Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting on the straps I got from IAP - Double straps, green one side and white on the other - Does it matter which sides are in and out ? I'd like to put white on the out side so it looks like the canvas I am replacing. I see most put green on the out side and on the inside towards the axsel. Does it make any difference ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Is hanging the aksel ,first on the car from the strap ,and then connecting the spring/ trailing arm with a threaded rod (spring compresser)/ jack a good way to put the axsel on the Alfa ? The Alfa is on a dolly so ,it might be a little high for the jack.
Thanks !

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That's how I did it last week. Worked fine -it can be a little fiddly wiggling the trailing arm into the right place for the rear through-bolt as you lift it with the jack, but not too bad. Spring compressors did help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got in from the garage , it's hanging in the straps now. Saving the springs for tomorrow !

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also I am interested to understand if is there any difference in mounting the straps with the green side inside or outside.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Can't help there sorry, mine were earlier one-piece items, for which I had some drive belt cut to mimic the originals.

·
Administrator
16,394 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hmmm - That does look right ! Don't think I did it like that. I'll have to look tomorrow . That steel piece between the strap and the body wasn't on mine when I took it off , but I did buy it. Just : body-strap(singel canvas) -alu block- stop plate. Pretty sure it had never been off. But looking at diagrams , there are several sett ups , with different parts -that where not on mine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
here's a picture.

My Spider 1.6 '74 use exactly the same configuration. I think that the steel piece between the staps and the body is to avoid that the bolts can hit the body.
My idea about the straps side is that the canvas side should be inside because it has less friction on the axles, but it is only my idea.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys , I didn't get it right , and I will put them in order. The steel spacer I bought is shorter , and has a sharper curve on the ends . Almost follows the curve on the Alu block.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I was reading for sale ad of this gorgeous GTC and the last pic caught my eye. Take a look:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/542337-my-stunning-gtc-1965-a.html

My Spider 1.6 '74 use exactly the same configuration. I think that the steel piece between the staps and the body is to avoid that the bolts can hit the body.
My idea about the straps side is that the canvas side should be inside because it has less friction on the axles, but it is only my idea.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
I understand concern about green side having more friction on the axle, but how often does the axle drop that far for green side to stick to it?

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,010 Posts
The straps for earlier Dunlop brake cars is different (wider and not doubled up) from later cars and mounts differently. The seam mounts under the metal bump bracket at the top. There is no metal grafting clamp. From your first pic it appears you have Dunlop rear brakes.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Indeed, as Alfanuts says, early cars had just one strap, and were not split (no joining plate), but instead the strap ends were fully overlapped (not butted together) at the top, creating two layers of strap there, above the securing plate. The GTC pictured is what your originals looked like, and are wider than the 2-strap items at around 45mm.

If you really want to stay original, and can't find any, I had some made by a supplier of industrial drive belts (like you see on steam engines) for $10 a pop. I just had to punch securing holes in the right places. It was identical to the original.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts