Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Don't part that car out! 'Round here that's rust free. I do like the patina. Ship it to Michigan!!

Regarding the sure shot: That is interesting about the spring. I have been grousing for years about the TA but I have to admit, I can't think of a better mousetrap. I was going to get a sure shot (or make one). then I thought an electrical solenoid with a thermal switch but then you would need it on (extended) all the time and what if it failed, woudl it be any cheaper, etc, etc. I thought the heck with it and left my dummy TA in the SPICA. Even in the warm Michigan summer, it still was a bear to start. I finally returned the TA to it's rightful spot. It is amazing how well a properly set up SPICA with a functioning TA works. My '73 fires up on half a crank and settles into a nice 700 RPM idle almost immediately. Its finally getting cold around here and it still starts - I can't imagine how tough it would be if I still had the dummy installed.

I have grudgingly become a fan of the TA (just not the cost of a TA).

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
My experience exactly. My '71 GTV was stored for 20 years. I had it running in a half a day. I called the PO and asked what he did to preserve it - "uh, turned the motor off and put a car cover over it...". Same thing happened to my '74 GTV parts car. The motor was reportedly stoved and sat for 5 years. I poured some MMO in the cylinders and let it sit for a couple days. Swapped in a working starter, sprayed some starter fluid in the Webers and it fired up. It is currently tearing up the drivetrain on my '69 Spider while I rebuild the 1750.

And 8 years ago I picked up my '69 cheap because the PO thought the head was cracked - turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. Ran great until I decided to try running it without oil (hence the rebuild)...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.