Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a LSD diff in my Super and today I stabbed in the axle shafts. When I turn the drive shaft by hand and hold the wheel, I can continue to turn the drive shaft. If I try the same thing with my GTV, also with LSD, holding the wheel stops the drive shaft. Have I missed something? Do I need to pull the axles and reinstall? Bum diff?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The resistance to holding without a load on the wheels is a matter of the amount of preload on the clutch plates. Some racers like to shim the clutch pack in an effort to have the LSD action "come in" sooner. The Alfa differential limited slip is cam operated. When power is applied it will have the same effect on both cars.

I recommend using Red Line 75-90 NS gear oil. They do not recommend it for LSD differentials, but it works fine in an Alfa, and will give more grip when needed, with no chatter on the street.

·
Richard Jemison
7,188 Posts
Lsd

It should be free. It will give more lock up loose. With preload it actually has less torque transfer as the shaft does not move in the ramps. The other is probably binding. Change to Redline NS. Tap on the other cars axle hubs with a lead hammer to vibrate parts into free position and you should find it will allow similar movement.. There is a thread somewhere in the BB recently regarding testing a LSD.
Rj

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen for the info. It's just that I have a steep driveway and I really didn't want to have to push the car back up.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you are concerned about everything engaging: hold one axle with one hand, hold the pinion with the other hand, then try turning the other axle. It should not turn.

Make sure someone is flming: I can't wait to see how you do this :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
RJ, you are right on. Over shimming the pack acts like a locked differential for a few laps, then the clutches wear from lack of lube, then when it gets close to clearance specs the LSD starts working as designed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts