Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent posts here, and people replying to my post selling parts, got me to dig out the caps I have from log gone cars. I have 1 cap w/ lock, that is in bad shape. 1 cap w/o lock that is in great shape. My question is... anyone know how to remove the lock core from the damaged cap, and install it in the good cap. I've spent several hours trying to figure it out, and would appreciate any suggestions! If you have pics along w/ a suggestion... even better! Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Terry,

I found myself with just the cover of the lock-cap in my hand and the core remaining in the car when trying to re-fuel once last summer.

It's a really simple design with a small plastic ring glued to the inside edge of the plastic cap cover holding the core to the cap. Inside the core are "splines" where taps from the lock mechanism fits allowing unscrewing of the core. Just be careful not to damage the plastic ring when dismantling the assy.

I hope this helped you on the way.

Best regards from Sweden
Martin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin, thank you for the reply! I got the lock core out of the damaged cap, causing only a little more damage, but can not get the plastic ring off of the good cap. I am very unwilling to break it. Any suggestions for tools that might work? Thanks, Terry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi again Terry,

I'm sorry but I never had to do that operation. My problem was the opposite, actually, with the ring coming loose "spontaneuosly" having to make sure it stayed where I want it... ;)

Could it be that you use some kind of angled plier or the kind of tool you use to remove o-rings?

Good luck!

brgds
Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts