Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get to the back bolts to take seats out?

Also, I am trying to take out ignition. I see that there is a torq or hex bolt in the back - which is it and what size?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
You don't say what year Spider you are referring to, but I'll give this a try anyway... The back seats bolts should be exposed, if you move the seats all the way forward. What are you trying to do with the ignition? (Take out what to replace with what??)

Best regards,

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Sorry. It's a 1984. I thought I moved the seat forward, but will try again. I am parting out the car. The seats are going into my 1981. The ignition switch is being sold.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Administrator
16,420 Posts
IIRC, I think there may be a piece under one of the front bolts that prevents the seat from moving too far forwards (under normal use). Like a square washer with a tab bent upwards. Remove that washer/tab thing and the seat will move forwards another inch or three - making it a lot easier to get at the rear bolts.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yup, there 'should' be a forward motion stopper tab thing there, at least on one rail per seat. (mine were on the tunnel side if it matters, and they will stick in the rail fooling you into believing they are welded or something)

The ignition switch has a shear bolt in it if it's still the factory install. (it was a 10mm right up til the moment the head got sheared, same as on distributor body where they put that anti-tamper rig on, and will look like a pan head once it's been tighened up and snapped off)

You'll need to whip out the dremel and cut a slot in it so you can remove it with a flat tip screwdriver.

It doesn't have a whole lot of torque on it, but it can be a PITA to get at to cut the slot.

If it's an allen or torx, then someone has been in there before and your guess is as good as anyones.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Mabe this'll help some. (and if I remember right, the 'what gets left' part is actually down a little bit in a pocket in the mount so you can't just grab it with vice grips)

EDIT: And don't forget to turn the key so the column lock post disengages or you'll have a hella time getting it off ;)

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts