Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....36k one owner miles, records, red/gray with a hard top and pretty much original. Had to stop and look and I'd rate it as kind of like my 84...no rust, nothing too out of place but certainly not concourse. Had the same evidence of a brake M/C leak that mine has. Head bolts had surface rust , hmm.

Only asking $17.9K. No, really. They even offered to show me the book!

I offered $4500 and they questioned my manhood. I later disclosed my car as a reference point and said I'd take half of their asking price for mine all day.

No joy.

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
for 17.9 k you can buy 3-4 really nice 1984-1985 spiders :):)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Panama City, FL.
Local indy lot...nothing high line but I've stopped there before for other interesting cars. I've never done business with them. I really don't think they know what they have.

Don't get me wrong, the car looks pretty good and has no glaring faults, just not even close to showroom.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
if it was concourse it would be worth it, but it isn't.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Way over priced. I bought my 88 Quad with hardtop for $5000.00 in Atlanta and drove it home to Naples that day. (750 miles) They're out there for everywhere for under $7k.

Larry

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well, $17.9k, in this economy is totally unrealistic... After 24 years, low mileage can be good or bad, depending on how the car was maintained, or not. If the asking price is 2007 would have been what the dealer wants for it, today it would be more like $8.9k. Regardless, a concours example is a lot more than $17.9k, and those examples don't ever end up in a used car lot.

Best regards,

·
Registered
403 Posts
....36k one owner miles, records, red/gray with a hard top and pretty much original. Had to stop and look and I'd rate it as kind of like my 84...no rust, nothing too out of place but certainly not concourse. Had the same evidence of a brake M/C leak that mine has. Head bolts had surface rust , hmm.

Only asking $17.9K. No, really. They even offered to show me the book!

I offered $4500
No joy.
Don't be mad, the dealer's only trying to raise the values of our cars!

I always wonder where people like this find the cars they're selling. I mean, did someone just buy the thing on Craigslist for $5k and then expect to be able to sell it for more than three times the initial investment? If it was a trade-in or purchased at some shady dealer it probably cost them even less. I just don't understand how people have the nerve to tack such huge mark-ups onto the cars on their lot.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer stated that he had lots of receipts for work performed on the car. I said, 'Of course you do, its an Alfa".

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...I just don't understand how people have the nerve to tack such huge mark-ups onto the cars on their lot.
In 2007, that asking price would have been on the high side, but not outrageous... Hence, he may be looking at out-dated prices. The fact that prices fell considerably doesn't mean that after the carnage is over, people are not going to start asking more $$ for their cars. We've seen this before in the car world. Now is the time to buy because the asking prices are way lower than 3 years ago, but sooner or later there will be less motivated sellers, and prices will be going back up again.

Best regards,

·
Registered
403 Posts
In 2007, that asking price would have been on the high side, but not outrageous... Hence, he may be looking at out-dated prices. The fact that prices fell considerably doesn't mean that after the carnage is over, people are not going to start asking more $$ for their cars. We've seen this before in the car world. Now is the time to buy because the asking prices are way lower than 3 years ago, but sooner or later there will be less motivated sellers, and prices will be going back up again.
Hi Enrique,

I agree with all of your comments, and I honestly wouldn't be offended (or even particularly surprised) if a private seller who had owned his/her Spider for years, knew it well, and had dumped time, heart, and money into keeping it alive set a similar price on his/her car.

Since this is a dealer, though, I was simply reflecting that, given the fact that the car likely cost very little to obtain, it seems bold and almost rude that someone is trying to flip the car for such a huge profit, without doing anything to justify the price increase. If the dealer knows the car very well or has performed extensive work, then my complaints could be completely unjustified. From the looks of it, though, this poor Quad is just an average Alfa with a greedy seller.

Evan

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is like talk radio- a bunch of people giving their opinion. So here's mine:
If the car is overpriced it won't sell. You can ask for whatever you want, it could be $175,000, and everyone can just laugh.

However- the blue book price might be $17K, and that might be what a credit union /bank would loan you for the car. Will it sell for that amount? According to all the experts here- no!

Maybe you can buy the same car on this BB for $4500? From what I've seen, these cars don't sell unless they're CHEAP and the buyer thinks he/she is getting a killer deal.

When my car dies on the side of the road, someone will get a really cheap 1986 Spider for the price of towing. So it depends where it dies. And I drive my car everyday. That's what I bought it for. I knew it was most likely not going to be a collector car, just as I never thought my 1966 Chevelle and 1967 Nova would be worth almost $10K.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Easy there Duke58. Not sure if you realize it or not but seeking and expressing opinions on a blog is all about what everyone thinks. Talk radio not withstanding.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Opinion

That's right, 5piderman- my opinion just like yours... and I'm not raving mad like some talk radio hosts.

Rush Limbaugh was commenting/advising Michelle Obama on her weight and figure. That's what this thread is like- lard a$$, hillbilly heroin addicted Rush has as much credibility giving advice about the First Lady's appearance as much as he does telling someone how much their Alfa Romeo is worth.

Let me know when you even get $4500 for your Alfa...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...Let me know when you even get $4500 for your Alfa...
There are plenty of Spiders that trade hands for more than $4500, and there certainly are Concours examples that are never advertised but are sold for quite a bit more. (One can see a lot of good ones every year at the AROC convention that takes place in a different part of the country.) These are not cars that have been neglected however, for once a car has been let go, be it by not keeping up with the maintenance, wear and tear or just letting the car sit, then it makes no financial sense to do anything but simply enjoy them as drivers. And those are the vast majority of the Spiders.

Best regards,

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kind of sorry I brought it up, but...

...Next time I go in town (to pick up the rebuilt starter for my $25,000 Alfa) I'll see about snapping a pic or two of the car just for fun.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Only $25,000? With all due respect- I've seen guys document their work right here to beautifully restore their cars, then try to sell them in con-coors shape right here- no bites, lots of critiques, all based on a few photos taken with a cell phone camera.

We're all expressing our opinions here about someone who tried to make what he thought was a reasonable offer on my favorite marquee, and his offer was rebuked. I plan to drive my car until it dies, and keep it running for as long as possible with the help of this here BB, and give my opinion to boot. Forget Rush Limbaugh the Addict...and even if these cars went up in value, I'll still drive it everyday and drive it hard. That's what I bought it for, and I enjoy it more than any other car I have, especially when I learn what my Porsche, Corvette, Ferrari owner friends are paying to baby their car because it might be worth a small fortune someday- or they hope.

Peace Out.

Duke

·
Registered
381 Posts
I keep telling my wife that there is big money in restoring Alfas - I don't tell her that is true only if you are the restorer and not the owner.

This month's Jaguar World magazine has a story about an early '50s Jaguar sedan that has had 80,000 pounds invested in it over the years. It just sold at auction for 27,000 pounds.

I'm about to invest at least ten big ones in a complete restoration and upgrade of my Lancia. I expect my restorer will be buying a new boat by the time he is finished.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1987 Alfa Romeo

Here is the car in question. I came across this today. I don't know why they posted to Orlando CL and not on our local CL.
BTW, he came down a grand!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts