Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I should know better and steer clear from our local auto parts stores, as I always leave upset. Yesterday was a beautiful day, I took the Spider out for a little spin and happened to drive past a PepBoys store. I remembered that I still want to install a starter relay and headlight relays, and that would make a nice little Sunday afternoon project. So I thought I'd pop in and try and get some generic relays.

Guy behind the counter: year/make and model please?
Me: I need some generic relays for starter and headlights, my car is a 67 Alfa Romeo, you won't find a relay for that in your system, because it did not come with one.
Customer next to me: a 67? yes it did....
Me: no it didn't
Customer next to me: what make?
Me: Alfa Romeo
Customer next to me: I work on cars all the time, and trust me, they came with a starter relay. You need to go to this place (gives directions to a place that can't even spell Alpha Romero). You can't put 'Merican stuff in year car or it'll catch fire, I've seen it happen
Me to Sales clerk: so I guess you can't help me?
Guy behind the counter: No

Oh well....I guess that settles it. I'll only go back there if I decide to put blue neon lights under my Duetto, or want these pretty fake chromed plastic air inlets for my GTV

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Pep Boys suck. Their rebates are scams - you hafta call 3x to get your money. Now, I only go in there if I'm really desperate. I'd sooner go to Wal Mart - does that sorta put it in perspective.

ps. they WERE good when they first opened operations here (Long Island)

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
I steer away from any "Big Box" national chain like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc. unless I need oil, bulbs, or car wax/soap. Fortunately the city I live in has about four or five local independents, plus, a fairly large regional chain called VIP who take an interest in my needs, no matter how small.

Stick with the local independents. They know that the only thing they have to compete with the big chains is service.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
My Brother-in-law went to Pep Boyz (the boyz because if you want ghetto stuf for your ride they have it!) to get some el-cheapo tires for his jeep. They were advertised for 71.00 apiece. They have the four for three deal with rebate. They would not sell him the tires unless they mounted them. The charges to mount the tires was $9.00 per. To balance them was $14.00 per tire. Valve stems were almost $5.00 per tire. Oh... $2.50 per tire for disposal. That adds up to about $122.00 in extras for four tires!! I think that there should be some people going to jail for stuff like this.
The biggest problem is that idiots go to these places and will pay what they ask without blinking an eye thinking that they got a good deal.

Paul

Needless to say he didn't buy them. I got him some cheapo a/t tires from one of our distributors for 45.00 apeice.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had two '76 912E Porsches that I installed GM starter relays from Kragen. They worked great! You can't just plop any part on any car, but why do it unless it is a high compression engine. A new starter/wiring would be better IMHO...

·
Registered
7,166 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah.. They are probably having neon put on their Jetta or Camaro:D

Paul

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
when you own "arcane" rigs you learn to be able to go anywhere and ask for what you want not what you need it for......

try asking for parts for a 58 lloyd...the company died in 1961/62.......as for alfa parts autozone cars some stuff actualy about as much as any other place its just "limited" and you cant expect the chimps behind the counter to know the diferance between a lug nut and a spark plug

find a parts house you like and stick with it...it pays to be good friends with someone behind the counter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts