Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just locked myself out of my Giulia Sprint (1963, 101 series). Doh.

Having already locked the driver's door from inside, I pushed the inside door handle backwards on the passenger door, then shut it. Result, appears to be deadlocked as key will turn in lock but button can't be pressed. Unsure if that's by design or a fault.

In the morning when it's light I'll try prying back the window and insert some kind of rod and see if I can reach the door handle and knock it forward to unlock. But grateful for any tips meanwhile.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Several years ago, when our Alfa club was on a driving tour, one of the members managed to lock his keys in his Giulietta Sprint or perhaps he did what you have done. We all had great fun taking turns with a bent a coat hanger, fishing it between the window and frame and trying to manipulate the handle. Eventually the door was opened.

The point is that your plan to wait until it's light, try prying back the window and insert some kind of rod and see if I can reach the door handle and knock it forward to unlock" will probably work. Though my recollection is that we fashioned a hook at the end of the wire so we could pull, rather than push, the handle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Several years ago, our Alfa club went on a tour. One of the members who was driving a Giulietta Sprint managed to lock his keys in the car or else do what you have done. We all had great fun bending up a coat hanger, fishing it between the window and frame and taking turns trying to manipulate the handle. Eventually the door was opened.

The point is that your plan to wait until it's light, try prying back the window and insert some kind of rod and see if I can reach the door handle and knock it forward to unlock" will probably work. Though my recollection is that we were pulling, rather than pushing, the handle.
Thanks. My car does indeed have handles that open by being pushed forwards, and lock by being pulled back.

I stupidly assumed it would be like on some old British cars where you could lock it using the handle and shut the door, but then be able to unlock using the key. It never occurred to me that you could be locked out with the keys in your hand! I'm still wondering if the door button should release the lock but don't want to whack it too hard. Maybe I'll give it a tap with a block of wood and see if anything gives.

But failing that I'll need to find some kind of rod thin enough to slip behind the window but that'll be able to push the handle forward with enough force. And I'll need to start the day with a can-do attitude!

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
My car does indeed have handles that open by being pushed forwards, and lock by being pulled back.
My friend's car may have been that way too. I think we were coming in just behind the windshield post, trying to get our hook around the handle to pull it forward. One challenge was that it was hard for the person with the wire to see what he/she was doing; it took a "watcher" on one side to coach the "puller" with the wire, on the other side. Sort of fun when it isn't your car!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don’t have a Sprint, but I’ve had other 60s car window regulators greased up so well that I was able to slowly work the side windows up and down enough to loosen it by pressing down with both hands (with rubber gloves for a good grip) to then spin the inside window winder a bit...at least enough to get a thicker wire in for better strength on the door handle. Less chance of damage that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it. The side window top rear corner eased back enough and I managed to find myself a long thin metal rod, with a little piece of blutac on the end to push the door handle forward. As usual, once you have the right tool, job done!

Thanks both. Here she is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts