Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THIS happened last night but only discovered today so I added "this" to list of things not to do in her 164 or any car she is driving.

So this quote from my Alfisti friend Skip the Duetto driver and our MAARC Chapter's "Chief Scrutineer" for all things Alfa and then some http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/447026-post9.html applies to our fix to problem.

We were late as per usual to leave for her soccer game so I decided I would drive us so she could hop out of the car once at field while I found a parking place (always an issue at mid morning game).

Right away I noticed some thing wierd - steering wheel had to be turned about 45 degrees to right to go straight and car was tracking wierd. I had just rotated tires last week and test drove car then and all was A OK.

Parked car in lot with steering wheel centered and both front wheels turned way off center. So I asked did you hit something? Well, yes was slowly forthcoming from her mouth as she rushed off to play soccer.

Next I noticed right rear wheel toed out and looking underneath car noticed right rear suspension adjustable rod U-shaped in the middle. Bingo U-shaped rod now shorter than straight rod. So what did she to?

She hit a high cement curb with both right side tires. Why did she does this?
She was driving car and with her iPod in hand changing/searching for a song.
Her boyfriend the passenger had ask her to give him iPod so he could change song but no she thought she could do it.

Well THIS (no hands on an iPod when driving) has been added to list of prohibited things to do when driving like not using cell phone.

As for her 164, Skip who just happened to come over to my Alfa hideout for another matter. I was ready to jack up car and replace suspension rod and hope front wheels would go straight ahead again with a centered steering wheel and he suggested we take another jack and a block of wood and try to straighten rod, which we did not perfect but we got toe in again to rear wheel and rim was not bent.

While I was under there noticed rear crossmember bent/damaged from tow driver trick I am sure after she had car towed by police for illegal parking in a fire hydrant zone. That trick cost her $100 for tow and 35 for parking ticket sometime earlier in school year.

Looks like we will be replacing rear cross member and semi straightened rod before we get another 4 wheel thrust alignment but car is safely driveable.

Lucky I decided to drive car today before she ended up peeling rubber off rear tire going to work and school.

As for temp repair as Skip said http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/447026-post9.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
I feel your pain. I have three daughters, who have done some amazing things to my cars. While driving my VW GTI daughter # 1 cut off a gravel truck/trailer rig; the gravel trailer fishtailed and slapped the back end of the GTI like Thor's hammer - GTI totaled. Daughter # 2 was driving my Nissan SE-R down the freeway when the throttle cable broke. Instead of shutting off the engine she shifted into neutral... boom... SE-R engine totaled. Daughter # 3 claims she doesn't even know what she did to my Nissan Maxima - I just walked into the garage one morning to see that half of the front end fiberglass body kit I hand fabricated (100 hrs) was half ripped away and the ceramic coated exhaust Y-pipe was flattened. I'm not planning to let them drive my 164.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Man, sounds like if I ever have kids they are buying there own car, just like I had to. At least your daughter was not injured Steve, just the car, it could have been much worse, which I am sure you are grateful for. I have never really wrecked a car, but have come **** close. On one alfa drive we were hustling through the twisties, turned in a little too tight, and my rear tire caught the drop off on the edge of the narrow road. Rear end stepped out, counter steered, saved it, boy that was exciting! After that I slowed down, I think my alfa was thankful for it

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Steve, I did the same thing to my poor 164. I was paying too close attention to my rear view mirror while making a right turn. My rear trailing arm was in a U like yours. My bushings were also shot after that. It's a lesson learned though.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
I shudder everytime I think of the close calls I had when I was 16. It took my son about 5 years to tell me he had my 164S doing 140mph! And he was old enough to know better. Some of us never grow up:)

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Actually! I was only going 80 and I didn't hear a sound. I didn't even notice the engine wasn't running until I stepped on the gas... :eek:
Let's see what kind of stories can I tell on myself? How about the time I was in the hammer lane in my GTV6 in 5th gear about 80 or so going to meet prospective buyer when all of a sudden I thought I had blown a tire but I too had no power when I pushed accelerator. After the initial shudder and I realized engine powering down I slapped for neutral and weaved myself through light traffic to shoulder.

After a roll back later ride home all $235 dollars worth and a compression check that later revealed little to no compression in all holes, I removed heads and found evidence of shrapnel on top of all the pistons I finally found one intake valve missing entire lower half of valve guide.

Two heads and a short block later, etc., I had car back on the road and maybe a year later I finally did sell car and I see by carfax it has been sold again.

AS FOR SONS AND DAUGHTERS driving or not driving Italian cars after raising a son with Fiats, Lancias one Alfetta GTV and then Maseratis and my other daughter with a Fiat Brava and Milano Silver how could I deprive my youngest of the Alfa experience as it is to hard to find any Fiat Bravas nowadays.

My older daughter thinks I have my youngest brain washed but I guess she still enjoyed her days in the Milano the best before she went the Jeep SUV route after her Milano blew intake plenum and spit a couple teeth off the timing belt with the resulting bent valve syndrome.

How does that John Mayer song go about daughters?

Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well THIS (no hands on an iPod when driving) has been added to list of prohibited things to do when driving like not using cell phone.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/447026-post9.html
Its frustrating to see people talkin on phone while driving and driving other people nuts on the road, they wont move on and change lanes abruptly etc. If you cant do two things at time, I would say pull over and talk as long as you want orelse shut it off till you go home.

Its more dangerous using iPhone in car.... among many other drawbacks using an iPhone, one is you can never be able to dail a number on iPhone without looking at it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
How does that John Mayer song go about daughters?

Fathers be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters too
Excellent :)

I discovered about four years ago that operating an iPod in the car is not easy (I hooked up my third-gen iPod to my Blaupunkt stereo and then discovered that browsing the artist/song lists with the touch-sensitive wheel is very tricky to land on the right songs while negotiating winding, bumpy two-lane roads). Of course it is more important to have exactly the right track than it is to have the right tracking (of the steering).

In my latest 164 I have fitted a no-brand direct import Chinese stereo with a 4" LCD so that, as well as talking on the phone through the Bluetooth interface and checking the view out of the reversing camera, you can watch DVDs. That's quite nice (they have subtitles too) but the touchscreen (for controlling all functions except volume) appears as a crude overlay on top of the supermarket-DVD-player graphics. You have to aim really well with a fingernail to get the next-track 'button' when playing MP3s. See screenshot below, taken just now.

The Chinese have all the technology at an amazing price (US$100 including TV aerial), but they don't have the feel for the design (yet). The touchscreen could have easily been large buttons on a blank background, except that no-one thought of that (seemingly). It's only a software problem, because the four 'real' buttons on the left are well-shaped and illuminated, and the volume knob is gunmetal grey and feels nice. This would have been a tall ask for a Chinese domestic product ten years ago.

The screen also doesn't dim at night, so it lights up the interior. Fortunately I have procured an unbroken stereo door (the flap that folds down over the stereo, that I don't think US-market 164s have) which involved a dawn-raid crawl through broken glass into a 164 sandwiched between two cars and with two other cars stacked on top in a crushing yard - got the trim with door and fold-out ashtray for free, though.

-Alex

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Excellent :)

I discovered about four years ago that operating an iPod in the car is not easy (I hooked up my third-gen iPod to my Blaupunkt stereo and then discovered that browsing the artist/song lists with the touch-sensitive wheel is very tricky to land on the right songs while negotiating winding, bumpy two-lane roads). Of course it is more important to have exactly the right track than it is to have the right tracking (of the steering).

In my latest 164 I have fitted a no-brand direct import Chinese stereo with a 4" LCD so that, as well as talking on the phone through the Bluetooth interface and checking the view out of the reversing camera, you can watch DVDs. That's quite nice (they have subtitles too) but the touchscreen (for controlling all functions except volume) appears as a crude overlay on top of the supermarket-DVD-player graphics. You have to aim really well with a fingernail to get the next-track 'button' when playing MP3s. See screenshot below, taken just now.

The Chinese have all the technology at an amazing price (US$100 including TV aerial), but they don't have the feel for the design (yet). The touchscreen could have easily been large buttons on a blank background, except that no-one thought of that (seemingly). It's only a software problem, because the four 'real' buttons on the left are well-shaped and illuminated, and the volume knob is gunmetal grey and feels nice. This would have been a tall ask for a Chinese domestic product ten years ago.

The screen also doesn't dim at night, so it lights up the interior. Fortunately I have procured an unbroken stereo door (the flap that folds down over the stereo, that I don't think US-market 164s have) which involved a dawn-raid crawl through broken glass into a 164 sandwiched between two cars and with two other cars stacked on top in a crushing yard - got the trim with door and fold-out ashtray for free, though.

-Alex

We are not going there on her car believe me!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Steve, you have my simpathy. I have a daughter who drove under a stake-body truck in a MacDonalds parking lot and did $2,000 damage, thanks to the distraction of 5 giddy screaming girlfriends in the car. Amazing lesson learned! She has actually turned out to be a good driver, but then you have to inorder to survive in Boston traffic. It is safer in Rome!

Your Buddy, Jim in Cristiansburg VA
`88 Spider Quad
`91 - 164L
My daughter now drives a `94 Nissan Altama

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
I can sympathize also. I really wanted my daughter to "get" the Alfa experience. That's why I didn't mind her learning a manual on our 164S. She was reluctant at first, and couldn't understand why I insisted on her learning a manual. I kept telling her that it would keep her involved in act or art of driving, and develop an awareness of what the car is communicating to her, the driver via sight, sound, and feel.

After two months of driving back and forth to school, work, soccer, etc., she was really getting the hang of it, and being "involved" in her driving. She would come home and sometimes exclaim: "I LOVE driving that car!!" She did buy an adaptor for her ipod for the tape deck, but was always sure to tell me that she wouldn't fool with it as she was driving.

On a warm October night, she helped me change the rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment, as I explained in as best I could about the workings of the internal combustion engine. We both enjoyed ourselves that night, and I could tell that she was finally "getting" it.

About a week and a half ago, it was a rainy, windy, Saturday. She wanted to take the Alfa to be with her boyfriend. They were going to the mall, then to eat, and later to his parents house to watch movies. I resisted in letting her have the car that day, especially with the nor'easter forecast, I didn't want her driving in a heavy rain storm.

"Excuse me for being old-fashioned, but shouldn't the boyfriend be driving??"
I said.

"His father is working, so he can't get his truck." She replied.

You pick your battles, and I reluctantly agreed.

"Please, please, be careful." My concern was more for her well being, and not the Alfa.

At 8PM that night, while enjoying a nice eggplant parm at our good friends house, I got the call....

Thank God no one was in the car, and no one was hurt.

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
At 8PM that night, while enjoying a nice eggplant parm at our good friends house, I got the call....

Thank God no one was in the car, and no one was hurt.
It's a great relief to hear no one was hurt. But I have some feelings for that really nice looking S too being destroyed for nothing of owner's fault. But, maybe the time has come for it to take RIP. Hope you will find another nice Alfa for her.

-Pavan.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
It's a great relief to hear no one was hurt. But I have some feelings for that really nice looking S too being destroyed for nothing of owner's fault. But, maybe the time has come for it to take RIP. Hope you will find another nice Alfa for her.

-Pavan.
Thanks Pavan, the 164 is tentatively going to another bb'er to live on as a donor to his 164S. The head-gasket, t-belt, H2O pump, tensioner are just three months old. The motor mounts are about a year old. A lot of good parts.

I would love to find another Alfa for her, but alas, my wife wanted a newer car--something like a Lincoln LS or Jag S and X type. We have compromised and met on a 3 or 4 year old Saab 9-3 with a manual (maybe even a Viggen)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Thanks Pavan, the 164 is tentatively going to another bb'er to live on as a donor to his 164S. The head-gasket, t-belt, H2O pump, tensioner are just three months old. The motor mounts are about a year old. A lot of good parts.

I would love to find another Alfa for her, but alas, my wife wanted a newer car--something like a Lincoln LS or Jag S and X type. We have compromised and met on a 3 or 4 year old Saab 9-3 with a manual (maybe even a Viggen)

or a used Saab 9-3 Aero V6, lovely!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts

Saabs are very nice... except for some cheap GM plastic pieces here and there inside... other than that I have a good level of respect for them. They are such cars that you can easily differentiate from the rest anywhere you go. Their Aero trim levels are wonderful.... but their I4 trubos are also nice.

We used to have a 9-3 which was rear-ended and totaled very recently.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts