock wheel. I currently use 1/2 in. spacers at the rear in order to use the same wheel/tire at all four corners, and this spacer use is what might require the longer wheel studs - even with the change to a different Keizer wheel.

I can't complain about the wheel failures; I have used them for over 30 years with R Compound tires grippy enough to have broken the panhard bar support structure 3 times.

For the curious: Formula & Sports car racing wheels | Racing Wheels | Keizer Aluminum Wheels

·
Registered
64 Posts
I replaced mine with studs from ARP.Listed for a Honda they are 2 3/4 overall length with2” of threads. Part # 100-7712

1 - 11 of 11 Posts