Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made up some wooden wedges
and have most of trim panel lifted about an eigth away from the adjacent hard vinyl (round in section) piece next to the soft rubber seal. I've undone the bolt that holds the upper guide to the belt itself, but didnt pull the bolt at the floor. That lower bolt doesn't per chance pin a "strap"
that holds the reel, and in turn the whole trim piece ? I didn't consider that until after I quit tonight, but would be surprised.
I tried squeezing the panel in, and expanding it to see if I could get it to release, but it's got me scratching my head . Don't want to muscle it, even tho it's a parts car. IDEAS ??

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I think the 164 has pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners located in the retractor reel. If so you want to be wary of poking around blind into the area where the retractor /inertia reel is. Maybe disconnect the battery before you do.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the 164 has pyrotechnic seatbelt tensioners located in the retractor reel. If so you want to be wary of poking around blind into the area where the retractor /inertia reel is. Maybe disconnect the battery before you do.
I still have my fingers and thumbs, but might not have had them later without your warning. Thanks. The manual mentioned the battery, but I forgot about arrogance. I'll remind myself that the manual knows way more than I do.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
What are you two talking about? There aren't any pyros in 164 seat belt retractors.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
What position seat belt are you working on and what is the problem?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What position seat belt are you working on and what is the problem?
Passenger side on parts car to learn how to pull interior trim piece between front and rear doors off without breaking it.
Drivers seat belt on my white 164S is locked up and I don't want to foul up the interior of that car if I can help it.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Easy Peasy 1. First just pull off the square slide cover for up/down adjustment at top of seat belt in B pillar with your hand.
2. Open both doors and peel down rubber door opening seals from rear of front door opening and front of rear door opening.
3. Move passenger seat forward enough to access lower 17mm hex head bolt for lower seat belt attachment. Remove bolt after popping off plastic cap on bolt head. This will give you free play in seat belt.
4. Now you can remove vinyl B pillar trim piece and that will expose seat belt mechanism.
5. I would try to free up seat belt mechanism by playing with color coded pendulum and brass weight in bottom of reel while pulling and releasing tension on belt.
6. If you have to remove entire belt and reel assembly there is a upper roller pin with circlips on it you have to remove to get belt free from B pillar.
7.. There is another 17mm hex head bolt holding the reel assembly to B pillar. Then you can remove reel from car.
8. there are some delicate white nylon ratcheting cogs and gear serrations that may need cleaning and lubing to get reel to work.
9. Good luck. Hopefully you don't have wear in the metal bushings.

Some more info: Front Seat Belts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easy Peasy 1. First just pull off the square slide cover for up/down adjustment at top of seat belt in B pillar with your hand.
2. Open both doors and peel down rubber door opening seals from rear of front door opening and front of rear door opening.
3. Move passenger seat forward enough to access lower 17mm hex head bolt for lower seat belt attachment. Remove bolt after popping off plastic cap on bolt head. This will give you free play in seat belt.
4. Now you can remove vinyl B pillar trim piece and that will expose seat belt mechanism.
5. I would try to free up seat belt mechanism by playing with color coded pendulum and brass weight in bottom of reel while pulling and releasing tension on belt.
6. If you have to remove entire belt and reel assembly there is a upper roller pin with circlips on it you have to remove to get belt free from B pillar.
7.. There is another 17mm hex head bolt holding the reel assembly to B pillar. Then you can remove reel from car.
8. there are some delicate white nylon ratcheting cogs and gear serrations that may need cleaning and lubing to get reel to work.
9. Good luck. Hopefully you don't have wear in the metal bushings.

Some more info: Front Seat Belts
Think I was previously impressed with your encyclopedic knowledge and memory, and mentioned it, to which you responded something like you weren't sure what day it was.
That was beyond humongous
humility, nothing but pure BS !
Thanks ain't enough, but it's
all I got.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Sent you email to your gmail with listing for new seat belt.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Must be one of the few cars of that era without them. It's very important to know for sure about this component before you dig around down by the inertia reel.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent you email to your gmail with listing for new seat belt.
Thanks. It's certainly nice to have experienced advise. Not done with job, but easy progress,
Must be one of the few cars of that era without them. It's very important to know for sure about this component before you dig around down by the inertia reel.
I appreciate your caution. But got the cover off, and it looks like clear sailing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts