Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us are using locktite (red or blue) on rod bolts, flywheel bolts, ... when assembling our Alfa motors?

I do not hear of these fasteners loosening often, so is there a need?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I do not hear of these fasteners loosening often
Risk is probable frequency x consequence. The consequence of the flywheel coming off at speed could be very bad so I would always use Loctite on those bolts. One failure is too many.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Our cars were mostly assembled without Locktite, using metal tabs and oval nuts (in a few cases), or lock washers for bolts or nuts that are disassembled occasionally (like the oil pan). But these fasteners loose some of their reliability if reused, and replacements are getting hard to find. I use a dab of the reusable Locktite along with the lock washers or tabs because of the growing chance of failure. The blue is easy to remove, while red Locktite often requires a bit of heat to loosen.

Robert

·
Registered
57 Posts
I lost a brake caliper bolt while doing about 25 mph and the other grade 8 bolt snapped thus releasing the caliper which wedged it self in the wheel and locking the wheel. If I had been doing 80 mph I imagine that the car would have spun, flipped or rolled. I now have the 4oz. size of all locktite products. My ARP rod bolts instructions say to torque the bolts using the lube that they provide but I will be using the locktite red. This stuff works so why not use it? DC

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I too use Loctite but I was told by an experienced race engine builder NOT to use it on rod bolts. I don't know why but I trust him.

·
Super Moderator
11,587 Posts
But... you changed the topic! The basic 2 are the silver, and gold. I use the silver on about everything Alfa or Ferrari. Used the gold on an old Hemi Plymouth. Maybe my reasons were that the silver went with aluminum, and gold with iron? I donotknow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts